Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

+12
dunnas
thewalrus
Pennzoil GT-R
ryguy79
Honor
Talon
Tailhappy
SBF
JaysonAych
Dodge
Turbojett
Les_Vipers_rule
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The new pony cars, which is your favorite? - Page 2 Empty Re: The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

Post by Swerve Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:43 am

Hammond said he'd take the Camaro.

The new E Class manages to look very conservative and yet nothing like a Mercedes. The shape is boring and the details look like they were added last-minute (especially the LEDs). The AMG version doesn't add much flair. Which is a shame, because the C63 turns the most boring car in its class into the coolest.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

The new pony cars, which is your favorite? - Page 2 Empty Re: The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

Post by Swerve Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:45 am

And there was a newish Mustang convertible near me on the local winding road. I'd definitely take the Ford.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:37 am

Turbojett wrote:
SBF wrote:It wasn't a very good comparison considering they were two completely different type of cars. They needed to have another V8, Rear drive coupe like the Mustang. I honestly thought they were gonna bring out an M3 or something.

It was a chance to make an American car look bad (by matching it with a car that's rediculously out of it's league). When have they ever passed that up?
Next week, Ford Fusion Hybrid versus Mercedes-Benz SLS.

hammond loves the camaro....paranoid much

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 am

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:How the fuck is an E63 AMG a tuner car??

Easy, its built by Mercedes as an E Class first, then AMG takes it and modifies it. Kind of like Saleen and Roush for the Mustang, except AMG is a factory tuner shop like SVT at Ford before it got sent to the shit can.

Muscle Cars like the Camaro and Mustang are from the assembly line, big, dumb, and fun.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:58 pm

SBF wrote:

Easy, its built by Mercedes as an E Class first, then AMG takes it and modifies it. Kind of like Saleen and Roush for the Mustang, except AMG is a factory tuner shop like SVT at Ford before it got sent to the shit can.

Muscle Cars like the Camaro and Mustang are from the assembly line, big, dumb, and fun.

AMG are completely in house these days....unless you consider the M5/RS6 to be a tuner car too

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:

AMG are completely in house these days....unless you consider the M5/RS6 to be a tuner car too

As far as I have read, AMG is still a separate company from Mercedes even though Mercedes owns them. AMG has always done everything outside of the assembly line and I think Mercedes wants to keep it that way. The M cars and RS cars are developed under their companies banner, the drivetrains and suspensions are developed before production or even right after and then they are added in on the assembly line so they can produce as many as they want. AMG cars are more exclusive and are limited production vehicles and I'm pretty sure all of the AMG engines are hand built.

The M and RS cars are more muscle car than tuner car, because nobody has touched them from the assembly line.

If Tuner doesn't fit your bill, than we could also call the AMG cars "Hot Rods".
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 pm

SBF wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:

As far as I have read, AMG is still a separate company from Mercedes even though Mercedes owns them. AMG has always done everything outside of the assembly line and I think Mercedes wants to keep it that way. The M cars and RS cars are developed under their companies banner, the drivetrains and suspensions are developed before production or even right after and then they are added in on the assembly line so they can produce as many as they want. AMG cars are more exclusive and are limited production vehicles and I'm pretty sure all of the AMG engines are hand built.

The M and RS cars are more muscle car than tuner car, because nobody has touched them from the assembly line.

If Tuner doesn't fit your bill, than we could also call the AMG cars "Hot Rods".

you've read wrong then :)

these days they do some one off stuff but the majority is completely in house

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
SBF wrote:It wasn't a very good comparison considering they were two completely different type of cars. They needed to have another V8, Rear drive coupe like the Mustang. I honestly thought they were gonna bring out an M3 or something.

It was a chance to make an American car look bad (by matching it with a car that's rediculously out of it's league). When have they ever passed that up?
Next week, Ford Fusion Hybrid versus Mercedes-Benz SLS.

hammond loves the camaro....paranoid much
it was a wisecrack....sense of humor, not so much?
I felt I had to add the parands as a setup because apparently there are people on here who don't get jokes very easily. :rimshot:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Swerve wrote:Hammond said he'd take the Camaro.

The new E Class manages to look very conservative and yet nothing like a Mercedes. The shape is boring and the details look like they were added last-minute (especially the LEDs). The AMG version doesn't add much flair. Which is a shame, because the C63 turns the most boring car in its class into the coolest.
I saw an E-cabrio the other day, Aircap in place. I have to say that it looks ridiculous with a "spoiler" on top of the windshield header.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:

is there any actual info supporting how AMGs are built? Because all the info I can find on the Internet contradicts itself. I see more of the AMG stuff being built seperate, so I would assume they are. However I just found some people on a Merc board saying that the last "hand built" AMGs were in the late 90's then they started using an actual assembly line, but it's still not real info. I would like to know, because I was under the assumption that AMG was one of the last factory tuners.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 pm

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/#/about-amg

maybe something in there, alot of info.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:46 am

SBF wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
SBF wrote:

is there any actual info supporting how AMGs are built? Because all the info I can find on the Internet contradicts itself. I see more of the AMG stuff being built seperate, so I would assume they are. However I just found some people on a Merc board saying that the last "hand built" AMGs were in the late 90's then they started using an actual assembly line, but it's still not real info. I would like to know, because I was under the assumption that AMG was one of the last factory tuners.

the engines are still 'hand' built by one man, but they are now fully integrated with mercedes benz and an official product line of the company.

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:24 am

Anyone remember Top Gear's CL65 test? They mention AMG's claims that the engines are hand built but also their production figures - something like 10,000 engines a year. It's a highly unlikely combination.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 am

I just saw a recent factory made episode where they tour the amg plant, and they were still hand building engines, one person to one engine. Granted a large part of it is robotics controlled)
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

things can still be technically "hand built" on an assembly line. not that AMG is an assembly line.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2