Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sounds like a great weight-loss plan!

+3
Dodge
TheWoerus
xtine
7 posters

Go down

Sounds like a great weight-loss plan! Empty Sounds like a great weight-loss plan!

Post by xtine Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:25 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25023828/

Salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has spread to 16 states, federal health officials said Saturday.

Investigations by the Texas and New Mexico Departments of Health and the U.S. Indian Health Service have tied 56 cases in Texas and 55 in New Mexico to raw, uncooked, tomatoes.

"We're seeing a steady increase," Deborah Busemeyer, New Mexico Department of Health communications director, said Saturday.

An additional 50 people have been sickened by the same Salmonella "Saintpaul" infection in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

Investigators are trying to determine if raw tomatoes also are responsible for the illnesses in those states, said Arleen Porcell, a CDC spokeswoman.

The source of the tomatoes responsible for the illnesses has not been pinpointed, but health officials in Texas and New Mexico said none of them was grown in those two states.

At least 23 people have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported, she said. Patients ranged in age from 1 to 82.

The rarity of the Saintpaul strain and the number of illnesses "suggest that implicated tomatoes are distributed throughout the country," she said.

Interviews conducted with 73 people found the illnesses began between April 16 and May 27, Porcell said.

Source of outbreak
Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, tomatoes sold with the vine still attached and homegrown tomatoes are likely not the source of the outbreak, Busemeyer said.

Also not associated with the outbreak are raw Roma, red plum and round red tomatoes from Arkansas, California, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Belgium, Canada, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Israel, Netherlands and Puerto Rico, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Association.

Salmonella is a bacteria that lives in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals. It usually is transmitted to humans by eating food contaminated with animal feces.

Most infected people suffer fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps starting 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness tends to last four to seven days. Many people recover without treatment, but severe infection and death is possible.
xtine
xtine
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Sounds like a great weight-loss plan! Empty Re: Sounds like a great weight-loss plan!

Post by TheWoerus Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Fascinating stuff. I think working in public health would be a fascinating career.
TheWoerus
TheWoerus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Sounds like a great weight-loss plan! Empty Re: Sounds like a great weight-loss plan!

Post by Dodge Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

I went to subway on sunday, and the dude in front of me had a freaking fit because they had no tomatos, he literally stormed outa the place in a temper tantrum right in front of his wife and kids.

woe
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by xtine Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Sounds like a great weight-loss plan! Attack_of_the_killer_tomato
xtine
xtine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWoerus Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Dodge wrote:I went to subway on sunday, and the dude in front of me had a freaking fit because they had no tomatos, he literally stormed outa the place in a temper tantrum right in front of his wife and kids.

woe

haha I did the same thing at McDonalds. Wtf sort of BLT bagel doesn't have tomatoes?
TheWoerus
TheWoerus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 pm

xtine wrote:Sounds like a great weight-loss plan! Attack_of_the_killer_tomato

:roflmao: :roflmao: :talon2:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xtine Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

We went to Taco Bell for lunch and they had a big notice up on the drive-thru window.

Of course, anyone who gets that "fresco" on their food deserves a week of fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps.
xtine
xtine

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Dodge wrote:I went to subway on sunday, and the dude in front of me had a freaking fit because they had no tomatos, he literally stormed outa the place in a temper tantrum right in front of his wife and kids.

woe

haha I did the same thing at McDonalds. Wtf sort of BLT bagel doesn't have tomatoes?

there must be a rash of this. my old boss got into it with a mcdonald's manager because of a happy meal situation that had gone bad.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 pm

ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Aristotle wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

woe

there must be a rash of this. my old boss got into it with a mcdonald's manager because of a happy meal situation that had gone bad.

wasn't really a happy meal after all
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:45 pm

haha - no, it wasn't very happy. :roflmao:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:16 pm

big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:45 am

Just saw a Burger King commercial that had a cross-promo tie in with the Indiana Jones movie...made a point to show the guy slinging tomatoes onto a Whopper like he was cracking a whip. Yeah, that's not happening today.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:28 am

big_jesus wrote:

repost

sorry
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down