Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new shoes for my forester. now i sorta want to do a strut lift.

+3
Honor
Tailhappy
ryguy79
7 posters

Go down

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. Empty new shoes for my forester. now i sorta want to do a strut lift.

Post by ryguy79 Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 pm

yay tires. i figure i do a fair bit of driving on backroads in the mountains, so i got a set of yokohama geolander at-s for the forester today. it also is going to need struts in the near future, and i'm really tempted to get a 1" strut lift when the time comes.

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. DSCN2312

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. DSCN2311

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. DSCN2308
ryguy79
ryguy79
I'm so weary and tired of the world's weariness and tiredness.

Back to top Go down

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. Empty Re: new shoes for my forester. now i sorta want to do a strut lift.

Post by Tailhappy Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Gah! Why do you still have the stock rubber doodads on the rear fenders! Take them off, man, before it starts to rust!

That being said, unless you go with oversized tires, different wheels, and misc. light bars and such, don't lift it. It looks good as it. Just get some KYB GR-2s and be done.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. Empty Re: new shoes for my forester. now i sorta want to do a strut lift.

Post by Honor Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

You guys have two forresters don't you?
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm

yes, my wife has an 07.

new shoes for my forester.  now i sorta want to do a strut lift. DSCN2316

Last edited by ryguy79 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryguy79
ryguy79

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Benfolio wrote:Gah! Why do you still have the stock rubber doodads on the rear fenders! Take them off, man, before it starts to rust!

That being said, unless you go with oversized tires, different wheels, and misc. light bars and such, don't lift it. It looks good as it. Just get some KYB GR-2s and be done.

Gah! Why do you have to sound like a dick all the time? There still there because they are.

1. I wouldn't lift it for looks.
2. Those are slightly oversized.
3. The stock wheels are fine.
4. I've actually been worried about dragging bottom and had to be very careful with line choices driving to some 14er trailheads.
ryguy79
ryguy79

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 pm

What rubber things? The mudflaps? They look fine.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 am

i'm pretty sure he's talking about the little rubber strip that lines the edge of the rear fenders.
ryguy79
ryguy79

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:14 am

Okay. Get skid plates too then.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30 pm

if he's actually going to be doing things like that, then a lift would be a good idea.
now if those geolandars were never to leave tarmac (poser!) then I'd say leave it as is.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:03 pm

I wouldn't lift it, just make sure anything important on the underside is protected.

1" is going to give you much in ground clearance, probably just make your ball joints and CV shafts hate you.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 pm

maybe 1/2"?
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by ryguy79 Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:38 pm

most of the subie forums say an inch or less doesn't cause issues. i'm still undecided, like i said to begin with, i'm just tempted to do it. and then tailhappy had to, well, be himself.
ryguy79
ryguy79

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:10 pm

SORRRRYYY! I was trying to joke around with you, and you got all serious. I know infliction is hard to show with text on a message board. Those rubber things just scare me, man. I'm doing rust repair on my wagon because of those damned things.

Subie forums will tell you to rip them off too so geek

Yeah, 1" or so won't cause problems. The driveline sags more than that when... airborne... anyways. The 96-99 Outback had spacers for both front and rear crossmembers to allow the same driveline angle as a regular Legacy, but the struts and tires give all the lift. I installed those struts for about a 1" lift, didn't use the spacers, then went an additional 1" with tire size alone.
So far my axles, etc, are fine. Hell, the rears aren't even that far from being horizontal when the car is sitting normally.

I say do what you like. But once you get a lift, you won't be able to stop adding off-road gear. Trust me.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Benfolio wrote:SORRRRYYY! I was trying to joke around with you, and you got all serious. I know infliction is hard to show with text on a message board. Those rubber things just scare me, man. I'm doing rust repair on my wagon because of those damned things.

Inflection.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Benfolio wrote:SORRRRYYY! I was trying to joke around with you, and you got all serious. I know infliction is hard to show with text on a message board. Those rubber things just scare me, man. I'm doing rust repair on my wagon because of those damned things.

Inflection.
:lol:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 am

Damn you Google Chrome!
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down