Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samsung's new watch phone

5 posters

Go down

Samsung's new watch phone Empty Samsung's new watch phone

Post by Honor Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm

The commercial is pretty cool since it mentions some neat things in pop culture history, specifically Knight Rider and the Predator, but I think a watch phone is more of a novelty in this day and age more than anything else. So it's a tiny phone strapped to your wrist. Big deal. It doesn't seem as impressive when everyone is carrying a miniature computer/phone/camera/gps device, etc. around with them everywhere they go. I don't think it even functions independently, I think you might have to pair it to a regular cellphone, but I dunno. If this came out 10 years ago or more it would seem like a much bigger deal to me than it does in 2013.

Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Samsung's new watch phone Empty Re: Samsung's new watch phone

Post by thewalrus Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:51 pm

I wouldn't buy one. I'm partial to my old school watch technology. I don't even like batteries.

thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

You have wind up ones? That's cool. How often do you have to wind them?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Honor wrote:You have wind up ones? That's cool. How often do you have to wind them?
Automatics, so they have a pendulum inside that automatically winds the watch through my motion. No electricity though, all mechanical. Which I love.

This is what's inside the watch on my wrist right now.

Samsung's new watch phone Tudor2824c

And the outside:

Samsung's new watch phone 1045170d1365790503-i-envy-all-you-own-tudor-black-bay-tudor-heritage-black-bay
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Nice. What's with the cloth band instead of a metal-link or leather one though?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Honor wrote:Nice. What's with the cloth band instead of a metal-link or leather one though?
Practicality. I use this watch diving and swimming, so a leather band wouldn't be very good in water. And a strap is usually easier to use / adjust than a metal bracelet depending on what you wear in the water - thin wetsuit, thick wetsuit, no wetsuit, etc. etc.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I liked the Predator and Inspector Gadget (used to watch that a lot as a kid) watches. But, I would never buy one of those.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Why is it every picture I see of a watch, the time is - or very close to - 10:10?
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:41 pm

BTW - That's a sick ass watch, Wally.

I was looking at a similar looking one not too long ago.

Samsung's new watch phone 6265-hero

http://www.luminox.com/watches/sea/+/watch/A.6265/

It's like $500... too rich for my blood.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Talon wrote:BTW - That's a sick ass watch, Wally.

I was looking at a similar looking one not too long ago.

Samsung's new watch phone 6265-hero

http://www.luminox.com/watches/sea/+/watch/A.6265/

It's like $500... too rich for my blood.
Thanks man. This is the only one I wear anymore. My wife bought it for me on our honeymoon, and I never take it off now.

I also have a dress watch that she bought me for the wedding itself.

Those Luminoxes are cool. I love the tritium tubes.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Actually I dig the Samsung Watch phone. It's pretty damn cool IMO. I wouldn't buy one, but I could see this becoming a thing. It probably has bluetooth built in for all those dopes who don't ever take theirs off.

Hope it has a significant battery life.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 am

SBF wrote:Actually I dig the Samsung Watch phone. It's pretty damn cool IMO. I wouldn't buy one, but I could see this becoming a thing. It probably has bluetooth built in for all those dopes who don't ever take theirs off.

Hope it has a significant battery life.
I can see the use to it, for sure. If you can discreetly check your texts and emails and phone calls on your wrist in the middle of a meeting, that could be huge.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 am

I love love love that commercial. The Galaxy Gear, not so much. It's about as stylish as one of those Casio wrist calculators from the 80s. Functionally it has potential but it looks so dull and you'd look like a dweeb using it. And I believe you do have to pair it to a phone, so it's just one more gadget to squint at that likely isn't nearly as convenient as just pulling out your phone, except for the situation Wally pointed out above.

JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down