Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOORAY ARMAGEDDON

+3
thewalrus
Honor
big_jesus
7 posters

Go down

HOORAY ARMAGEDDON Empty HOORAY ARMAGEDDON

Post by big_jesus Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

HOORAY ARMAGEDDON Empty Re: HOORAY ARMAGEDDON

Post by big_jesus Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Missing vials of a potentially dangerous virus have prompted an Army investigation into the disappearance from a lab in Maryland.

The Army's Criminal Investigation Command agents have been visiting Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland, to investigate the disappearance of the vials. Christopher Grey, spokesman for the command, said this latest investigation has found "no evidence of criminal activity."

The vials contained samples of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis, a virus that sickens horses and can be spread to humans by mosquitoes. In 97 percent of cases, humans with the virus suffer flu-like symptoms, but it can be deadly in about 1 out of 100 cases, according to Caree Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. There is an effective vaccine for the disease and there hasn't been an outbreak in the United States since 1971.

The vials had been at the research institute's facility at Fort Detrick, home of the Army's top biological research facility, for more than a decade. The three missing vials were among thousands of vials that were under the control of a senior scientist who retired in 2004. When another Fort Detrick scientist recently inventoried the retired scientist's biological samples, he discovered that the three vials of the virus were missing. The original scientist's records about his vials dated back to the days of paper-and-pen inventories.

During the investigation, the retired scientist and another former Fort Detrick researcher cooperated with investigating agents and, according to Vander Linden, they came back to the facility to help look for the vials.

Vander Linden said the investigators know that several years ago an entire freezer full of biological samples broke down and all the samples had to be safely destroyed. But a complete inventory of what was in the freezer was not done before the samples were destroyed. Vander Linden said there's a "strong possibility" the vials were in that freezer and destroyed, but that isn't known for sure.

This investigation comes two months after all research at the research institute facility at Fort Detrick was halted for a complete computer-based inventory of all disease samples at the fort. That inventory is expected to be complete before summer and may help solve the mystery of the three missing vials, officials said.

The Army investigation is in its final stages and is expected to be closed soon.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm

it's about damn time
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Doesn't sound very scary to me. There's far worse stuff out there. Plus we don't even know if it's been stolen. Sounds more like CNN trying to stir up some ratings for itself.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:02 pm

i think we know what happened to that virus.

coincidence that the stories magically appeared within days of each other?

i think not.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1893280,00.html
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

ha! Terrorists devoted to killing strictly ponies strike fear into the hearts of 6 year girls everywhere.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:30 pm

thewalrus wrote:Doesn't sound very scary to me. There's far worse stuff out there. Plus we don't even know if it's been stolen. Sounds more like CNN trying to stir up some ratings for itself.

Quit pissing on my "The Stand" fantasy where almost everyone's dead but me and I raid the Porsche dealership.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Lately I've begun realizing that in all my post-apocalyptic fantasies i'll most likely be dead.
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm

indeed.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:47 pm

I want to know what happens to the other 2% of people that don't get flu like symptoms or die.

Zombeism hopefully. :dunnas:
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:48 pm

morlockism
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down