Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD!

+2
1300ZUK
Turbojett
6 posters

Go down

I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! Empty I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD!

Post by Turbojett Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

It's about damn time!

From Motor Trend
B-Segment Surprise: 2011 Chevrolet Viva

General Motors said Friday morning, 10 days after President Obama announced new fuel mileage standards and three days before the automaker declares bankruptcy, that it will build a new small car in an idled U.S. plant.

Thursday afternoon, retiring GM Vice Chairman/Product Chief Bob Lutz showed the Automotive Press Association a chart with recently produced and near-future product names in tiny letters. Most were known to the automotive press. One was not: Chevrolet Viva.

[omitted paragraph concerning anti-auto industry, anti-UAW frippery spewed from Jerry Flint's gaping asshole of a mouth.]

The reopened plant will be a UAW shop, of course. GM says in its release that the retooled plant will have capacity of 160,000 per year, building a combo of small and compact vehicles. GM will determine the sight selection in the future. Lake Orion, Michigan, Wilmington, Delaware or Shreveport, Louisiana, all have potential.

What about the small car? It's not the Chevrolet Spark. That car, a four-door hatchback version of the Beat two-door hatch concept (which used a name Honda still owns), is on an old Daewoo platform. It cost GM some cash to beef up the body structure after it had been designed to meet U.S. and European crash standards.

The new b-segment small car and c-segment compact to be built in the U.S. must be on new, flexible platforms that could be assembled at any GM plant in the world that builds on those same platforms.

The next-generation Chevy Aveo is set for the 2011 model year. If the new car has the kind of design excellence Lutz claims GM has rediscovered, it should be a serious competitor for Ford's 2011 Fiesta. In that case, the Aveo name will do it no favors, so "Viva" seems likely (the moniker dates back to a 1960s Vauxhall and has recently been used on compact GMs in Russia and Australia), if too directly influenced by the Ford's Spanish name.

Building a Chevy Viva in a UAW plant will cost more than building the Aveo in South Korea. It should be much more stylish and upmarket compared with the current Aveo. Chevy would have the advantage over Ford of a more ready supply of its competitor if the b-segment, fueled also by the coming Fiat 500 and a small Dodge, takes off in the next few years.

GM says about 67-percent of GM cars and trucks sold in the U.S. are built in the U.S. (remember, this doesn't include Canadian or Mexican NAFTA production) and that the number will rise to about 70 percent with the addition of the 160,000-unit b-/c-segment plant. An important fact as GM goes into Chapter 11 with help from the federal government, which wants to preserve U.S. jobs.

And addition of a relatively high-volume b-segment car won't hurt when the 2012-16 Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations kick in.

What about the c-segment car to be built in the same factory? GM already has committed its Chevy Vega/Cavalier/Cobalt factory in Lordstown, Ohio, to production of the 2011 Chevy Cruze. And Volt is slated for Hamtramck, Michigan. That leaves the 2012 Chevy Orlando MPV and a 2012 Buick compact (go ahead, call it "Skylark"), both to be built on the same platform as the Cruze. Either is likely, although side-by-side production with the Cruze in Lordstown would make more sense for the Buick.

From Jalopnik.com
2011 Chevy Viva To Breath [sic] Life Into GM Compact Segment

Nearly Ex-Product VP for GM Bob Lutz has revealed plans for the American-built 2011 Chevy Viva, a replacement for the Korean-built Aveo, which will offset CAFE requirements while being a car Americans might actually buy.

Yes, yes, GM filed for bankruptcy this morning, but such nonsense doesn't stop the march of new product, and competitive product is the only way GM is going to get out of the hole they've dug for themselves. The 2011 Chevy Viva hopes to erase the memory of years, and years, and years of truly terrible compact cars from GM (Geo Metro, Pontiac Lemans, Chevy Vega...) with a platform flexible enough to be built anywhere in GM's shrinking empire and stylish enough to be more than an also-ran. Lutz claims the new car will take on the B-car segment, and the Ford Fiesta in particular, with a level of competency rarely seen from GM in this segment. We expect to see the car get a version of the Chevy Cruze's 1.4 liter inline-four, though probably turbo-free like the version in the Chevy Volt. The car will be built in a reawakened GM plant somewhere in US, and was probably the car intended for Chinese assembly, but brought back as part of negotiations for UAW concessions.

I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! 112_0905_01z+2011_chevrolet_aveo+front_three_quarter_view
I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! 112_0905_05z+2011_chevrolet_aveo+side
I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! 112_0905_03z+2011_chevrolet_aveo+rear_three_quarter_view
I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! 112_0905_04z+2011_chevrolet_aveo+rear
I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! 112_0905_02z+2011_chevrolet_aveo+interior
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD! Empty Re: I say the Aveo is DEEEEAAAD!

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Its still a South Korean designed car with maybe some Opel oversight. You know kind of like a LeMans

I ain't holdin' my breathe, an aveo by a different name is still a pile of garbage.

1300ZUK
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:33 pm

GM is just really really screwed. Even if that car is incredible, the fact that it has to go up against the good will that cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and even the Ford Focus have basically condemns it from the get go. Unless they can undercut that cometition on price so significantly that people are willing to take the risk.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 pm

i'll never buy anything made by GM under any circumstances, at this point. fuck them. i pay fucking taxes to bail out a shitty automaker, and the government can't even fucking loan me money to get a fucking degree?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK them. i'll fucking walk.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:44 pm

thewalrus wrote:GM is just really really screwed. Even if that car is incredible, the fact that it has to go up against the good will that cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and even the Ford Focus have basically condemns it from the get go. Unless they can undercut that cometition on price so significantly that people are willing to take the risk.

not necessarily, assuming everything goes as plan, Toyota could be sort of fucked and if Honda is Smart, I almost see them getting out of the strictly IC/Gas engine domain and focusing on small alternative energy cars.

Versa really isn't that nice, Fit isn't what it was when it first hit the states, yaris is about as exciting as vanilla ice cream (along with the rest of Toyota's line up)

I think/hope customers go back to the domestics if everything works out perfectly and the upcoming cars are hits and not misses.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:25 pm

I know the article says it's not the Beat, but damn if the car doesn't look like the Beat concept...the taillights are nearly identical, as is the side sculpting, and the dash and instrument cluster looks like a production-fied Beat interior.

It's going to have to be a home run to impress me more than the new Ford Fiesta, though. If I was getting a small car, that would be the one.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 am

1300ZUK wrote:
thewalrus wrote:GM is just really really screwed. Even if that car is incredible, the fact that it has to go up against the good will that cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and even the Ford Focus have basically condemns it from the get go. Unless they can undercut that cometition on price so significantly that people are willing to take the risk.

not necessarily, assuming everything goes as plan, Toyota could be sort of fucked and if Honda is Smart, I almost see them getting out of the strictly IC/Gas engine domain and focusing on small alternative energy cars.

Versa really isn't that nice, Fit isn't what it was when it first hit the states, yaris is about as exciting as vanilla ice cream (along with the rest of Toyota's line up)

I think/hope customers go back to the domestics if everything works out perfectly and the upcoming cars are hits and not misses.

I don't think Toyota's fucked, but I think they're a little too big right now. I think that some cars don't really make sense in their line up - I think that the FJ Cruiser could probably be cut. Especially if gas prices keep rising. I think that the Venza is a little pointless too. Too big, and I'm not sure why they couldn't have just made a Camry wagon and left it at that. The Corolla desperately needs a full redesign to compete against the new Civic. That said the Camry / Avalon / Sienna / RAV / Prius / Matrix line up is pretty decent. And with GM and Chrysler on the blocks they might be able to win over some of the truck guys to the Tundra / Tacoma. I agree though about Honda. That would be a good route for them to go, and I think they have the capacity to do it well. Light weight, ultra high efficiency, cutting edge technology sort of stuff. Maybe not very powerful or very luxurious though. But big on efficiency, mileage, hybrid tech, alternative fuels, etc.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 am

I feel like pricepoints at all automakers got artificially high with the availability of cheap money being loaned to people. Hopefully we start seeing more reasonably priced cars, with more options, competing with eachother. It's crazy how much the price of compacts and subcompacts jumped. I shouldn't be able to option out a $24,000 civic.
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 am

toyota is far from fucked. they're the ones that are going to toss the last shovel full of dirt on GM.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 pm

1300ZUK wrote:Its still a South Korean designed car with maybe some Opel oversight. You know kind of like a LeMans

I ain't holdin' my breathe, an aveo by a different name is still a pile of garbage.
US built. Who said it was South Korean designed? More importantly, who cares, as long as it's been engineered and built in the US (it has, and it will) The Camaro was designed by a South Korean, too, but it's still an American car. This is hardly an Aveo-redux.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down