Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers.

+8
Omni
ryguy79
1300ZUK
Aristotle
Tailhappy
SBF
JaysonAych
Les_Vipers_rule
12 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers. Empty Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers.

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 am

2009 SRT

2009 RT

There is a SE for '09 too with a 3.5 L V-6 a capable secretaries car but not the same as the RT or SRT.

Thoughts on these cars?

Personally I love the lines and the overall concept esp. being able to get a manual gearbox for '09. They are a little on the fatty side but have enough HP to move em swiftly.

I kinda like the RT over the SRT though, but both would be nice in my drive way.

:talon2:
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers. Empty Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers.

Post by JaysonAych Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:46 am

Exterior styling = excellent. Even better than the concept, IMHO.

Interior styling = very bland, dreary, and plasticky...so very typical of Chrysler these days. The seating seems comfortable and I like the suede accenting, but it's still too cheap and parts-binny to be taken seriously.

Weight = too hefty and bloated

I'd give it a look-see if not for the Camaro coming out. I'd have loved to have seen Dodge try an Avenger-sized muscle/sports car instead, but a new RWD platform for that would have been pricey. But I'd still like to see them put out something less bloated and more nimble.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers. Empty Re: Thoughts on the 2009 Dodge Challengers.

Post by SBF Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:28 am

They could have done better than a 4-speed auto for the V6 SE. 250 hp with a 5 or 6 Speed would have opened up some more market.

Too heavy, the lightest one is still 300 lbs heavier than the heaviest Camaro.

And the interior sucks to me, just like what Jayson said. It looks too plasticky and looks kind of similar to the Charger interior.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:16 pm

i thought Chrysler was tarting up the interiors on the '09 products? I've seen some Jeeps that look BETTER, but most of it is in the materials.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Well you all must realize the car's pricing is quite competitive and even low for what a top of the line SRT will go for.

SE in USD $21,995.00 base
RT in USD $29,995.00 base
SRT in USD $41,695.00 base

I think the interiors look fine given each cars base point. Obviously the RT and SRT have better, upscale interiors over the SE. I do wish the SE came with a manual option because it has decent performance for what it gives. Yes I am surprised it's a bit of a fatty but being based on the Charger platform I guess the flab comes with it. It does have enough H.P. in RT and SRT form though to keep it moving fast. The RT and SRT have strong enough suspensions and brakes to more than adequately handle the flab.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:16 pm

i love the exterior, but the interior looks like it was pulled out of a pickup truck.

cool cars, though.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 am

Supposedly the build quality on Challenger is also retro, Poor paint, misaligned panels, etc.

I haven't looked at one close that wasn't a pre-production model, so i'm not sure. I think they are hideous cars

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:I think the interiors look fine given each cars base point. Obviously the RT and SRT have better, upscale interiors over the SE.

Have you actually looked at the interiors? The material on the dashboard looks like it belongs in a Heavy Duty work truck, basically the same material used in the Charger. The SE doesn't look any different than the SRT. The only real difference by what I've seen is leather seats.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

i'll give it a firm meh.
ryguy79
ryguy79
I'm so weary and tired of the world's weariness and tiredness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Based on the specs I've seen if I did a little work to my WRX I'd blow the doors off the RT. Those things are heavy as shit.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I have seen an SRT8 Challenger in person, and it is a HUGE car. You could land a fighter plane on the front hood. That said, I really liked it. The seats were nice, and the dash is parts bin Dodge, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This Challenger is pretty much going to be like the old one. You aren't paying for a luxo interior, you're paying for the drivetrain.

I am not sold on the Camaro, because frankly the interior was designed by Nintendo and it has the same weight problem as the Challenger does. The SS V8 'Maro will top out at 3,900 and change. My GTO is heavy as it is.

So for me, if I were to buy one of the two, I'd have to do it mainly on looks, and the Challenger just looks more purposeful. I am not sure of the Camaro will be able to pull of its lines in person since from certain angles it looks awkward, to me at least.
Storm
Storm
Drinking a refreshing glass of my tears

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:05 pm

I just got back from getting my brakes serviced and they had a Challenger in the showroom. It is really sharp in person. I'm just amazed that they couldn't have spent maybe another $500 per car on the dash to give it some more soft touch and make it less of a parts-bin dash. The one they had in the showroom was going for $50k. For that much, if I were buying one, I'd certainly spend that extra 500 bucks. Giving it a close look, that's really the only thing holding the interior back, and it is truly a stylistic boat anchor for the rest of the interior. If not for the dash, the whole package would be excellent.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:57 pm

JaysonAych wrote:I just got back from getting my brakes serviced and they had a Challenger in the showroom. It is really sharp in person. I'm just amazed that they couldn't have spent maybe another $500 per car on the dash to give it some more soft touch and make it less of a parts-bin dash. The one they had in the showroom was going for $50k. For that much, if I were buying one, I'd certainly spend that extra 500 bucks. Giving it a close look, that's really the only thing holding the interior back, and it is truly a stylistic boat anchor for the rest of the interior. If not for the dash, the whole package would be excellent.

I can understand that, but then, I am coming from the GTO where the interior is decent, but not luxurious itself. Personally, I'm still of the mind that as long as the car does what I want it too, as long as the basic amenities are there, then I'm happy. Frankly, all the money in the car is in the drivetrain and the suspension. However, it'll be better to wait a year so that the Chally actually has a rear diff and not the electronic pseudo-diff traction control/active handling noise it has now. And plus! A manual! Yes!!

I think the Challenger R/T is going to be a real performance bargain.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Storm wrote:I have seen an SRT8 Challenger in person, and it is a HUGE car. You could land a fighter plane on the front hood. That said, I really liked it. The seats were nice, and the dash is parts bin Dodge, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This Challenger is pretty much going to be like the old one. You aren't paying for a luxo interior, you're paying for the drivetrain.

I am not sold on the Camaro, because frankly the interior was designed by Nintendo and it has the same weight problem as the Challenger does. The SS V8 'Maro will top out at 3,900 and change. My GTO is heavy as it is.

So for me, if I were to buy one of the two, I'd have to do it mainly on looks, and the Challenger just looks more purposeful. I am not sure of the Camaro will be able to pull of its lines in person since from certain angles it looks awkward, to me at least.

I agree about the Camaro's interior, it's not as cool (kinda nerdy Nintendo-like as you said) to my eyes as the Challenger's even if the Challenger is a little bit low buck, Kmart. The Camaro's aggressive exterior is cool though, and the V-6 even has good get up and go to it. Obviously the car rags will in time do a three way shoot out between the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. The Challenger is big and fat but looks the coolest IMO and every colour it comes in is sweet to my eyes.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Storm wrote:I have seen an SRT8 Challenger in person, and it is a HUGE car. You could land a fighter plane on the front hood. That said, I really liked it. The seats were nice, and the dash is parts bin Dodge, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This Challenger is pretty much going to be like the old one. You aren't paying for a luxo interior, you're paying for the drivetrain.

I agree about the Camaro's interior, it's not as cool (kinda nerdy Nintendo-like as you said) to my eyes as the Challenger's even if the Challenger is a little bit low buck, Kmart. The Camaro's aggressive exterior is cool though, and the V-6 even has good get up and go to it. Obviously the car rags will in time do a three way shoot out between the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger. The Challenger is big and fat but looks the coolest IMO and every colour it comes in is sweet to my eyes.

I would daresay that they'll have to do a three-way shoot-out between the Challenger SRT8, the Camaro SS, and the Mustang GT500 if they want the Ford to be adequately represented. There's not really a decent comparison with the Mustang otherwise, as the Challenger RT will smoke the Stang GT, and of course, so will the Camaro SS. All the mags have claimed that the 2010 Mustang will have a 6.2 liter V8 with over 400hp, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Mustang GT is outgunned here in any comparison.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Yeah Mustang will need the most improving but the rags would do a shootout for nostalgia reasons. We will have to see what the auto manufacturers have up there sleeves. I think if Ford wants to keep Mustang selling it will have to see where Chevy and Dodge will go and how they will shake down. I think the Camaro will probably win most if not all major performance categories. I just wish Dodge was able to shave some pounds off the Challenger.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I seriously dislike the Challenger. A lot.

Huge, heavy, ugly. They're powerful, but the thing's a fucking barge. But I suppose that's what they're supposed to be.

Turbofrog
mis'-e-ry (n.) 1. wretchedness of condition or circumstances. 2. Me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 pm

I still don't understand why american companies seem totally uninterested in the turbo AWD market. I'm sure someone could come up with a domestic that could give companies like mitsu and scooby a run for their money.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Turbofrog wrote:I seriously dislike the Challenger. A lot.

Huge, heavy, ugly. They're powerful, but the thing's a fucking barge. But I suppose that's what they're supposed to be.

Well, yeah. Same with the Camaro. Both cars are heavier than my GTO, and I used to think SHE was a fat bitch!!

But man, there's just something about the Challenger in person.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 am

Storm wrote:
Turbofrog wrote:I seriously dislike the Challenger. A lot.

Well, yeah. Same with the Camaro. Both cars are heavier than my GTO, and I used to think SHE was a fat bitch!!

But man, there's just something about the Challenger in person.

It definitely has a very commanding presence in the flesh (or rather, the steel). Pictures don't convey that well at all.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm

It's hot in person. i love the things, everytime I see one standing still somewhere, there's a crowd around it. Though I haven't seen any regular R/T's or SE's. Are the '09 models out yet, or are we still stuck with the slushbox-equipped SRT8's?

Camaro SS will own it. From dead digs. Testicle.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by sargev55 Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:19 am

Turbojett wrote:It's hot in person. i love the things, everytime I see one standing still somewhere, there's a crowd around it. Though I haven't seen any regular R/T's or SE's. Are the '09 models out yet, or are we still stuck with the slushbox-equipped SRT8's?

Camaro SS will own it. From dead digs. Testicle.

lol,

love teh CAMAROSS, reference, all you need now is a head/cams reference.

eheheheh.

my opinion though, its too heavy, based on the same platform as the 300c/charger, too heavy at 4k lb, pretty certain that no manual trans = teh suck.

it looks totally badass, but its totally a looks car.

sargev55
Woeful noob
Woeful noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down