Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it just me, or are other persons starting to like that character of cars from yesteryear?

2 posters

Go down

Is it just me, or are other persons starting to like that character of cars from yesteryear? Empty Is it just me, or are other persons starting to like that character of cars from yesteryear?

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Let me explain, most car buffs can all get into the classics going back say all the way to the 1930's and the muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's. That is for most car fans all a given. But I'm talking more about cars in the 70's and 80's including  not so muscle car  types, even  many of the big boats and floaty rides, even the  fuel sipping misers.

Cars of today are chock a block full of  quality engineering, many  are  of capable to outstanding performance and even  get good fuel economy. Many are styled  superbly.  But I do find all to much of the "nanny" aids to be a  waste of money and need for me. These features kinda   turn me off  the simple pleasures of  being one with a car. I get the feeling that  all too many of these things keep the driver separated from the car and the feel of such. I don't want lane departure warning, I don't want  brake assist, I don't want  auto parallel parking. Hell, I  do not even want all that GPS    and CONNECT shit built in. Electric steering  is a   fuel saver but   I read all too many cars   have lost   road feel as a result. I can appreciate anti-lock brakes and even  some form  of traction control as long as  it can be adjusted or turned off. The other stuff said earlier even if one could  turn off are  things I would not want to PAY FOR as I'd never use them.

Also too many newer cars are starting to look too much the same. It can get hard  quickly telling a   Toyota  from  Honda  or even  a Hyundai or KIA. A Chevy   from a Ford or a Dodge etc.  BMW from  a Mercedes. Some styling as I already said is KICK BUTT but  too much is  much the same almost bland look between  cars and brands.

This gets me back to  a growing appreciation  for even cars of the lesser years from the 70's and 80s'. The imported sporty cars from Japan of this era 240-260-280-300zx,  Toyota Celica and Supra, Mazda RX-7 and Mitsubishi Starion. The classic US cars such as  Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am and Mustang (not really Mustang II though). Chevy Corvette, Buick Regal, Chevy Montecarlo.  I even find the Dodge Mirada kinda classic cool. In the 80's Dodge Shelby Charger, Daytona,  Shadow and even Omni GLH /GLHS etc.  Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar, Lincoln MKVII etc. Toss in a  few nice and not too pricy today Porsches such as 944, 944turbo and 928, add the 80's VW Corrado, well I find that these cars    have character, give a lot of what a driver may want,  plus a level of individuality of design and function with a  dose of simplicity, as well as   less  bling and crap that again all too many cars have today.

Hell even modern pick up trucks are all flash and bling. To a point that you  may feel that you do not  want to track in  construction dirt,   farm/ranch dirt, or even take the 4x4 off roading.  They  no longer  look to be  used as get dirty, work  trucks, where as  older trucks of the 80's-70's-60's etc.  wanted to get down and dirty and many look pretty cool at all that,  and I'M NOT EVEN A TRUCK GUY! But  appreciate them for it all.

Anyways is this sort of  feeling   kinda  just me  or do any of you  guys feel similar?

I hope this thread  does not  end up sounding like crickets.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or are other persons starting to like that character of cars from yesteryear? Empty Re: Is it just me, or are other persons starting to like that character of cars from yesteryear?

Post by Honor Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:38 pm

We moved back home.

www.automobileforum.com
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down