Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war?

+12
Turbojett
milleniahead
Honor
TheWoerus
TheLightedPath
ascona
Aristotle
JaysonAych
Omni
The_Edge
Les_Vipers_rule
16 posters

Go down

Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war? Empty Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war?

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Just food for thought and to talk about. The divide in the USA has never been so caustic in the recent years. It began to grow notably from Reagan onwards but especially took hold from 1994 on when the Republicans took control of Congress and put their far right agenda in play. President Clinton was able to for the most part bridge the divide well enough at the time. But with the Florida theft in 2000 the war in Iraq, two recessions in one Presidents terms in office the second one maybe a historic one as time passes, add the debacle of 04 elections especially in Ohio are we seeing the inevitable lines drawn for what will possibly be another bloody civil war in the USA? Or is the next generation of voters typically under 40 going to be able to reshape and close the divide, in time reshape what and how Americans see the nation, themselves and their future in the greater context of first the nation itself and then more so the world?
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war? Empty Re: Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war?

Post by The_Edge Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:Just food for thought and to talk about. The divide in the USA has never been so caustic in the recent years. It began to grow notably from Reagan onwards but especially took hold from 1994 on when the Republicans took control of Congress and put their far right agenda in play. President Clinton was able to for the most part bridge the divide well enough at the time. But with the Florida theft in 2000 the war in Iraq, two recessions in one Presidents terms in office the second one maybe a historic one as time passes, add the debacle of 04 elections especially in Ohio are we seeing the inevitable lines drawn for what will possibly be another bloody civil war in the USA? Or is the next generation of voters typically under 40 going to be able to reshape and close the divide, in time reshape what and how Americans see the nation, themselves and their future in the greater context of first the nation itself and then more so the world?

What divide?
The_Edge
The_Edge
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war? Empty Re: Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war?

Post by Omni Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:32 pm

I seriously doubt it. I don't really see any trends at this time that are leading us to a divide so extreme that we'll be thrown into a civil war. The two parties aren't as different as they try to make it seem anyway.
Omni
Omni
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I think Americans are too fat and happy to really fight about anything anymore. Everyone's comfortable...politicians are comfortable with their power and their money, and they're not going to rock the boat, and citizens are comfortable with their iPhones, spray-can cheese, and their weekly doses of "American Idol" and "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and they're not going to rock the boat either. People would much rather just go to some political forum on the Internet because they can be an anonymous flaming dickhole all while never leaving their chair and their Doritos (pause for the irony of the moment to sink in).

With all the shit that has gone on so far, with our war-mongering dictatorial idiot president drilling holes in anything that isn't a fetus (thanks Doug Stanhope) and ushering in a police state that's eroded more liberties than I've personally seen in my life thus far, and considering how divided this country is right now....if there hasn't been any serious attempts at organizing to do something about it by now, there won't be. Something absolutely drastic would have to happen to really bring about a second Civil War, like the economy completely going into the shitter and unemployment skyrocketing past record levels, and domestic terrorism becoming widespread....to the point where some state politicians actually start feeling the hurt. I think a crippling economic crisis like that combined with the divisive feelings could start something if state governments decided they had enough. But as long as the politicians aren't threatened financially and people have their bread and circuses, I think it could go as far as seeing Bush cite executive privilege to halt the election and maintain office indefinitely for "national security reasons" and no one would really do anything. They'd be really pissed off, but they wouldn't do anything.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Omni wrote:I seriously doubt it. I don't really see any trends at this time that are leading us to a divide so extreme that we'll be thrown into a civil war. The two parties aren't as different as they try to make it seem anyway.

The parties aren't that different, but they have done a masterful job at creating the illusion that they are, and pitting their followers against each other.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 pm

That's a retarded question les.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Edge Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:30 pm

I repeat, what divide?

I really hope you don't mean between dems and reps hahaa
The_Edge
The_Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm

i'm up for a civil war. let's party.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 pm

i could go for a boston tea party
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:25 pm

911 wrote:That's a retarded question les.

Why?

Trends over the last 10-15 years have drawn quite strong lines of divisions between conservatives especially social/religious ones aka regressives and liberals, democrats and progressives. All manifested by certain people in political parties. There is less socalled kumbayah today than say 25-30 years ago.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLightedPath Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I think you fundamentally don't understand the general populations not give a shit.
TheLightedPath
TheLightedPath
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWoerus Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Aristotle wrote:i'm up for a civil war. let's party.

:roflmao: :roflmao: Awesome. Honestly though. No, not a violent civil war. Increasing 'Blue State / Red State' animosity - of course. But yeah, like everyone else here said, we're all too fat and complacent to let that happen.

There's no way that would disolve to a violent civil war. People will vote, and write angry, self-righteous letters and commentaries. But taking up a gun and revolting means I might miss the season finale of "So You Think You Can Dance".

I heard Aris was going to be on.
TheWoerus
TheWoerus

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:45 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

Why?

Trends over the last 10-15 years have drawn quite strong lines of divisions between conservatives especially social/religious ones aka regressives and liberals, democrats and progressives. All manifested by certain people in political parties. There is less socalled kumbayah today than say 25-30 years ago.

And there's still not near enough for any asshole to take up arms. You really think if people started fighting that the National Guard would pick a side? Don't be stupid.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 pm

911 wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

Why?

And there's still not near enough for any asshole to take up arms. You really think if people started fighting that the National Guard would pick a side? Don't be stupid.

One might be surprised at how events can change things. The divide in the USA is growing not shrinking. The economic situation is growing more grave every day, two wars that divide the nation, social, cultural, religious differences, immigration arguments, etc. etc. etc. One does not know.

In 1995 Quebec held its farce of a referendum on separation. The vote to stay was 1% different from beginning the leaving of the nation. Weeks and months leading up many Canadians said "Oh nothing bad could come even if Quebec were to separate." "We are too nice, too laid back." But let me tell you this in 1984 Sarajevo Yugoslavia held a winter Olympics in less than 7 years after it was in vile civil war. To think nations like the USA and even quiet little Canada could not go down such a path is fool hearty. I think the USA though not likely to happen say tomorrow but if the cards keep playing out as they have been since oh say the 80's is edging towards civil strife and maybe all out conflict. After all its bloodiest war was its own Civil War of 150 years ago. It is not unknown for Americans to kill and worse slaughter their own over many issues noted in my post here.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:31 pm

i need to get a gun.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Aristotle wrote:i need to get a gun.

several, actually. just get a few shotguns, rifles, and handguns and youre set for when the shit hits the fan. :talon2:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 pm

i think i'm just going to head over to sarge or cam's house and hide out there. they've got an arsenal. i think the only thing missing is a tank.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 am

sarge even has teefus for moat protection
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:00 pm

we may need it, just to wipe the slate clean, and start all over again, but is it really going to happen? no. the worst it's going to get is a bunch of picketing hippies, maybe a riot or two at UC Berkely.
All-out Revolution? Civil War? Fuck that, we're too lazy to do anything past piss and moan and complain.
Cause that gets us just as far as we're really willing to go.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by xtine Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:06 pm

I fucking hope not. All those rednecks toting the Rebel flag around will burn the streets, hollering, "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!" and finally be justified in believing in their "heritage not hate."
xtine
xtine

Back to top Go down

Post by zdc_LarryRX Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war? Th_60540_1804967659_893b2fd0db_123_164lo
Question to ponder, Do you think that America is inevitably going to lead itself to another civil war? Th_60557_2085412701_336f4059c8_123_1031lo
albino
zdc_LarryRX
zdc_LarryRX
My mind is littered with anguish, much like the board is littered with my posts.
My mind is littered with anguish, much like the board is littered with my posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:07 pm

Yes. Unequivocaly yes.

Probably tomorrow. Or possibly even yesterday.
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:16 am

xtine wrote:I fucking hope not. All those rednecks toting the Rebel flag around will burn the streets, hollering, "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!" and finally be justified in believing in their "heritage not hate."

Shit, in some places around here, that's just a street fire away.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWoerus Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 am

JaysonAych wrote:
xtine wrote:I fucking hope not. All those rednecks toting the Rebel flag around will burn the streets, hollering, "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!" and finally be justified in believing in their "heritage not hate."

man, in some ways the South leaving the union would probably be a substantial improvement. As long as you move up north Jay!! :jay:
TheWoerus
TheWoerus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:52 am

TheWoerus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

man, in some ways the South leaving the union would probably be a substantial improvement. As long as you move up north Jay!! :jay:

I'd move back up to Indiana, but the way the elections have been going lately, I'm not sure they wouldn't join the confederacy this time around.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 am

i'm a boat ride from canada.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 am

All systems have a rise and period of stability, then a fall.

are we at the fall?

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down