Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

+12
Swerve
1300ZUK
JaysonAych
big_jesus
xtine
Les_Vipers_rule
Dodge
Pennzoil GT-R
Olds
thewalrus
Talon
milleniahead
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

Post by Turbojett Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:40 pm

sounds like he needs a tranny swap next.
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

Post by Dodge Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:45 pm

I swaped but stayed with ka, was built for an scca spec car so it has the allowed cam swap, smooth wall intake and higher cc injectors, as well as a complete emmissions system removal (its all welded shut and smoothed out). was dynoed at 185hp/195 ft/lb in his car, probably a little less in mine since its not a completly open exhaust but probably not far off.

Problem being he kept his ecu tune for future use, so I have to do a manual idle via throttle stop untill I save up enough dough to have a custom ecu made.

Overall I couldn't be happier with its performance for a N/A engine. Transmission however is fucked, big time haha it grinds every time i let the clutch out, but i'm going to run it till its dead I have two waiting to replace it :whipitgood:

Could I have gone for more with a KAT setup or SR? probably, but not for as cheap and not for as efficient. I'm still averaging 30mpg, and I don't fear hot days.

But damn it was fun to do :talon2:

p.s. this is what happens when you dont read my woefull build threads :nextgencry:
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:57 pm

nice man.. Lucky u could get away with the emissions bs.. u should combine the best parts of the 2 transmissions in one, then beef up the weakest parts with aftermarket parts.

I want to do a 3L swap in mine but its still a ways out there heh. Since urs is an scca spec build wheres the sweet spot when ya get going?
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:14 pm

FROM SHIFTERS.CA, Manual Shift training Ltd.

Q: Should I downshift when I stop my car?

A: No.

In the old days of four-wheel drum brakes, cars were difficult to stop, so downshifting while braking was common to help brake and equalize the load to all wheels. Gearing down also helped reduce “brake fading.”

Today’s braking technology is highly advanced. Many vehicles have anti-lock systems with well-ventilated discs on all four wheels that require no assistance from the powertrain.

Braking causes your vehicle’s weight to shift forward, making it front-end heavy. As a result your front wheels may be doing 60% - 70% of the braking—almost twice as much as the rear wheels! Since most of today’s vehicles are front-wheel-drive, downshifting will distort the braking balance by shifting even more weight to the front.

CAUTION: Using gears instead of the brakes to slow your vehicle may cause severe damage to your powertrain. Braking with brakes is not only more effective, it’s a lot smarter…and cheaper!

To add, the best and safest way to decelerate to a stop in a manual transmission car is as I have said here earlier.

Ease off the gas, ease on the brakes (keeping the car in the current gear) as the revs fall to just above idle speed engage your clutch until you stop. To take your car out of gear either by depressing the clutch as you brake and just whistle on down the road to a stop coasting in false neutral or to actually put your shift lever into neutral as you coast from speed to a stop puts more stress on your brakes for one and you have NO CONTROL over your drivetrain if some unforeseen event or emergency came about such as the need to actually have to speed up to avoid an impact from behind, to be able to move safely to the side while keeping control over your drive wheels which reduces any chance of a spin or to avoid getting into a spin on say a slippery road. You are in most jurisdictions also breaking the law by coasting in false neutral (clutch pedal engaged at speed) or in full neutral (gear shift set in neutral when at speed) as you coast to a stop under braking.

As Wally noted the advantage to down shifting as you stop is one of merit only if the road you are on and stopping on is excessively slippery and you want to ease your speed down without heavy use of the brakes in order to keep any lock up and spin to a minimum..
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:46 pm

sorry, les, i didn't catch that the first 5 times you posted it. can you repost those instructions, please?
Olds
Olds
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Olds wrote:sorry, les, i didn't catch that the first 5 times you posted it. can you repost those instructions, please?

I re-posted with supporting advice from Shifters.ca because some here are wrong and are giving potentially dangerous advice as such.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 pm

yeah but could you do it again?

i missed it

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:FROM SHIFTERS.CA, Manual Shift training Ltd.

Braking causes your vehicle’s weight to shift forward, making it front-end heavy. As a result your front wheels may be doing 60% - 70% of the braking—almost twice as much as the rear wheels!

Math is not Shifter.ca's strong suit.

Anyway, there's a lot to be said for being in the right gear at the right time. I don't necessarily change to redline in each lower gear - just for the pedal to have an effect should I need to use it.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 pm

milleniahead wrote:nice man.. Lucky u could get away with the emissions bs.. u should combine the best parts of the 2 transmissions in one, then beef up the weakest parts with aftermarket parts.

I want to do a 3L swap in mine but its still a ways out there heh. Since urs is an scca spec build wheres the sweet spot when ya get going?

with the comp cams it pulls hardest between 3500-4500 a pretty average curve for a KA, pulls harder down low than an SR then comes up short on top. :jay:
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Swerve wrote:

Braking causes your vehicle’s weight to shift forward, making it front-end heavy. As a result your front wheels may be doing 60% - 70% of the braking—almost twice as much as the rear wheels!

Well not really.

If the fronts are doing 60, they're doing 1.5 times the 40 of the rear. If 70, it's 2.3 times 30.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 am

911 wrote:
Swerve wrote:

Well not really.

If the fronts are doing 60, they're doing 1.5 times the 40 of the rear. If 70, it's 2.3 times 30.

What do you mean "well not really". Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Bear in mind that only a paying member of Shifter.ca would be crazy enough to defend the site at this point.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:17 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Olds wrote:sorry, les, i didn't catch that the first 5 times you posted it. can you repost those instructions, please?

I re-posted with supporting advice from Shifters.ca because some here are wrong and are giving potentially dangerous advice as such.

and yet still nobody cares about what you say.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:23 am

Talon wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
Talon wrote:I'd say definitely don't go thorugh all the gears when you slow down. Why put wear on your clutch and trans when brakes are so cheap? That's what they're designed to do... I don't understand downshifting to every gear just to stop at a light.

If I am in 4th and coming up to a red light, I just slow down until the rpms reach about idling speed and push the clutch in then and put the car in neutral.

if you downshift properly, you won't even wear the gears or synchros, actually. not more than decent acceleration.

If you want to throw a perfect heal/ toe every time you come to a stop light or stop sign. How many people can do that well? I could see doing it once, but through every gear is unnecessary.

or, you can just double clutch instead of doing a heel-toe... which is really easy to do. so yeah...
also, i wouldn't go through all of the gears.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am

hahaha wally, i tip my hat to you, sir. you're hilarious.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 am

Swerve wrote:
911 wrote:
Swerve wrote:

Well not really.

What do you mean "well not really". Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Bear in mind that only a paying member of Shifter.ca would be crazy enough to defend the site at this point.

Er...disagreeing with your sarcastic conclusion.

I don't give a fuck about shifter.ca and only actually read the part that you quoted. But what I wrote is still correct.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 am

Yes, what you wrote is correct. Which is why the "almost twice as much as the rear wheels" is such a stupid way to summarise.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by zdc_LarryRX Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:56 pm

I leave mine in (D) Woe
zdc_LarryRX
zdc_LarryRX
My mind is littered with anguish, much like the board is littered with my posts.
My mind is littered with anguish, much like the board is littered with my posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum