Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

+12
dunnas
thewalrus
Pennzoil GT-R
ryguy79
Honor
Talon
Tailhappy
SBF
JaysonAych
Dodge
Turbojett
Les_Vipers_rule
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The new pony cars, which is your favorite? Empty The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 pm

THE BRAND NEW PONY CARS!

Chevrolet Camaro SS
Dodge Challenger SRT
Ford Mustang GT

If you could pick one to own, drive and play with which one and why?

Each car is way cool and would be a lot of fun to own and drive. Performance wise the 2011 Mustang GT stands out above the other two in most if not all performance areas. The Camaro in black looks very Darth Vader like but has bad outward visibility. That said I still think the Challenger is the best looking of the three and probably the best one to live with as a drivers car. It does everything well to even outstandingly great. It is said to be rather easy to live with but no matter what it has the best looks to my eyes.

Pick your fav. from this list on new pony cars.

Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

The new pony cars, which is your favorite? Empty Re: The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

Post by Turbojett Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Camaro SS for me, of course. I wouldn't even mind a V6/RS either. V6 pony cars are no longer slow-as-shit chick/poseur cars, and are finally sporty in their own right, though on a smaller scale as their V8 brothers. And the poor outward visibility isn't even as much of a problem as the mags make it out to be. That's the price you pay for style, I suppose, but people who really want it--and there's plenty--really only care about how hard it's going to push you into the seat when you take off at full tilt. For my money, I'd get an RS and modify the bejeezus out of it. But that SS is still oh-so tempting, and word on the street is that both engines will get even more power next year, and hopefully some handling modifications will acompany it to rub out the understeer everyone seems to make a big deal out of.

Second choice would definitely have to be a Mustang GT 5.0, because those things are absolutely beautiful. Plus they're unencumbered by normal-sedan undrpinnings like the other two, (I.e. Charger, Commodore) so it can be engineered to do exactly what its supposed to do. And again, I wouldn't even mind the V6 version.
Honestly though I wouldn't kick a single one of them out of bed--not even a Hyundai Genesis coupe (though it would be even better if they just stuffed the Tau into it).
I'm also pretty confident that a new Supra (See: FT-HS) is on the way--even though Toyota is constantly cycling back and forth from confirmation to denial--and one can only wonder just what kind of foil that will provide.
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

The new pony cars, which is your favorite? Empty Re: The new pony cars, which is your favorite?

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28 pm

I agree about the V-6's, well for the Camaro or Mustang. Both offer over 300 stock ponies. Dodge is suppose to be upping the V-6 on the Challenger to over 290 bhp next year which will help to turn the cruiser SE / SXT models but the Challenger is still a bit of a fatty and will still slip behind the Chevy and Fords in a performance ideal.

As Motortend did though on the V-6s one really has to look at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe too. Other than the Challengers looks even V-6 mode I'd have to then go with the Genesis Coupe for a V-6 choice.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:11 am

Top of the line: Challenger SRT-8
(until a z28 or other high performance more aggressive looking camaro comes out)
Base: Camaro
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:27 am

I was all about the Camaro, but the uprated engines for the Mustang I think give it an edge over the Camaro now. Reviews I've read indicate the Mustang handles pretty well despite its solid rear axle, and the Track Pack actually makes it feel better than the Camaro. The Mustang's weight advantage and better interior help it as well. I think the Camaro still has a better looking exterior than the Mustang, but it's no slouch with the refresh it got last year. Buyers of either one won't be disappointed, but I have to go with the 'Stang.

Challenger's just not even an option, IMHO. It looks downright mean, but it's too big, too thirsty, can't corner, the V-6 option is laughable, and is too plasticky on the inside.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:59 am

I would take any of them at this point.

A stone white Challenger R/T 5.7 w/ a 6-speed manual. I've always wanted my own Vanishing Point car.

As for the Mustang I would take the V6 - Awesome gas mileage and enough power to leave most ricers at the stoplight.

The Camaro, while still one of my favorites, I want to see if the Z/28 and if they do it right. Otherwise an SS with a manual will suit.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20 am

Challenger. Its slow, overweight, and handles like a soggy tampon, but its the best looking and its quick enough for day to day cruising.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 am

The new Mustangs are really growing on me. I'd definitely give one a chance if I was in the market right now...
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Mustang or Camaro, I'd have to test drive them to decide. Only in a V8, I'd pay a little more in gas for one.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I'd happily take a new mustang gt but i'm biased.
ryguy79
ryguy79
I'm so weary and tired of the world's weariness and tiredness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:33 am

Probably the Camaro SS. The Mustang is too damn ugly even if it is fast

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:11 pm

New Mustang in a heartbeat. Awesome car.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 pm

I would like a convertible but dont want the extra weight. But cruising on a nice warm sunny day with the top down and hearing that rumble behind me would be awesome.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:42 am

Convertibles are only nice if you are the driver, a passenger on the other hand, no.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:02 am

SBF wrote:Convertibles are only nice if you are the driver, a passenger on the other hand, no.

Are you suggesting that the driver will take the weather because it is his car and he'll happily freeze his balls off to look cool.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:09 am

Probably the Mustang.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 pm

dunnas wrote:
SBF wrote:Convertibles are only nice if you are the driver, a passenger on the other hand, no.

Are you suggesting that the driver will take the weather because it is his car and he'll happily freeze his balls off to look cool.
yes.

Last edited by Turbojett on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Mustang, Camaro sucks to drive

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm

you don't like anything GM makes on principal. ignore you.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm

No the camaro sucks, everything is exaggerated you can't see shit out of it, it looks stupid parked next to a normal car. The Mustang actually doesn't seem as fake and Retro.

I'd rather just have the aussie car it's based off from.

I actually kind of like the new "regal" not sure it should be called the regal but it doesn't seem like a bad car.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 pm

I just read the article with the 2011 Camaro and Mustang in R&T and REALLY am loving the Mustangs more and more. For a tick under 35k you get 412hp and the Brembo package. The little touches they made on the body look sexy as hell. The interior is still ugly but I could look past that (do on the spartan interior of the Evo). Especially since they finally put a 5.0 back in it and it revvs to 7k. I bet it would sound kick ass with an exhaust and tune (even though it's not pushrod anymore), and would probably get some decent ponies too. Wish it didn't weigh 3800lbs, though.

If I were buying something new I'd check out the STI, Evo, and this new Stang.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 am

The new mustang is awesome in Red. The last version was meh, but something about the trim now just makes it look badass. That light blue looks real good too.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 am

Say a new Shelby GT500 tonight. Sounded like angry butt sex. I love living in the ritzy suburbs.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Dent Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:31 am

No interest in the Challenger - big, bloaty thing. The new Camaro is nice and all but leaves me a bit cold. It should be awesome but meh. I do like the Mustang though.
Arthur Dent
Arthur Dent
Did I mention how rueful and woeful I am?

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:06 pm

The Challenger is also made by Chrysler

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

1300ZUK wrote:No the camaro sucks, everything is exaggerated you can't see shit out of it, it looks stupid parked next to a normal car. The Mustang actually doesn't seem as fake and Retro.

I actually kind of like the new "regal" not sure it should be called the regal but it doesn't seem like a bad car.

the only thing exaggerated is the "OMG the windows are smaller than a malibus! I can't see out of it!" that the car rags are spouting. the greenhouse views are at least on par with the Challenger. The blind spots are bigger, the backlight is smaller, and the quarter windows are the same damn size as the Camaro's--I even saw this for myself. but nobody ever gives the dodge any guff for poor visibility, even though you can't see shit out of it either. And the exaggerated styling is what MAKES it, and it came out just right, not stupid at all. It looks the goods, and it's got the muscle to back up the menace.

And I refuse to believe that A Camaro SS can score better than a 310hp, better-handling 2010 Mustang GT, with MT editors flat raving about the Camaro's looks during the COTY competition-- "We can look past the gun-slit side windows", "Ouch, is this thing beautiful"; and then, seven months later, they can't stand the styling, and a 305hp V6, slightly poorer handling, slower-to-60 than an '05 GT Mustang bests it. And I'm sure you guys agree--there's a little something fishy about that. Granted the Mustang is awesome, and its win was a foregone conclusion. but perhaps Fiat--I mean Chrysler--back-kicked them more than GM this time.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:45 am

Car and driver just did a comparo of both V8 and V6 models of the Camaro and Mustang, but they liked the Mustang more. I think it's more of the hype that they have a 5.0 again and they've refined it more.

Now, the V6 Mustang is faster than the Camaro. Makes sense considering that it has one more hp, a little more torque, 240 lbs less, and a shorter rear end gear. Only thing is, is that Ford limited it to 113 mph while the Camaro is 157 mph (Jesus Christ).

Now the V8 counterparts are of course impressive, but the Mustang is doing damn well for itself. Smaller engine, 14 less hp, less torque, much shorter rear end gear, 280 lbs less, gets better fuel mileage, and it keeps up with the Camaro. Both 4.6 sec 0-60mph and the Mustang is .2 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile. I'm definitely impressed.

I think Chevy needs to get their shit together and shed some weight on the Camaro. I still really like the Camaro, but the Mustang is no doubt impressive.

Chrysler isn't even trying.

SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:19 am

Top Gear did an American v German muscle car comparison. Camaro SS v E63 AMG. Twice the price...but more than twice the car.

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:45 am

It wasn't a very good comparison considering they were two completely different type of cars. They needed to have another V8, Rear drive coupe like the Mustang. I honestly thought they were gonna bring out an M3 or something.

SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah that comparison was worthless.

Now the 4 dr sports luxo one was a different story.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:58 am

Turbojett wrote:
1300ZUK wrote:No the camaro sucks, everything is exaggerated you can't see shit out of it, it looks stupid parked next to a normal car. The Mustang actually doesn't seem as fake and Retro.

the only thing exaggerated is the "OMG the windows are smaller than a malibus! I can't see out of it!" that the car rags are spouting. the greenhouse views are at least on par with the Challenger. The blind spots are bigger, the backlight is smaller, and the quarter windows are the same damn size as the Camaro's--I even saw this for myself. but nobody ever gives the dodge any guff for poor visibility, even though you can't see shit out of it either. And the exaggerated styling is what MAKES it, and it came out just right, not stupid at all. It looks the goods, and it's got the muscle to back up the menace.

And I refuse to believe that A Camaro SS can score better than a 310hp, better-handling 2010 Mustang GT, with MT editors flat raving about the Camaro's looks during the COTY competition-- "We can look past the gun-slit side windows", "Ouch, is this thing beautiful"; and then, seven months later, they can't stand the styling, and a 305hp V6, slightly poorer handling, slower-to-60 than an '05 GT Mustang bests it. And I'm sure you guys agree--there's a little something fishy about that. Granted the Mustang is awesome, and its win was a foregone conclusion. but perhaps Fiat--I mean Chrysler--back-kicked them more than GM this time.

The Camaro sucks and the challenger sucks more, because seeing out of the car is the least of your worries.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm

1300ZUK wrote:Yeah that comparison was worthless.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in it. They brought out the Camaro, and you knew they were going to bring something else out to play with it, and it was...a....Benz? WTF?

Two vehicles that could not be more different and that their respective buyers are not cross-shopping. Lame.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:45 pm

any of those cars, then i'd sell it for ~70k euro (~100k usd) and everybody has got a bargain.

ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:55 pm

JaysonAych wrote:

Yeah, I was really disappointed in it. They brought out the Camaro, and you knew they were going to bring something else out to play with it, and it was...a....Benz? WTF?

Two vehicles that could not be more different and that their respective buyers are not cross-shopping. Lame.

a lot of people on Autoblog were bitching about the comparison and some people were sayin shit like "oh you can see who the GM fanbois are". I don't know if anyone fought back, but if you had two cells in your brain and pay attention to the automotive world, you would know that the comparison was lame.

That AMG isn't a German "Muscle Car", its a tuner vehicle and yes there is a difference. They really should have pitched something else to compare against the Camaro.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:00 pm

SBF wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

a lot of people on Autoblog were bitching about the comparison and some people were sayin shit like "oh you can see who the GM fanbois are". I don't know if anyone fought back, but if you had two cells in your brain and pay attention to the automotive world, you would know that the comparison was lame.

That AMG isn't a German "Muscle Car", its a tuner vehicle and yes there is a difference. They really should have pitched something else to compare against the Camaro.

For all the hoopla they make about having to throw out all the times for a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car every time they get a new one, because it's oh-so-unfair to compare lap times from one four-banger shitbox that barely has more than 100 hp to another four-banger shitbox that barely has more than 100 hp, they had no problem comparing a value-priced basic sports coupe to a plush gadget-laden high dollar tuner Merc that's far out of the realm of possibility for most Camaro buyers.

Wouldn't be so bad if this season of Top Gear wasn't so meh. The £5000 challenge they had the week before was heavily contrived and not much of a challenge since they made up the scores at the end. The Reliant Robin bits have been great, but everything else has been fairly boring.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:22 pm

How the fuck is an E63 AMG a tuner car??

The point of the comparison was cars that have engines far too big for their own good. An M3 doesn't fit that bill, only one of the ultra powerful Merc/Audi luxobarges or American muslce cars do.

I wub the Quattroporte. And i saw the V12 AML plated Rapide last weekend....Astons are starting to look overly contrived.

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm surprised you can get an E36 M3 (albeit a crash damaged one) for 4 thousand pounds in England. A 15 year old (non-crash damaged) car here won't have rust, but then it will also be at least price the price.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 pm

A.k.a twice the price...

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 pm

SBF wrote:It wasn't a very good comparison considering they were two completely different type of cars. They needed to have another V8, Rear drive coupe like the Mustang. I honestly thought they were gonna bring out an M3 or something.

It was a chance to make an American car look bad (by matching it with a car that's rediculously out of it's league). When have they ever passed that up?
Next week, Ford Fusion Hybrid versus Mercedes-Benz SLS.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Turbojett wrote:
Next week, Ford Fusion Hybrid versus Mercedes-Benz SLS.

they've been there... kind of
http://www.streetfire.net/video/128-top-gear-daihatsu-materia-vs-ascari-a10_168699.htm
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next