Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's Tonight show comment

+3
Les_Vipers_rule
JaysonAych
1300ZUK
7 posters

Go down

Obama's Tonight show comment Empty Obama's Tonight show comment

Post by 1300ZUK Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 pm

The special Olympics comment went right over my head.

but when he said his dog wasn't going to be a waterhead i laughed

-fml-

1300ZUK
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Obama's Tonight show comment Empty Re: Obama's Tonight show comment

Post by JaysonAych Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 am

I think it went over a lot of people's heads. As un-PC as it is, most people I know still use phrases like, "that's retarded," and so on to disparage things.

Still not a very wise thing to say in front of a huge national audience. :smelly:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Too many people today live to be offended at almost anything. I often like listening to old time radio and often the commentary of the scripts and the old time commercials which were seen as innocuous back then would be offensive to many today. WWII era shows often referred to Japanese as just "The Japs" to name one. Other terms used in the day of these shows often put down women. They marginalized other visible minorities too. Was it right? No not really but it's a part of society. In reality we need to pick and choose the severity of P.C. Sometimes we just need to lighten up and laugh it off, other times we need to stand in defending levels of P.C.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:14 pm

in other words its ok because obama said it. what if bush or sarah palin said it? you and many others would be shitting bricks. stop giving obama a free pass and hold him accountable for his fuck-ups. jesus christ.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:53 pm

On the other hand Honor, this isn't exactly dismissing the constitution as a piece of paper. It's a comment that I'd say 90% of Americans have made themselves at some point in time which is a big factor in the relatively low amount of fury released at this.

I think the funniest part is that a US Special Olympian who's a bowler challenged Obama to a match. This guy's got like 5 perfect games under his belt in the last few years. So to make the statement correct, watching Barack Obama bowl is worse than the Special Olympics.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:00 pm

so you honestly think if bush or palin said it that people would react the same way? im not saying i support them or anything, but double standards suck.

and the thing about the bowler challenging him is pretty fuckin funny.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 pm

I've always followed one main principle - don't let the little things bother you. Then when you actually get mad people know you're serious.

This is a non-issue and doesn't affect in any way whatsoever how he runs the country. I don't think it's smart but I've definitely said the exact same thing at times. If anything me getting mad is posing a double standard and being hypocritical myself.

Save it for when it matters.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

honor man wrote:so you honestly think if bush or palin said it that people would react the same way? im not saying i support them or anything, but double standards suck.

and the thing about the bowler challenging him is pretty fuckin funny.

Yeah, it's true. There is a huge double standard to shit like that and I could care less that he said it but I know exactly what you mean. Some black reporter in philly called someone a "knuckle-headed cracker" after an interview and they put the clip up online by mistake for like 6 hours. People definitely saw it but the clip was taken down and he still has a job without any consequences whatsoever. Imagine if a white guy said something similar and the press got a hold of it.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 pm

yeah, theyd burn him at the stake.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:57 am

the best part of all of it is that they actually interviewed a special olympic bowler who has played like four or five perfect-300 games, and he started giving him advice.

the touche heard round the world. :roflmao:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down