Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TurboJett - Route 66 thread.

3 posters

Go down

TurboJett - Route 66 thread. Empty TurboJett - Route 66 thread.

Post by SBF Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:14 am

I very rarely find a person who is interested in Rt. 66.

I saw you say something about trying to map out the Old Road through the cities. Well I have done a little of that research myself. Not all th major cities, but a couple.

I'll start from Chicago since that is where I'm from.

Rt. 66 starts on the intersection of Adams St. and Michigan Ave. in Chicago. You follow Adams St. west to Ogden Ave. You take Ogden Ave South (west) to Harlem Ave South. You take Harlem for a very short time to Joliet Rd (southwest). Joliet Rd merges with I-55 for a short period of time and then breaks away again to connect up to SR 53 and once you hit that, you're golden.

Most of Illinois is straight through. You go through a lot of small towns, but when you get to the larger ones
you just follow "Business Route 55" which is pretty much old Rt. 66.

St. Louis is a crap-shoot. I know Chippewa St. -> Watson St.-> I-44 is the original route, but to follow the Old Road to Chippewa I have no clue.

Kansas and Oklahoma are easy. Any State Road that used to be Rt 66 is designated with a "66" in it or the first number is a "6" and pretty much runs along I-44.

That's all I have routed out. I am such a fucking nerd.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

TurboJett - Route 66 thread. Empty Re: TurboJett - Route 66 thread.

Post by JaysonAych Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:06 pm

JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 pm

That's a good site, yet a little confusing in some areas. I have spent a lot of time researching a Route 66 trip and had never come across that.

I have spent a lot of time with literature from the library and stuff I had purchased myself. I actually have not been that tempted to research online.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:49 pm

actually I had previously lost it in oklahoma city. Tulsa was relatively easy to follow, earlier routes snake around the city, but the latter, simpler route just takes southwest blvd out of town until it dumps into OK 66 in Sapulpa and follows that straight into Oklahoma City; it more or less runs along 44. but I lost it going into the northern parts of the city, once OK-66 peters out.
Google maps has helped me a lot trying to map it out though so more recently, it has started to look pretty simple. I think you just basically have to follow the 235 to 44. I think I had found it again coming out of Reno and Yukon, but 44 doesn't go through there so i didn't know if the 235 to 44 is accurate. Google maps pretty much just says to go that way, and 44 sort of doglegs and the E-W route continues on while the interstate itself turns south, so it looks like you're supposed to get off there, wich is something my previous maps never showed me. but then it dumps into 40 out in the west section of the state, about a quarter of the way out of OK City to the Texas line. Google maps doesn;t says so, and neither did any of the maps I had been using, but it seems that 40 has a lot of tangent routes going into the major towns out in west Oklahoma, so i think those might be Route 66 as well. I think Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas preserved it pretty well. Missouri, NM and California, not so much.
but CA was probably the first state I routed, and there's two seperate endings to the route, they both end in Santa Barbara, but the earlier route--20's-30's era I suppose--diverts from Sunset Blvd and just ends up petering out in the middle of the city, where the latter route follows Sunset straight to Pacific Coast Hwy. I had heard of it previously finishing well north of that, but I never investigated that (this way seems so much simpler).

yz, I'm a total nerd, too.
it's probably just because we're both on either end of the Mother Road, so we can trek the whole thing much easier. :cheers:

Last edited by Turbojett on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Now I can't say i have done Route 66 through Tucumcari, so this is a little off-topic, but evertime I pass through there, I always stop at the same McDonalds, and it always just works out to be for breakfast. :lol:

Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down