Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about trading in the Civic

+9
ryguy79
Turbojett
1300ZUK
Honor
Tailhappy
Swerve
ascona
Talon
thewalrus
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thinking about trading in the Civic Empty Thinking about trading in the Civic

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Have a couple months of payments left on the Civic, kind of feeling like I need a change after 3 1/2 years with it.

No idea which way to go. Thinking about everything from Jeep Wranglers to BMW 328i X-Drives to Subaru Foresters / Imprezas... and in my more fevered moments, Mustangs, Miatas and preowned Boxsters / Z4s.

Obviously the Subarus are the best bet. But, the new Imprezas are kind of odd looking - and the 2012s are even worse, from the pictures I've seen. I like the Forester, but I wish they offered the Turbo F4 with the stick. If I'm going to buy one I better hurry, though, I have a feeling that whoever's churning out the recent horrible designs at Subaru is going to get their grubby little hands on that model sooner rather than later.

The Jeeps look awesome, but they're SO fucking common around here it isn't funny. Plus practically speaking, probably not the best bet. Great in the winter. Not as much fun to drive in the summer, I'd bet, though.

Like the 328 X-drive. Took one for a test drive a few weeks ago. But I'm not sure I want to spend BMW money. Besides better driving dynamics and less practicality what am I getting for my extra $15 000 over the Forester? Plus the Forester's high quality cloth seats beat the shit out of Leatherette / Leather - especially if I'm going to be getting into the car wet / dirty. Still the I6 / 6 speed manual / 40-60 AWD rock. Compared it to the Audi A4, probably rather get the BMW for the same price.

Any other ideas / thoughts. Has to come with a manual transmission. Ideally it'd be AWD and practical and fun to drive. Won't object to pre-owned either.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Thinking about trading in the Civic Empty Re: Thinking about trading in the Civic

Post by Talon Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I might get flamed for this but I think that Nissan Juke is pretty cool looking. Plus you can get the turbo AWD version, which is nice. However, I don’t believe this version is available with three pedals. WTF? Deal breaker for me…
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Thinking about trading in the Civic Empty Re: Thinking about trading in the Civic

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Talon wrote:I might get flamed for this but I think that Nissan Juke is pretty cool looking. Plus you can get the turbo AWD version, which is nice. However, I don’t believe this version is available with three pedals. WTF? Deal breaker for me…

Yeah, all the companies seem to do that. Great engine, plus great AWD system = some perverse need to throw some bullshit CVT transmission on to it. Oh, but it has a sport mode. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by thewalrus on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm

But yeah, I like the Juke too - nice looking car, seems like it'd be fun to drive.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:43 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Talon wrote:I might get flamed for this but I think that Nissan Juke is pretty cool looking. Plus you can get the turbo AWD version, which is nice. However, I don*t believe this version is available with three pedals. WTF? Deal breaker for me*

Yeah, all the companies seem to do that. Great engine, plus great AWD system = some perverse need to throw some bullshit CVT transmission on to it. Oh, but it has a sport mode. Rolling Eyes

0-60 in 8 seconds and a top of 215 is actually quite a let down for a 190hp car....

then again, i didn't know there were non-diesel versions of that car until you just told me..
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Thinking Mini Cooper S Countryman right now. Looks pretty cool.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I would have though leather would be the better choice for a dirty person, since cloth doesn't just wipe down.
Not sure about the price but I'd take the S5 over an AWD BMW. Such a good looking car. Plus the new 3 Series is about to be released.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Swerve wrote:I would have though leather would be the better choice for a dirty person, since cloth doesn't just wipe down.
Not sure about the price but I'd take the S5 over an AWD BMW. Such a good looking car. Plus the new 3 Series is about to be released.

So would I, but the S5 is way more expensive. So is the S4. Basically you're looking at an A4 with some options for about the same price as a 3 series that's fairly basic.

Not really a huge fan of the new 3 series look, but it'd probably be wise to wait to see it in person.

thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 pm

I'd wait till next spring and the Mazda CX-5, especially over the Juke. SHOULD come with a AWD/MT option (maybe even a DIESEL)..... just don't quote me on that, NA market vehicle specifics have yet to be announced.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:45 am

10 bucks says frugal wally wins out and keeps his civic for 5 more years.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 am

Call me crazy again, but I am becoming impressed with the new Kia Optima. Turbo, 274hp from a 2.0, 34mpg highway. Nice looking car, too. Probably too big for what you're looking for though.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeah the optima is pretty cool.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:31 pm

optima lolz

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:55 pm

ffuck took a Mini Clubman S for a test drive. That is a fantastic vehicle. I'm thinking that or the AWD Mini Countryman right now.

Countryman would be quite a bit more practical, but the Clubman is so cool, and I'm guessing it handles WAY better.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 pm

but lame fwd versus lame awd!
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:08 pm

ascona wrote:but lame fwd versus lame awd!

What do you drive again?
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I saw one of those fiat 500s the other day. :Swerve:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm

thewalrus wrote:

What do you drive again?

cadillac CTS and a mazda 2

also, my mate had the cooper s, and he said it wasn't all it's cracked up to be, and he sold it after almost 2 months of ownership lol.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 pm

clockbreaker wrote:I saw one of those fiat 500s the other day. :Swerve:

and those are really awful. no feeling in the steering, feels like an overweight pig (especially for what it is) and has no driving dynamics whatsoever.

and they're claustrophobic inside (and i've owned a twingo, which is same size)

they look nice, though.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I think they look pretty gay actually. Almost as gay as a smart car.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:28 pm

i drove them when they just came out (seriously, pre-opening weekend. by accident Razz )

and i could have had sex with every chick i encountered.

and a mate told me the abarth version is actually quite sprity to drive.. but i don't know to what extent he likes cars... he drives a 118d
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

ascona wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

What do you drive again?

also, my mate had the cooper s, and he said it wasn't all it's cracked up to be, and he sold it after almost 2 months of ownership lol.

Your mate sounds like a fucking idiot.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:48 pm

clockbreaker wrote:I think they look pretty gay actually. Almost as gay as a smart car.

Well, as long as I'm getting good, well thought out opinions. Fuck. Asking for an actual informed, intelligent, perspective on this forum is like looking for a virgin in a whore house. Or a sexually active man with an AFORAW account.

Who's user name isn't "TheWalrus".
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:00 pm

thewalrus wrote:
ascona wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

What do you drive again?

he just goes through cars at a ridiculous pace. he bought an alfa romeo in june, and he sold it by the end of august lol

but he liked the previous gen focus a lot more than the cooper s

that cooper had brake overheating issues like a motherfucker, and it hurt his back like crazy. and it would spin out at this one freeway offramp at 140kmh, whereas the focus with some eibach springs was still quite comfortable at 160kmh
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:09 pm

ascona wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
ascona wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

What do you drive again?

he just goes through cars at a ridiculous pace. he bought an alfa romeo in june, and he sold it by the end of august lol

but he liked the previous gen focus a lot more than the cooper s

that cooper had brake overheating issues like a motherfucker, and it hurt his back like crazy. and it would spin out at this one freeway offramp at 140kmh, whereas the focus with some eibach springs was still quite comfortable at 160kmh

So he also drives like an asshole. Fair enough.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:13 pm

he doesn't really.

hell, my little mazda does 140kmh at that offramp no issues.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 pm

ascona wrote:he doesn't really.

Maybe not compared to you. But from the stories you've posted on here, you're worse than reckless.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

thewalrus wrote:
ascona wrote:he doesn't really.

Maybe not compared to you. But from the stories you've posted on here, you're worse than reckless.

well, at least i didn't spin out, in my stock standard mazda 2 with factory tyres.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:29 pm

How about a Kia Sorento?

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:49 pm

how about something used or something that's been certified preowned? you still have some vestige (pretense?) of a warranty, and it's probably going to be a little better on insurance than a new car. you know the dealer would stipulate that you get full coverage until the car is paid off, so as long as you're going to have to do that, why not get something that'll be cheap both to buy and insure?

and quit getting all whiny assed. you know exactly how we all are about anything serious. :jay:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 am

thewalrus wrote:
clockbreaker wrote:I think they look pretty gay actually. Almost as gay as a smart car.

Well, as long as I'm getting good, well thought out opinions. Fuck. Asking for an actual informed, intelligent, perspective on this forum is like looking for a virgin in a whore house. Or a sexually active man with an AFORAW account.

Who's user name isn't "TheWalrus".

I was talking about a Fiat 500, not the Mini.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Seriously Wally? Chill.

The new Imprezas are supposed to be pretty good. They have a newly designed 2.0 (rather than 2.5) that puts out less peak horsepower and torque, but accelerates faster. I read an article about it but it's been months. They did something to greatly increase the area under the curve.

Peak numbers are cool for internet bs, but it's the area under the curve that matters.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 pm

It is, however, quite ugly.

Thinking about trading in the Civic 2012impreza3
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Do not want :wtfsoliz?:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I really hope the STi doesn't look like shit.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:15 pm

thewalrus wrote:I like the Forester, but I wish they offered the Turbo F4 with the stick.

They don't anymore? That sucks.
ryguy79
ryguy79
I'm so weary and tired of the world's weariness and tiredness.

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Also I test drove the big Legacy Outback wagon and even though its not fast, i loved it. For my lifestyle, I want one. Way more room than my Forester. The 6speed was nice. Could probably fit kayaks in the car.
ryguy79
ryguy79
I'm so weary and tired of the world's weariness and tiredness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 am

Tercel.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

ryguy79 wrote:
thewalrus wrote:I like the Forester, but I wish they offered the Turbo F4 with the stick.

They don't anymore? That sucks.

No and that's the problem I'm finding with Subaru. They no longer want to be different because it's not selling enough cars. They want to be big like Toyota and Honda, so they want to make their cars boring both in style and performance. The WRX/STi is the only thing they have going for them. I do not like much in their current lineup.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

Talon wrote:Seriously Wally? Chill.

The new Imprezas are supposed to be pretty good. They have a newly designed 2.0 (rather than 2.5) that puts out less peak horsepower and torque, but accelerates faster. I read an article about it but it's been months. They did something to greatly increase the area under the curve.

Peak numbers are cool for internet bs, but it's the area under the curve that matters.

I have no interest in the new Imprezas. I don't know what their designers did, or what they did it on, but they've been progressively fucking up that design over the last two generations.

And no, I won't "chill". Fuck off for even suggesting that.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next