Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone get a next gen console yet?

+4
JaysonAych
Tailhappy
Talon
Honor
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone get a next gen console yet?  Empty Anyone get a next gen console yet?

Post by Honor Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm wondering how Forza 5 is. Looks great and there are a few new cars that I'm excited about like the Ariel Atom. I was going to wait a bit to get a Xbone, but not sure if I should or just buy one now.

Are there any major kinks to clear out with the newer models like RRODS with the early 360s? I haven't really done much reading on it.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Anyone get a next gen console yet?  Empty Re: Anyone get a next gen console yet?

Post by Talon Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm

I am going to get a PS4 but am in no rush. Maybe in the spring.
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Anyone get a next gen console yet?  Empty Re: Anyone get a next gen console yet?

Post by Honor Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Youre married with children now buddy, you got time for that shit?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:09 pm

So far but who knows...

Actually been playing some good old Ratchet & Clank PS2 titles lately. The Going Commando title is one of my top three favorite games of all time.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 pm

I barely have time, and probably only play on my 360 because its too cold in the garage to work on my T/A.

Come spring I'll probably stop playing video games all together. Even Forza 5 or GT6 don't interest me much.

Now if they came out on the 360 I might.... only because I have a few games I could trade in towards the purchase. No way am I getting a new console.

I'd rather spend the money on car parts.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:08 am

Tailhappy wrote:I barely have time, and probably only play on my 360 because its too cold in the garage to work on my T/A.

Come spring I'll probably stop playing video games all together. Even Forza 5 or GT6 don't interest me much.

Now if they came out on the 360 I might.... only because I have a few games I could trade in towards the purchase. No way am I getting a new console.

I'd rather spend the money on car parts.

I should be getting XBL gift card for my birthday, and I plan on buying State of Decay once I get it.  

There's nothing too exciting on the next-gen consoles right now.  Maybe as we get closer to the next holiday season I'll look at picking one up.  Right now I'm still playing through a few of my 360 games, and I'd like to upgrade my computer sometime too.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:04 am

I wish they would release MS Flight Simulator and Train Simulator for the Xboxes. I'm not sure how they would work on my laptop and I have no interest in building a gaming PC.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:08 am

Shit, they don't even make those anymore. I just assumed there had been some new versions released in the past several years.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Like Jay said, there really aren't any must-have titles out for the next gens. Makes it easier to not want to buy one right away.

Hell, I still only have a 720p TV in the man-bunker, so it almost defeats the purpose of having the PS4 anyway.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Honor wrote:Shit, they don't even make those anymore. I just assumed there had been some new versions released in the past several years.

They don't make MS Flight Simulator anymore??  Holy shit, that was a stable of my youth.  I loved flying the P-51 over San Francisco... which version was that again?

I think it was MS Flight Simulator 1998...
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 am

I don't have $400 for an XBone, so I'm not getting one anytime soon.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:54 am

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:Shit, they don't even make those anymore. I just assumed there had been some new versions released in the past several years.

They don't make MS Flight Simulator anymore??  Holy shit, that was a stable of my youth.  I loved flying the P-51 over San Francisco... which version was that again?

I think it was MS Flight Simulator 1998...

The only one I played was the original on our IBM back in the mid-80s. For a 5 year old (or anyone else for that matter), piloting a jumbo from London to New York in Hercules graphics was about the most tedious thing imaginable.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Fuck, so you can't play 360 games on the Xbox one? So much for selling my 360 once I get one. Do they always pull this stunt to try to force people to buy more shit? Greedy fucks.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 pm

My PS3 will play PS2 games, but the PS4 won't play either. I guess I'll just hang on to my PS3. :shrug:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Mine does too, but it's a launch edition, so it's glitchy and temperamental (and can't play GT6 or ACIV without crashing), and I'm thinking of just getting a late model and using the fat PS3 as a PS2 replacement. the PS4 can wait.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

How could Sony release GT6 for the old PS3 like a month before the release of the PS4? Couldnt you guys have planned this a little better and made this a PS4 launch title? What a fail.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Oh sorry the PS4 came out a month BEFORE GT6. Lol.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Better that than to rush it to next gen launch like Turn10 did with Forza 5, and piss off a BUNCH of fans with lack of cars, tracks, and other niceties.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 pm

The've been working on the PS4 for years, just like they've probably been working on GT6 for years now too. I don't know why they couldn't have just took their time and made it a launch title. There was nothing really rushing them.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 pm

I might pick it up anyway even though I wasn't crazy about GT5.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Man, I could probably use a console. Having a wife in law school leaves me with a lot of free time...
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:05 pm

You've been talking about it for years. Fucking buy one already.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:16 am

Tailhappy wrote:Better that than to rush it to next gen launch like Turn10 did with Forza 5, and piss off a BUNCH of fans with lack of cars, tracks, and other niceties.

I think I remembered seeing an article when Dan Greenawalt said he never once considered the fact that people would compare Forza 5 to the rest of the series, and that people would just approach it as the next-gen of online racing and compare it to other titles in the Xbone and PS4 libraries favorably. He said that it wasn't until the release and all the criticism that he even gave a thought to the notion that people might ask if it were bigger and better than Forza 4, and he said he felt foolish for not considering that.

He's either lying out his ass or ridiculously out of touch with reality.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 am

What a dufus.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:13 am

I actually picked up a PS4 yesterday. Was out and Kmart had one (literally one) so I figured wth. I don’t have any games or anything yet… haven’t even take it out of the box. I have $100 gift card to Gamestop so I am going to start looking for a game and probably get an extra controller. One of my buddies has the new Killzone so I might just borrow that for a while.

My PS3 is a gen1 system and it's been solid as a rock, so hopefully this one is as well.

Last edited by Talon on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 am

Is there a market for 360s? I've not turned mine on in months, maybe years. I'm only keeping it because I am sure it's only worth like $40, but anyone know?
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:56 pm

When the new consoles came out they were offering "up to" $199 trade in value.... but I also saw STACKS of them (and PS3s) at Game Stop selling for less than $80.

Depends on which version you have, what games/accessories you sell with it, and how big the HD is I guess. People still play on them, as there isn't any really good next gen games out yet and 360's still RROD so there's people out there looking to buy all the time.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:17 am

I'd look to eBay it.  I'm sure GameStop won't give you piss for it.  A console-only old style 360 listing on eBay is going for around $50, whereas a 250 GB slim is going for about $140.  Depends on what you sell with it.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am

It's the 10gig model. I have four games (Gears 2 & 3, Ace Combat, and FEAR) and two controllers.

I fired it up yesterday and played Ace Combat for like five minutes, then the screen cut out. It wasn't my TV. I could still hear the game in the background but couldn't see it. I turned it off and back on a few mins later, same thing. Tried again 10 mins later and got the home screen but it was late and I didn't feel like f'ing with it.

I'm going to try it again soon. If the same thing happens, to Gamestop it goes. I don't care how much they give me. If it works long enough to pass their test it's their problem*.

What a POS console the 360 was.

*Yes, I realize someone will potentially buy it but if it doesn't work they can exchange/return it.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 am

My 360 RROD'd once, back in like... 2010 and it was under warranty. It's been dead nuts reliable since.
Knock on wood.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 am

You know what, fuck that POS. Tried it again yesterday and it did the same shit. Plays for like five minutes then the video cuts off. It’s a gen1 referb console (my original gen1 RROD) w/ the 10 gig HD, so it’s the lowest model. I couldn’t in good conscious put it on eBay and even if I did – or sold it to Gamestop – I would get minimal money for it. I am seriously thinking $15-20 as-is and maybe $40 assuming it worked. It wouldn’t even be economical to try and fix it. I’m thinking it might just be the connector cable but it would cost more to buy a new one to try than the whole thing is even worth. But, even that works for a while so it’s like when the system warms up, it shits out. And yes, it’s sitting horizontal and out in the open.

I am just going to hang onto it and take it to my buddy’s place and shoot it with a shotgun. That gratification is worth much more than what Gamestop would give me.

Fucking POS system.
 :sonofscreamo:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Mine is the lowest. It's the Arcade version that came with NO HD, and only a 512MB memory card.

Make sure you record it's death, and post it to youtube.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:15 pm

I will. One of my coworkers lives in the boonies. One of my other buddy's has a TV that is on the shits, so I'm hoping we can fire up a generator and actually hook up the XBox and play it for a few mins, then when it shuts off, kill them both.

Could be interesting...

PS - POFS  :grrr: 
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Talon, sounds like it's either the cords or the port the cords connects to, probably not the box itself.

Honor wrote:I might pick it up anyway even though I wasn't crazy about GT5.

GT5 was sort of disappointing, gameplay wise. Yeah it had great graphics and better, newer cars and maybe a better physics model, but I found myself going back to GT4 and other games for my racing fix. I think all I ended up doing on GT5 was grinding and doing arcade runs on the Nurburgring trying to beat the lap records in each car. GT6 however is very good. The gameplay is more linear, modding is a little more involved, the physics are good, the graphics are better, and you don't have to grind much, if at all, so the game is infinitely less infuriating.

Plus, Stingray in colors other than red and silver.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:42 pm

So I hear even lower end pc graphics cards are more powerful than those found in the xbox one or ps4. Really wondering if id be happy forgoing consoles and getting back into pc gaming.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't think it's that bad if you have someone build it for you though. Or if you build it yourself, but fuck that.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 am

Honor wrote:So I hear even lower end pc graphics cards are more powerful than those found in the xbox one or ps4. Really wondering if id be happy forgoing consoles and getting back into pc gaming.

The graphics cards used in the Xbone and PS4 first hit the market in the beginning of 2012.  Considering the development cycle of the consoles, this doesn't seem unreasonable.  They may not be top of the line at the moment, but they're no slouch right now.  What makes the consoles more powerful for gaming is how their architecture is designed specifically to handle gaming, and it will take a few years before you can buy a PC that can perform as well as a console for the same price.

In this article, they talk about how you might be able to build a PC for the same price as a PS4 and have it perform similarly but not quite as good, and this is without an operating system, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, DVD or Blu-Ray drive, and so on. If you want to buy one pre-assembled though, it's gonna cost a lot more.  http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171158-can-you-build-a-gaming-pc-better-than-the-ps4-for-400
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

PCs are too much work. I just want to plug-n-play... which consoles are getting to be more of a pita in that respect too. Always needing updates and game patches and shit.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah, how much more powerful is the PS4 than the Xbone? I'm looking for an objective and measurable answer.

I tried looking up the stats but it doesn't look like it'll be easy to make a direct comparison, like (2ghz vs 1.7ghz) etc. I don't really want to spend alot of time trying to decipher it.

This will probably sound lame, but one of the main reasons I want to stick with Xbox is because I spent alot of time getting achievements and a high gamerscore and I'd prefer to keep using that profile. But if the PS4 is significantly more powerful, in addition to being cheaper, I might have to reconsider.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next