Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club

+3
Dodge
ascona
Talon
7 posters

Go down

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club Empty Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club

Post by Talon Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 pm

If anyone here cares about cars or driving anymore...

Got an invite to a fun day from one of my dad's buddies. Fun little track... had a good time tossing the RSXS around and passing 911s and Vettes and shit. We were going to have five, 30 minute sessions. It started pouring on the fourth session and the car was getting lose in the corners so I skipped the fifth. Still got 2 hours of track time, so that's not bad. I have a video of one of the runs so maybe I'll chop it up and post eventually... good times. :talon2:

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7093324b

Stupid Boxers getting in my way...

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7093361b

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7093274b

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7093279b

Side-by-side with a really nice 944T

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7083229b

The hook-up that got me in.

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7083248b

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club P7093353b

Some of the other, non-Porsche cars. Only one that was out there the same time as me was the Vette. I did pass him but he ended up passing me back...

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club Untitled-1

:talon2:
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club Empty Re: Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club

Post by ascona Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 am

great stuff!!!
ascona
ascona
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club Empty Re: Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club

Post by Dodge Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 am

awesome, wish we had some track day action going on around here. If all goes well I'm hoping to take the 240 up to road atlanta next summer for some track action

How's the rsx hold up to the pressure, do some cooling work with it?
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:40 am

That's awesome Talon. So wait, you have the EVO, the Impreza, and the RSX?
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Dodge wrote:awesome, wish we had some track day action going on around here. If all goes well I'm hoping to take the 240 up to road atlanta next summer for some track action

How's the rsx hold up to the pressure, do some cooling work with it?

Do it, man. It's literally the most fun you can have in a car.

No cooling work. The car is very low maintenance, unlike the Eclipse... though the Eclipse was modified a decent amount. My first time around Mid-Ohio in the Eclipse I maxed out the water temp gauge (FMIC blocked the radiator quite nicely) boiled the brake fluid, and was also running the oil temps way hot but didn't know it until I got the oil temp gauge (temps maxed out the gauge which read to 250* :suspense: ). I did some things to help that including putting dryer ducts under the car directed towards the radiator, raised the hood in the back with washers, and removing the front headlight (which also pushed cool air right into the intake). The water temps never went higher than 210* after that. For oil, I ended up buying an oil cooler which kept the oil temps to ~210* too. As far as the brake fluid, 600* Motul and ducts directed to the front calipers was all it took. The Eclipse got about 6mpg on the track. Suspect

The Acura is much less drama, but much less spectacular at the same time. I put some Exo IX wheels on it (where else are you going to find forged aluminum 17x8 wheels for $500?) with sticky street tires (Dunlop Direza D1, which I like better than the KDW's on the Eclipse), Hawk HP+ pads, Motul fluid, and some ducts that go to the front calipers for brake cooling... other than that it's bone stock. Since it's stock, extra water cooling and oil cooling aren't necessary. The Acura has only seen Mid-Ohio once thus far but did much better at this smaller track.

I push[ed] both cars are hard as I possibly could/ can. I'm not out there for a Sunday cruise, I am out there to push myself and the car... that's where the fun is. The Acura requires me to push it harder than the Eclipse because it has no low-end torque. I could easily come out of a turn in the Eclipse at 3k and short shift at 6k and it'd have the balls to pull through, but with the Acura I have to downshift more, and rev it out to about 8k per gear so the next gear will land in VTEC zone or it's a complete dog. Again, the Acura is much less drama and I don't have to worry about looking at like seven gauges to make sure everything is going smooth (water temp, oil temp, oil press, boost, EGT, etc).

All in all, they're both fun cars in their own right. The Eclipse was much faster, but the Acura requires a fraction of the work. :bluntman:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:25 pm

SBF wrote:That's awesome Talon. So wait, you have the EVO, the Impreza, and the RSX?

Yep... back to three mouths to feed. It kind of fell into my lap. Sister's ex-boyfriend was trying to get rid of it so he offered it to me for a killer price, so I flew out to Chicago and drove it home. Shit, just last month I took it on a 1700 road trip and got 34mpg. It's a nice little car. I've thought about selling the RSXS for a while, but after days like yesterday I just can't yet... that shit is so much fun. :talon2:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Uploading video now... will post when it's done.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Here's a vid. Make sure to hit the little expansion arrows to make it bigger if it doesn't come up like that automatically...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5PdIxYjQDk
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:27 pm

The arm makes its glorious return.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:32 pm

JaysonAych wrote:The arm makes its glorious return.

:smellywub:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:16 am

Fun Day at Nelsons with the Porsche Club Cbs.troubby.21360.dd
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:17 am

and why are there two people in your car?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:25 am

Honor wrote:and why are there two people in your car?

The first two sessions I had an instructor with me to go over the best line since it was my first time on that track.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 am

oic
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:39 am

weight distribution
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm

ascona wrote:

weight distribution

Got to balance out that arm.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:21 pm

This would be my car on a track day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KqfzlxftVk
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down