Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The world's largest record collector.

+3
Aristotle
dunnas
Les_Vipers_rule
7 posters

Go down

The world's largest record collector. Empty The world's largest record collector.

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 am

LINK HERE

69 years old and has about 3 million records. It is estimated at $50 million in value, he is asking $3 million. The Library of Congress estimates that his selection just from 1948 to 1966 has only been reproduced in CD format at 17%. That mean 83% of the music he has from that era is unavailable to the public.

His point that nobody cares today is more correct than not and sadly if it all passes on in 10-20 years many will think Holy Crap we've lost a whole era in music. One would figure that the Library of Congress would cut him a cheque for $3 million and take his great collection into the protection of the govt.

The ADHD generation just cannot seem to listen to music. Oh it's on but they are incapable of just sitting down and listening. I see all too often the ADHD generation with their all music in crappy Mp3 format play a song for 30-60 seconds and then skip to the next one and so on as they jump around like Mexican jumping beans... It's sad how for all too many today just kicking back maybe with a favourite beverage and maybe with the lights out or down low and listening to music is something that seems passe.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

The world's largest record collector. Empty Re: The world's largest record collector.

Post by dunnas Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 am

I don't listen to music full stop. What do ya think of that. :thwak:
dunnas
dunnas
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

The world's largest record collector. Empty Re: The world's largest record collector.

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:34 am

dunnas wrote:I don't listen to music full stop. What do ya think of that. :thwak:

Your loss. Woe
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 pm

that's a big assed collection.

i'm surprised some eccentric rich guy hasn't bought it, though. they usually snap that stuff up.
Aristotle
Aristotle
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

stupid kids these days, eh?
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:39 pm

lol
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:26 pm

I wonder if he has a copy of Sgt. Pepper.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 pm

Holy shit les can you ever make a post that doesn't end in some fucked up misanthropic rant?
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Olds wrote:Holy shit les can you ever make a post that doesn't end in some fucked up misanthropic rant?

Just trying to create a discussion here.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 pm

thewalrus wrote:I wonder if he has a copy of Sgt. Pepper.

Probably
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:44 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
I see all too often the ADHD generation with their all music in crappy Mp3 format play a song for 30-60 seconds and then skip to the next one and so on as they jump around like Mexican jumping beans... It's sad how for all too many today just kicking back maybe with a favourite beverage and maybe with the lights out or down low and listening to music is something that seems passe.

Where exactly do you see all these "ADHD generation" kids skipping songs on their computers? And what's crappy about mp3 format? I don't think it has as much to do with the difference in people today as it does with technological advances. When your choices for entertainment were a very limited selection of TV and records it isn't hard to see why more people listened to a lot of music. Personally I'm a big music fan and I listen to lots of different stuff.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Omni wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
I see all too often the ADHD generation with their all music in crappy Mp3 format play a song for 30-60 seconds and then skip to the next one and so on as they jump around like Mexican jumping beans... It's sad how for all too many today just kicking back maybe with a favourite beverage and maybe with the lights out or down low and listening to music is something that seems passe.

Where exactly do you see all these "ADHD generation" kids skipping songs on their computers? And what's crappy about mp3 format? I don't think it has as much to do with the difference in people today as it does with technological advances. When your choices for entertainment were a very limited selection of TV and records it isn't hard to see why more people listened to a lot of music. Personally I'm a big music fan and I listen to lots of different stuff.

I see it with numerous kids, teens and even many 20 somethings today. I've also talked about it with many others who see the same.

As to MP3 it is not hi-fi, that's its problem. It's lifeless shrill (well maybe it's good enough for the music of oh girl groups and other bubble gum tripe and low to no talent air head bands, hip hoppers and rappers) that anyone who has experienced what higher fidelity can give the listener will avoid MP3 stuff like the plague. It's a convenience product for probably those ADHD'ers and other lazy ass'ers who cannot appreciate music offered in various recorded hi-fi formats. Oh it's fine for maybe your casual personal audio setup while you may work or exercise or whatever but it sucks in terms of audio quality.

As for you, good that you take time in your life to listen but do you listen at it as merely background stuff (which is fine but not the same as real listening) or do you actually sit, relax and unwind for say an hour or two to just listen? Trust me to sit and just listen at times is a great way to soak up all music, relax, appreciate music you may like (hopefully good talented artists and not most of the crap often pushed on us all by the major labels today) and maybe just reflect life or at times share the experience with others you may love and like. Trust me again I bet making such real listening a part of one's life at times will do more to settle down a mostly IMO bull shit ADHD syndrome person than the shit drugs pumped into their bodies.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote: Trust me again I bet making such real listening a part of one's life at times will do more to settle down a mostly IMO bull shit ADHD syndrome person than the shit drugs pumped into their bodies.

No, ADHD is a real illness with real symptoms that are effectively treated with real drugs. Is that always the ideal solution? No. Is ADHD overdiagnosed? Yep. But for somone who has that illness drugs are a good solution.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:57 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote: Trust me again I bet making such real listening a part of one's life at times will do more to settle down a mostly IMO bull shit ADHD syndrome person than the shit drugs pumped into their bodies.

No, ADHD is a real illness with real symptoms that are effectively treated with real drugs. Is that always the ideal solution? No. Is ADHD overdiagnosed? Yep. But for somone who has that illness drugs are a good solution.

You can believe that!
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Omni wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

I see it with numerous kids, teens and even many 20 somethings today. I've also talked about it with many others who see the same.

As to MP3 it is not hi-fi, that's its problem. It's lifeless shrill (well maybe it's good enough for the music of oh girl groups and other bubble gum tripe and low to no talent air head bands, hip hoppers and rappers) that anyone who has experienced what higher fidelity can give the listener will avoid MP3 stuff like the plague. It's a convenience product for probably those ADHD'ers and other lazy ass'ers who cannot appreciate music offered in various recorded hi-fi formats. Oh it's fine for maybe your casual personal audio setup while you may work or exercise or whatever but it sucks in terms of audio quality.

As for you, good that you take time in your life to listen but do you listen at it as merely background stuff (which is fine but not the same as real listening) or do you actually sit, relax and unwind for say an hour or two to just listen? Trust me to sit and just listen at times is a great way to soak up all music, relax, appreciate music you may like (hopefully good talented artists and not most of the crap often pushed on us all by the major labels today) and maybe just reflect life or at times share the experience with others you may love and like. Trust me again I bet making such real listening a part of one's life at times will do more to settle down a mostly IMO bull shit ADHD syndrome person than the shit drugs pumped into their bodies.
Arrogant much?
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
I'm a knowitall cunt.
agreed!
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

dunnas wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Omni wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

Arrogant much?

Maybe you should tell me.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

I'm sure that you do but that does not guarantee that you are correct.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

big_jesus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
I'm a knowitall cunt.
agreed!

The bigger issue is you putting words into my mouth (post), a little immature eh?
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:12 pm

No immature than your constant "I know best" posts to everybody.

And yes, you are arrogant much. :jay:
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:35 pm

dunnas wrote:No immature than your constant "I know best" posts to everybody.

And yes, you are arrogant much. :jay:

I know what I know and do my best to defend my point, it has nothing to do with "I know best". There are others who carry on like that here. If you want a yes man or puppet, you are not going to get that from me. Arrogance, no I'm not confident and knowlegable yes I am.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

No, no it doesn't. But in the case of a discrepancy between an internet opinion and the greater body of scientific, neurological, psychological, and psychiatric evidence... I'm going with the latter.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:36 am

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

No, no it doesn't. But in the case of a discrepancy between an internet opinion and the greater body of scientific, neurological, psychological, and psychiatric evidence... I'm going with the latter.

Your prerogative.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:18 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

Your prerogative.

Yes it is. I like science.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

Your prerogative.

So do I but it does not guarantee all what you say as correct.

The US pharmaceutical industry, creating new drug junkies from the earliest stages of life. No other nation seems to pump as much drugs into its population to appease a generally ignorant and apathetic society with a thought or feeling for some magic bullet in a pill form for all sorts of often uneeded reasons from the earliest of ages of person's life.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

Your prerogative.

The US pharmaceutical industry, creating new drug junkies from the earliest stages of life. No other nation seems to pump as much drugs into its population to appease a generally ignorant and apathetic society with a thought or feeling for some magic bullet in a pill form for all sorts of often uneeded reasons from the earliest of ages of person's life.

No one is arguing that drugs aren't abused both illegally and legally. That said I'll repeat ADHD is a genuine disorder with biochemical causes and behavioral effects. It can be treated effectively. I've seen the benefits it's brought to friends and I've heard about pleanty of other postive results anicdotally. It works. It's effective. End of story. Is it over / miss - diagnosed. Yes. But pleanty of illnesses are.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:38 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

You can believe that!

I do believe it.

Your prerogative.

No one is arguing that drugs aren't abused both illegally and legally. That said I'll repeat ADHD is a genuine disorder with biochemical causes and behavioral effects. It can be treated effectively. I've seen the benefits it's brought to friends and I've heard about pleanty of other postive results anicdotally. It works. It's effective. End of story. Is it over / miss - diagnosed. Yes. But pleanty of illnesses are.

You are likely correct that there is some percentage of cases with true ADHD symptoms that are credible but I think many just use ADHD as a crutch for their own and/or kids generally lazy, ineffective lifestyle. Parents looking for some simple answer with a magic pill as a tool for why lil Johnny or Sara are all kind of whacky and jumpy without having to do more work in building a more healthy lifestyle, in the forms of better diet, activities and general good family unit stuff. The ease with which many people want to throw around ADHD as a syndrome for what especially are seen as fat assed, lazy, inattentive, unimaginative with poor social skilled youth is a problem.

As I said the USA is likely the most but not alone guilty of trying to placate society with another fucking pill rather than having society doing due diligence to do the right and yes often hard thing. Too many phony illnesses and mis-diagnosed illnesses just to often shut whiny parents up rather than educate parents to do their fucking job and teach, instill more responsibility, accountability and effort into their kids than pump pills into their kids mouths.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down