Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan

5 posters

Go down

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan  Empty Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan

Post by SBF Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 pm

I am looking at a Countryman and VW Tiguan as a future replacement for my wife. I want to get her some form of a crossover, something that gets good gas mileage, but can be like and "SUV". Preferably AWD, but I want to keep it around $25k. She wants something full size, but I don't want that.

I was looking at the base model, but it's got the rather lethargic 121 hp 4-cyl that's in the regular Mini and it starts at $23k. If I go up to the "Cooper S" model, it goes to the 181 hp turbo 4-cyl, which still gets good gas mileage, but is only FWD and starts at $25k. If you want AWD you have to go to the "Cooper S ALL4" that starts at $27k and has the same engine as the "S". All models get around 30 mpg.

The problem I see is that by the time you add on any descent options (not all the goofy shit they let you accessorize with) it kicks the top 2 models up to around $30k, which is not worth it.

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan  EX-Mini_Countryman_2011_lfq1-590

Now, I have liked the Tiguan since before it was available on the market.

It is kind of in the same boat as the Countryman. The base "S" starts at $23k, but has the 200 hp Turbo 4 that came in the Golf, Jetta, etc., but it actually has AWD as an option, but knocks it up to $26k. The SE and SEL with AWD knock it up over $30k and that's just ridiculous with a small crossover.

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan  Vw-tiguan-300

I don't know the reliability of Minis, but I know the issues with VWs and that's enough to turn me off. I know there are more affordable cross overs, but I don't want something that came out of a gumball machine. On the other hand, the Kia/Hyundai crossovers are looking rather good and I am curious as to how those are inside and out, along with the AWD systems.

Any thoughts?
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan  Empty Re: Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan

Post by ascona Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:48 am

SBF wrote:I am looking at a Countryman and VW Tiguan as a future replacement for my wife.

you can't have sex with a car, though..
ascona
ascona
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:18 am

Pretty funny.

I know you don't want a cookie cutter car, but I would think a used Forrester our Outback would be the way to go in this category. Or, if you want something different, the Toyota FJ Cruiser is my personal favourite SUV not sold here. If that's too big, how about the Honda Element?

Any reason not to go used?

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 am

Not really. I could go used. By the time we get a new car, most 2011 cars will be available used.

She doesn't like Subaru's for some reason, no Outback for sure, she doesn't like station wagons, but I don't see a problem with the new Forester because it's pretty much turning into the Rav4/CRV looks wise. My wife hates the Element, actually she hates anything that looks like a box with wheels.

I did some research last night and I really like the 2011 Kia Sportage. It's got a 176 hp 2.4L 4-cyl with AWD and it gets 29 mpg. It also starts at $21k and with the options I know she'll want, gets up to a little under $24k.

It's a pretty good deal and the styling doesn't offend me.

Mini Countryman vs. VW Tiguan  2011_kia_sportage_showfloor_10_cd_gallery
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 pm

you can support my georgian efforts and get a Sorento. lolll

btw, it probably won't quite get 29 mpg, close but that is at EPA driving style

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:06 pm

ascona wrote:
SBF wrote:I am looking at a Countryman and VW Tiguan as a future replacement for my wife.

you can't have sex with a car, though..
Yeah, and I'm sure the ol' girls still got a lotta life left in her.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down