Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BMW Gran Coupe Concept

+3
SBF
Turbofrog
Turbojett
7 posters

Go down

BMW Gran Coupe Concept Empty BMW Gran Coupe Concept

Post by Turbojett Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

BMW Gran Coupe Concept Empty Re: BMW Gran Coupe Concept

Post by Turbofrog Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 pm

I wonder if it's more 6-series sans back doors. Looks too big to be a 3. Or I sure hope it is, anyway.

Turbofrog
mis'-e-ry (n.) 1. wretchedness of condition or circumstances. 2. Me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 pm

But yeah, goooorgeous.

Turbofrog

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:49 am

5 series for sure.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:41 am

BMW Gran Coupe Concept Mr__Horse_by_Ren_and_Stimpy_Club
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:49 am

but they just redesigned the 5-series, and the next one in line for a redesgin is the 3, suposedly for MY2012 or '13. Besides, I think it looks small enough to be a 3. Plus it looks mostly mainstream enough if you productionize the design.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:59 am

hmmm....I take that back, I just read something stating that the F12 6-series is due about the same time, either 2011 or '12. Interesting.
Though I still think we're looking at F30, it may be the 6-er.
But what about that Efficient Dynamics concept? Could that end up being the 6?
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:56 am

See this is the shit that pisses me off. The 6-Series was and has been a 2-Door Coupe, not a 4-door. There is no reason to have another 4-door model between the 5-series and 7-series. Redesign the 6-Series to be something awesome, not a joke.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:33 am

Who cares, why does a new model have to affect your nostalgia for past models?
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FOUR DOOR COUPE AGGGHHHHHH!!!
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm

VS wrote:Who cares, why does a new model have to affect your nostalgia for past models?

Its not that it ruins my nostalgia for the past models, it's that there is no need for a 4-door version of a Grand Tourer. They already have a 4-door sedan as the 5 and 7 series, there doesn't need to be a 4-door inbetween model. It was a cool idea to bring the 6-series back, but it should stay a 2 door GT not make an along side or replacement model with a 4-door "coupe". Realistically it should be a competitior to some other GT cars out on the market.

And I agree with tailhappy that there is no such thing as a 4-door coupe.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 pm

what would differentiate between a 4 door car being a coupe or sedan? because the guy says so? a coupe is a 2 door. a sedan is a 4 door. i dont care what bmw or anyone says.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:04 pm

I don't think we'll see anything like this in production as is. Probably a styling preview for the 6er, sans the rear two doors.

The "4-door coupe" nonsense label would probably apply to a theoretical 9-series, but nothing else.

Turbofrog

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:59 am

this is just like how bmw insists on calling their SUVs "sports activity vehicles" :Swerve:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 am

well, that's why I was saying it would probably have to be the 3-series, but if it's not, all you have to do is drop the rear doors, and elongate the front ones, and bam, it's a coupe.
but really i think they're saying it's the "roofline" that makes it a "coupe".
A coupe is a 2-door car based off a sedan with an altered roofline that pays no heed to rear passengers (if any) because it's not made to carry rear passengers, though sometimes it could if it had to. Or perhaps a 2-door car based off its own with said sloping roofline. A two-door vehicle based off of a sedan whose roofline is not altered any different from the sedan on which its based is simply just a 2-door sedan.
however, a four-door sedan with a coupe-like roofline is still just a sedan with shitty headroom.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am

I saw a Passat this morning that was the closest any sedan has come to mistaking it at first for a coupe. But I agree with everyone else that a four door is a sedan. Someone on the Car & Driver forums straightened me out to the fact that not even all two doors are coupes and that there is such a thing as a two door sedan. It's B-pillar dependent, apparently. Although that might be getting a bit pedantic for most.

Anyway, that BMW would make a nice 3 Series. Too bad any four door without a coupe tag has to be 1.8 metres tall these days.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:51 am

well, like I said, it's more about how the roof is shaped, or "cut" in regards to height past the b-pillar. if it slopes away with little regard to headroom, it's a coupe (ie.Camaro, Mustang, BMW 6er) . if it's got largely the same proportions as a two-door than it does as a four-door, it's still a 2D sedan (ie. Monaro, BMW 3-series and arguably Challenger to some extent).
b-pillar makes it a regular coupe/sedan, no b-pillar makes it a hardtop coupe/sedan (I.e. last-gen Mercedes CLK, CL etc.).
I think size also tends to play a factor in whether it's a true coupe or a 2D sedan. smaller tends to go towards coupe, larger tends to still be considered sedan to some extent, though I don't think I'd ever call a 6er a sedan. Ja, she's big and heavy, but I still think that'd qualify as a coupe.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down