Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

china is ass-out

5 posters

Go down

china is ass-out Empty china is ass-out

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:59 am

this is mainly for spaced, pennz, and wally, but LOLOLOLOLOL

fuck them.

China’s Exports Decline by Most in Decade on Global Recession
Email | Print | A A A

By Li Yanping and Nipa Piboontanasawat

Jan. 13 (Bloomberg) -- China’s exports fell the most in almost a decade in December as the deepening global recession cut demand for the nation’s toys, clothes and electronics.

Shipments dropped 2.8 percent, the customs bureau said on its Web site today. That compares with a 21.7 percent gain a year earlier. Exports grew 17.2 percent for all of 2008, down from 25.7 percent in 2007.

Waning export demand has led to protests by fired factory employees, an exodus of 600,000 migrant workers from the manufacturing hub of Guangdong, and an estimated urban unemployment rate of more than 9 percent. Premier Wen Jiabao pledged Jan. 11 to add to the nation’s 4 trillion yuan ($585 billion) stimulus package to create jobs and avoid social instability.

“There is little hope that exports will recover this year, as developed economies remain mired in recessions,” said Sun Mingchun, a Hong Kong-based economist at Nomura Holdings. “Textile, steel and electronic exports are the most badly hurt.”

The yuan fell to 6.8376 against the dollar from yesterday’s close of 6.8370, as of 3:38 p.m. in Shanghai. The CSI 300 Index of stocks declined 2.3 percent.

Exports to the European Union, China’s biggest export market, fell 3.5 percent in December from a year earlier. Shipments to the U.S. slipped 4.1 percent.

Tumbling Profits

Profits have tumbled for manufacturers with operations in China, such as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the world’s biggest contract maker of electronics. Hisense Group, a state- owned air conditioner and refrigerator maker, has reported plunging orders.

The export decline was less than the 5.3 percent median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey of 16 economists.

Imports plunged 21.3 percent, the biggest decline since Bloomberg data began in 1995, on waning demand for raw materials for manufacturing, leaving a trade surplus of $39 billion, the second-largest on record.

The surplus for all of 2008 climbed 13 percent to $295.46 billion, also a record.

Achieving the government’s 8 percent economic growth target for creating jobs and preventing social unrest will be “exceptionally arduous,” Liu Mingkang, the chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, said in Beijing yesterday. Speaking in Switzerland, central bank Governor Zhou Xiaochuan said he too saw a risk of missing the goal.

Tiananmen Square Crackdown

Growth may slow to 5 percent this year, less than half of the 11.9 percent expansion in 2007, according to Royal Bank of Scotland Plc. That would be the weakest pace since 1990 and the aftermath of the Tiananmen Square crackdown. Growth was 9 percent in the third quarter of last year.

The central bank has cut interest rates five times from September, reducing the key one-year lending rate to 5.31 percent, and allowed lenders to set aside smaller reserves.

China is also aiding exporters by curbing currency gains that would make their products more expensive in overseas markets, restricting the yuan to a 0.5 percent advance against the dollar in the second half of last year after a 6.6 percent increase in the first.

The nation’s currency policy and trade surplus may exacerbate tensions with the U.S., which last month complained to the World Trade Organization that China was using prohibited subsidies to boost exports from apparel to high-tech electronics.

President-elect Barack Obama should press China to allow the yuan to appreciate because weakness in the currency is hurting U.S. jobs and manufacturing, according to Professor Peter Morici, from the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business.

Rising Unemployment

Shipments may fall 10 percent in 2009, Nomura’s Sun estimated, dragging down economic growth by 2.5 percentage points.

The state-backed Chinese Academy of Social Sciences forecast 9.4 percent urban unemployment by the end of 2008, to rise in 2009 as exports and production cool.

The central bank will keep the yuan trading within a narrow range against the dollar in 2009 to help exporters, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. said in a report yesterday.

“This is viewed as a critical issue for trade development in the face of unprecedented uncertainties in the global economy,” wrote Helen Qiao and Song Yu, Hong Kong-based economists.

The decline in exports was the biggest since April 1999.

To contact the reporters on this story: Li Yanping in Beijing at yli16@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: January 13, 2009 02:44 EST
Aristotle
Aristotle
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

china is ass-out Empty Re: china is ass-out

Post by JaysonAych Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:11 am

Achieving the government’s 8 percent economic growth target for creating jobs and preventing social unrest will be “exceptionally arduous,” Liu Mingkang, the chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, said in Beijing yesterday.

On the plus side, when the current five year plan is up, futures in execution equipment is going to fucking skyrocket.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 am

"Growth may slow to 5%"

"Shipments dropped 2.8 percent, the customs bureau said on its Web site today. That compares with a 21.7 percent gain a year earlier. Exports grew 17.2 percent for all of 2008, down from 25.7 percent in 2007."

Oh no! Growth in exports of 17% and a stabilising of record shipments volumes.

It's obviously not great news, but the rest of the world would kill for those figures.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 am

I want to see what happens when the whole damn system just grinds to a halt.

A brief moment of surprise. People standing around, bewildered. Blinking a few times.

Than complete, state-of-nature / Thunderdome / Waterworld choas errupts.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

I would almost certainly be one of the first to die. I'd last maybe a day or two. Before someone killed me for my shoes or something.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 pm

i want a road-warrior thing to happen. :talon2:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Swerve wrote:"Growth may slow to 5%"

"Shipments dropped 2.8 percent, the customs bureau said on its Web site today. That compares with a 21.7 percent gain a year earlier. Exports grew 17.2 percent for all of 2008, down from 25.7 percent in 2007."

Oh no! Growth in exports of 17% and a stabilising of record shipments volumes.

It's obviously not great news, but the rest of the world would kill for those figures.

you have to remember that most of their 'figures' are bogus. china has been an artificial scam for the last decade, starting with their artificially devalued currency.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:09 pm

nevertheless, i took a long position in an energy ETF this morning, since energy names have been down for the past 5 or 6 sessions.

lol gamblers fallacy ftw!

maybe :unsure:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Aristotle wrote:i want a road-warrior thing to happen. :talon2:

I don't. I'd be utterly helpless.

One of the guys, early on in the movie, to suffer either (a) a comedic death, or (b) a tragic death which highlights the cruelty of this brave new world. I definitely wouldn't be the hero who survives through ingenuity and strong willed determination.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm

hahaha

i think it would be (b) most definitely. you'd find yourself in a situation trying to help someone, only to be flattened by the highly modified semi driven by a coked-out dunnas.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Aristotle wrote:hahaha

i think it would be (b) most definitely. you'd find yourself in a situation trying to help someone, only to be flattened by the highly modified semi driven by a coked-out dunnas.

hahahahha exactly like that.

:undies:
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 pm

hooray my trade is down $40.

i put a trade on that was up $200 this am when i checked pre-market action. i then left it alone and went back to bed, since it was 5am here.

when i woke up the second time, it was down $100. rallied back to even and i got out, but that means i lost $20, because of the trade fees.

fucking stupid market is fuckign fucked.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 pm

fffffuck this market. i need to take a shower and do some reading for class, but i'm fucking around with these shitty trades.

where's the semi to flatten me, wally?

WHERE IS IT?!?!!?!!!!

:smelly:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Aristotle wrote:fffffuck this market. i need to take a shower and do some reading for class, but i'm fucking around with these shitty trades.

where's the semi to flatten me, wally?

WHERE IS IT?!?!!?!!!!

:smelly:

nah dude. You won't die in this hypothetical thunderdome. You'll end up as the grizzled, blind old transient begging for money at the side of the road. The antagonists will mock you to highlight just how evil they truely are. They won't, however, kill you.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:34 pm

i really believe i'm dead, and this world is to be my permanent punishment for some heinous transgression in a previous life.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:37 pm

sweet, my trade is now up by $4.76.

awesome. :aris:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 pm

well that didn't last long

down $8
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 pm

i'm going to take a shower. i have to get ready for class. :smelly:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Aristotle wrote:i'm going to take a shower. i have to get ready for class. :smelly:

haha yeah. me too. Got to get down to Oceanography by 11. It fucking snowed a metric-fuckton last night. Snow everywhere. They had the graders out this morning. One of them almost ran over me.

thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Aristotle wrote:i want a road-warrior thing to happen. :talon2:

I pray for that. I will be first in line raiding a poorly guarded national guard armory for a gatling gun to bolt to the hood of my Stratus, which will be adorned with makeshift plates of scrap armor and spikes.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Aristotle wrote:i really believe i'm dead, and this world is to be my permanent punishment for some heinous transgression in a previous life.

I wondered about the few close brushes with death I've had in my life, and wonder if I actually did die from those things, but that death happened to a Jason in another dimension, and in this dimension the circumstances shifted just enough to allow me to live. I'm the alpha that determines the outcome of all manners of Jasons in parallel universes. They get to know the sweet release while I keep having to plug away.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by millertime Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:32 am

hey aris. Did you start class in January? What are you taking?
millertime
millertime
Those who do not stand in awe of my woe and rue will suffer greatly at my hands

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 am

yeah, i started last week.

taking a philosophy of science class.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 am

thewalrus wrote:
Aristotle wrote:i'm going to take a shower. i have to get ready for class. :smelly:

haha yeah. me too. Got to get down to Oceanography by 11. It fucking snowed a metric-fuckton last night. Snow everywhere. They had the graders out this morning. One of them almost ran over me.

at least you have that option, man.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by millertime Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 am

Aristotle wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

at least you have that option, man.

what exactly is a "metric fuckton" of snow in Edmonton. So far in the 5 winters I have been here I still have yet to see a single 24 hour snow fall that can even rival a good vancouver snowfall. Aside from being used to -40 I think you are all a bunch of fucking pussys.
millertime
millertime

Back to top Go down

Post by millertime Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 am

i really should have quoted wally and not aris on that one. but whatever.
millertime
millertime

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:49 am

i do miss snowstorms. Woe
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down