Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice

+7
dunnas
Talon
thewalrus
Turbojett
VS
Dodge
Swerve
11 posters

Go down

Self Explanatory

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_lcap42%Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 5 ]
Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_lcap8%Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_lcap17%Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]
Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_lcap0%Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_lcap17%Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 12

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Empty Japanese 90s Coupe Choice

Post by Swerve Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:28 am

I think I got all the ones people would conceivably want...don't ask me why no Sera or something stupid like that.

PS. the S2000 is a decade newer than these and more of a 2000s child.
PPS. I threw in the MX5 just because...
PPPS. and then the 968, because the MX5 seemed to bugger up the consistency anyway...

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice Empty Re: Japanese 90s Coupe Choice

Post by Swerve Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 am

Damn, Celica GT4 :classicsad:

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:51 am

Not exactly a fair fight but meh i'll pick my good ol' 240 anyway
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am

NSX
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 am

btw is the FTO the jdm sibling of an eclipse?
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:32 am

It's just a Lancer in drag. They gave it a V6, but forgot about the EVO running gear. Despite putting that drivetrain in a minivan.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:52 am

You can edit the poll, Swerve. But the thought of an AWD FTO GP ver.R is sick. i wonder if somebody out there did a retro fit.

And I had to go for the Skylines, R33 specifically for me. Although the Supra and especially the RX7 were miiiighty tempting.
So maybe like this
Skyline
RX7
Supra
Z32
NSX
3000GT(O)
the rest are just fodder.
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

I'd rather a Miata.

It was close between that and the NSX, but I felt I had to be true to myself in my vote.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 pm

I agree not a fair fight, but of the choices put me down for the NSX because it would be the best track car out of the box of the choices, IMO.

But, I'll take a mint 93 TSi AWD or 99 GSX plz. -_-
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 pm

What the fuck. When I first saw that list I did'nt think there would be any votes beyond (and including) the FTO.

I don't know if swerve had started drinking early to comfort his loss (that will be coming shortly) but the NSX in that list is just stupid. The R33-34 and calling them coupes because they have 2 doors is also just nuts.

As for the Fto, the Mivec version with the 150kw is sup0osed to be a decent car. Did you guys get the FTO's at all?
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I think the RX7 is every bit as good a track car as the NSX. Good luck with maintenance though, or fitting if you're over 6ft. I also suspect that if the NSX was common and the Supra rare, I'd prefer the Supra.
The Supra is an underrated track car. It's smaller than its styling suggests, but the swoops do ruin outward visibility in all directions. And when every second Supra on the road has an over the top bodykit and a 20 year old behind the wheel, it loses some appeal.

I think about buying some of these all the time (obviously apart from another MR2). Apart from the NSX, they're all in a roughly similar price range. My ranking is typically:

1. Supra
2. Silvia
3. MX5

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:40 pm

3rd gen RX-7, quite simply the best sports coupe out of Made in Japan Inc. in the 90's

The coolest engine ever made in the rotary, twin turbo, fit like a glove interior, BIG ASS TACH in center of instruments. Light weight design, the most true to form sports coupe from Japan in the 90's.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:46 pm

supra. always liked the way they look and fast and moddable.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:05 am

Swerve wrote:I think the RX7 is every bit as good a track car as the NSX. Good luck with maintenance though, or fitting if you're over 6ft. I also suspect that if the NSX was common and the Supra rare, I'd prefer the Supra.
The Supra is an underrated track car. It's smaller than its styling suggests, but the swoops do ruin outward visibility in all directions. And when every second Supra on the road has an over the top bodykit and a 20 year old behind the wheel, it loses some appeal.

I think about buying some of these all the time (obviously apart from another MR2). Apart from the NSX, they're all in a roughly similar price range. My ranking is typically:

1. Supra
2. Silvia
3. MX5
The jap spec 200sx apparently came out In 1999 in that changes anything for you.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:52 pm

I only like the S15 anyway.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:14 pm

dunnas wrote:What the fuck. When I first saw that list I did'nt think there would be any votes beyond (and including) the FTO.

I don't know if swerve had started drinking early to comfort his loss (that will be coming shortly) but the NSX in that list is just stupid. The R33-34 and calling them coupes because they have 2 doors is also just nuts.

As for the Fto, the Mivec version with the 150kw is sup0osed to be a decent car. Did you guys get the FTO's at all?
nope. they'd (probably) have stepped on the Eclipse's toes in this market, so they never imported them.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:23 am

My order is:

Rx-7 - You didn't even have to ask. My favorite car, over and over again. It's one car model I will never stop liking.

R33 - Most beautiful Skyline of recent years IMO. I like it in every form, 2-door and 4-door. I have lusted after this car since the first Gran Turismo.

300zx - Ever since I rode in my friends parent's '90 NA 3Z, I got hooked on them. What a great looking car.

FTO - Thanks to Gran Turismo once again, another car never sold here in the states (and too bad it wasn't), this car was a looker. It looked fast just sitting still.

Supra - Ok, who doesn't love a Mark IV Supra? In stock form, those cars were pure sex. If you owned one in the 90's, you better be getting laid just by owning that car.

Silvia - For my idiot friends who played Gran Turismo for the first time and said "Who would name a car a girls name?" Well is it that girly when it has a 200+ hp Turbo 4 dropping power out of the back wheels? Probably not.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:44 am

Better than Fairlady.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 pm

SBF wrote:Silvia - For my idiot friends who played Gran Turismo for the first time and said "Who would name a car a girls name?" Well is it that girly when it has a 200+ hp Turbo 4 dropping power out of the back wheels? Probably not.
My name is Sue, how do you do!
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 pm

I'd like to one day find the discretionary money and then time to get a 3rd gen. RX-7. One in good condition but then take it up a notch by restoring anything that may need to be done to make it fresh, maybe modding it enough without getting it to a ricer state and then putting on an award winning paint job.

The 3rd gen. RX-7 is to me and always will be a sports coupe I will love and appreciate, maybe one day as I said even owning one.

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice 95807051990520-480
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:56 pm

speaking of 90s sports coupes i used to like the subrau SVX too, although it couldnt really compete performance wise with any of the above cars. plus im pretty sure it was only available in automatic.

the mid to late 90s preludes looked pretty good too. not the early 90s ones, they looked girly.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:I'd like to one day find the discretionary money and then time to get a 3rd gen. RX-7. One in good condition but then take it up a notch by restoring anything that may need to be done to make it fresh, maybe modding it enough without getting it to a ricer state and then putting on an award winning paint job.

The 3rd gen. RX-7 is to me and always will be a sports coupe I will love and appreciate, maybe one day as I said even owning one.

Japanese 90s Coupe Choice 95807051990520-480
I love FD's. If I ever got one though, I might retrofit a 98+ series III bumper/spoiler/wheels. Though I may just want two, just to keep it like that one. :lol:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 am

Tough. Back then, I would have instantly said RX-7. Now, knowing about the issues the FD3S has, I probably would go for something that was a bit less of a headache. The R32 would be really cool, but being rhd in an lhd world would be a pain.

I would probably be happy with an S13 Silvia in pretty stock trim, or one of the limited edition Miata coupes that Mazda's M2 group turned out shortly before going tits up. An NSX would be pretty cool as well, but probably quite hard to find in a virgin state.
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy
And so the woe continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:34 am

spaced cowboy wrote:Tough. Back then, I would have instantly said RX-7. Now, knowing about the issues the FD3S has, I probably would go for something that was a bit less of a headache. The R32 would be really cool, but being rhd in an lhd world would be a pain.

I would probably be happy with an S13 Silvia in pretty stock trim, or one of the limited edition Miata coupes that Mazda's M2 group turned out shortly before going tits up. An NSX would be pretty cool as well, but probably quite hard to find in a virgin state.

well even though MotoRex isn't around anymore, there are still places that will do LHD conversions. The problem there is cost though.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Turbojett wrote:
spaced cowboy wrote:Tough. Back then, I would have instantly said RX-7. Now, knowing about the issues the FD3S has, I probably would go for something that was a bit less of a headache. The R32 would be really cool, but being rhd in an lhd world would be a pain.

well even though MotoRex isn't around anymore, there are still places that will do LHD conversions. The problem there is cost though.
I wouldn't trust anyone to do an LHD conversion under any circumstances. The RB26 was rather particularly designed for RHD (the engine is actually tilted to the left, making it rather a challenge to properly route a steering column for LHD, hence the reason Nissan never considered doing LHD themselves).

But yeah, an R32 would be cool. The R33 and R34 for some reason never really grabbed me as being quite as cool. They just seemed a bit too bloated by comparison.
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down