Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

+12
Swerve
1300ZUK
JaysonAych
big_jesus
xtine
Les_Vipers_rule
Dodge
Pennzoil GT-R
Olds
thewalrus
Talon
milleniahead
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway? Empty Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

Post by milleniahead Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:34 am

I mean like if im just cruising around and I go from 1st to 3rd to 5th does that help with mpg and wear on the transmission?

or does it put extra stress on the trans? I say this cause sometimes i dont feel like going thru all the gears. Also when you guys come to a stop do u go 5-4-3-2-1 or 5-3 stop or whatever combo?

whatever gear im in when i come to a stop I usually always just go into 3rd to slow me down enough then I just apply the brakes. people told me I should go thru all the gears when i stop but i find that way too much of a hassle sometimes.. ur thoughts?
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway? Empty Re: Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm

I'd say definitely don't go thorugh all the gears when you slow down. Why put wear on your clutch and trans when brakes are so cheap? That's what they're designed to do... I don't understand downshifting to every gear just to stop at a light.

If I am in 4th and coming up to a red light, I just slow down until the rpms reach about idling speed and push the clutch in then and put the car in neutral.
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway? Empty Re: Does Skipping gears benefit u in anyway?

Post by thewalrus Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Talon wrote:I'd say definitely don't go thorugh all the gears when you slow down. Why put wear on your clutch and trans when brakes are so cheap? That's what they're designed to do... I don't understand downshifting to every gear just to stop at a light.

If I am in 4th and coming up to a red light, I just slow down until the rpms reach about idling speed and push the clutch in then and put the car in neutral.

The only time I downshift like that when stopping is if I'm trying to stop on really icy roads. Then it slows you down while minimizing your chances of skidding. In regular situations though, I don't go through the gears at all when braking.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:57 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Talon wrote:I'd say definitely don't go thorugh all the gears when you slow down. Why put wear on your clutch and trans when brakes are so cheap? That's what they're designed to do... I don't understand downshifting to every gear just to stop at a light.

The only time I downshift like that when stopping is if I'm trying to stop on really icy roads. Then it slows you down while minimizing your chances of skidding. In regular situations though, I don't go through the gears at all when braking.

I concur in that instance.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Whoever says go through all the gears is a fucking retard. There's no need to use your engine/transmission to slow you down other than being a douche and revving the shit out of your car to sound cool.

I never use my trans to brake - total wear and tear and waste of money. I'll just put it into neutral no matter what gear I'm in and use the brakes to slow down.

You can actually save the wear on your clutch and shift out of gear into neutral without using your clutch pedal at all - just tap the gas lightly and lift out of gear. I don't do it to save wear, but just cos I'm lazy.

As for upshifting - sometimes I'll go from 2nd to 4th without going to third - there's no extra wear as the trans is synchronized. It probably reduces wear because that's one less in-and-out motion with the clutch pedal and throwout bearing. You just have to make sure to not shift up when your revs are too low, or else your lug the engine which is no good.

In short, rowing through all the gear to slow down is completely asinine.
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:36 pm

i rarely row down the gears. its only useful when racing and you need to use all available stopping power and keep yourself in the right gear

ill quite often skip from 3rd into 5th or 6th

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Only time i ever downshift is if im just trying to back up a light (slow down enough so I don't have to stop) otherwise I just push it out of gear and coast/brake.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:51 pm

koo.. A lot of people are like yea man I go thru all gears when i stop and blah blah blah.. I didnt see a reason why, but I always went into 3rd just to slow down unless of course im already in 3rd/2nd/1st. I like being in third cause of the way I drive. It just makes it easier to take off if the light is about to change.

I have OCD when it comes to timing lights. I put it in 3rd and just cruise to the red light, if my speed drops too much then i'll just put it in neutral and brake.

I skip gears when upshifting when im bored/lazy. I heard its better for MPG too but meh.. The first time I ever tried to row thru the gears coming to a stop, i told myself WTF, it takes too damn long to do all this. I dont feel like its worth it unless you know the light is a long one, or u see it like 100 miles in advance and dont want to touch ur brakes.
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 pm

You nailed it, it is silly to downshift as you come to a stop. Like you said stopping is what brakes are for. Slow down, depress the clutch just above idle speed and move the shifter back into 1st. Downshifting is only needed in situations where you slow down but do not come to a stop so that you do not bog your engine down.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 pm

thewalrus wrote:

On icy roads that technique has merits and is a wise thing to do and keep control over your car as you come to a stop.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

You nailed it, it is silly to downshift as you come to a stop. Like you said stopping is what brakes are for. Slow down, depress the clutch just above idle speed and move the shifter back into 1st. Downshifting is only needed in situations where you slow down but do not come to a stop so that you do not bog your engine down.

and still wear your clutch and gearbox out....

pop it in neutral and let it roll

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by xtine Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:15 pm

milleniahead wrote:I mean like if im just cruising around and I go from 1st to 3rd to 5th does that help with mpg and wear on the transmission?

or does it put extra stress on the trans? I say this cause sometimes i dont feel like going thru all the gears. Also when you guys come to a stop do u go 5-4-3-2-1 or 5-3 stop or whatever combo?

whatever gear im in when i come to a stop I usually always just go into 3rd to slow me down enough then I just apply the brakes. people told me I should go thru all the gears when i stop but i find that way too much of a hassle sometimes.. ur thoughts?

I was actually just reading this in one of the car magazines. I don't remember which one but it basically said it was fine.
xtine
xtine

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

No, you are not wearing your clutch or gearing out. It ain't slipping as you slow down. Besides it's illegal in many places to have your car drive any appreciable distance and speed in neutral. You don't put it in neutral say going 50-40-30 mph until you stop. You just have to ease the off the gas, ease on your brakes and as the revs drop to say below 1500rpm depress the clutch as you then stop. Wearing out the clutch and gears? My car had to have its clutch finally replaced after 195,000kms.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

No, you are not wearing your clutch or gearing out. It ain't slipping as you slow down. Besides it's illegal in many places to have your car drive any appreciable distance and speed in neutral. You don't put it in neutral say going 50-40-30 mph until you stop. You just have to ease the off the gas, ease on your brakes and as the revs drop to say below 1500rpm depress the clutch as you then stop. Wearing out the clutch and gears? My car had to have its clutch finally replaced after 195,000kms.

its not the clutch plates that wear doing that. its the pins or whatever they are that push the clutch down

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

its not the clutch plates that wear doing that. its the pins or whatever they are that push the clutch down

That is just nuts.

If they were that weak the load of accelerating would be killing them early. The clutch and its parts are designed for long term use under normal driving. As I said I had to replace my car's clutch only after 195,000 kms. That pretty good and likely no worse than doing the DANGEROUS way of stopping you advocate here. I ask and even implore others to never ever declutch and go neutral at city road or higher speeds to stop under braking. All one has to do is again just ease off the gas and about 1500 rpm or so depress your clutch as you stop. You need the engine and drive train hooked up and under your control, for added safety.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:02 pm

if you downshift properly, you won't even wear the gears or synchros, actually. not more than decent acceleration.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

throwout bearing. when your car isn't moving, it should not be in gear, and when you're not in gear, you should not have the clutch in.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:07 pm

thewalrus wrote:

+1. In good conditions, if you're going to slow down to a certain speed, why put your arm and the transmission through all of the work of going back through each gear? Usually when coming up to a light, you can put it in neutral because you know you're going to stop, or gauge how slow you're going to be going when you finally let off the brake and can keep it in neutral before putting it into the appropriate gear for the new speed.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:26 pm

you don't go through each gear. you go into like 2nd and brake from there. downshift right, though--rev match or you'll tear up your synchros. your drivetrain is built to handle that shit--i wouldn't worry about it or the gears, but the synchros will get torn up.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

If they were that weak the load of accelerating would be killing them early. The clutch and its parts are designed for long term use under normal driving. As I said I had to replace my car's clutch only after 195,000 kms. That pretty good and likely no worse than doing the DANGEROUS way of stopping you advocate here. I ask and even implore others to never ever declutch and go neutral at city road or higher speeds to stop under braking. All one has to do is again just ease off the gas and about 1500 rpm or so depress your clutch as you stop. You need the engine and drive train hooked up and under your control, for added safety.

big j already answered that its the throwout bearing. i didnt know the name of it, you didnt know it existed. on that basis i seriously doubt your knowledge of anything to do with transmissions

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I FUCKING SAID IT WAS THE THROWOUT BEARING FIRST FUCK BIG J
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:22 pm

meh, i use every fucking gear i can when accelerating, but i have ~60 Hp in a perfect world.

Braking i usually slow up enough and then throw it into 2nd and idle or whatever, to avoid making a complete stop. Yes this can be annoying to people around you thats why i only do it if i don't like the person behind me or traffic permits.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:59 pm

big_jesus wrote:

if you downshift properly, you won't even wear the gears or synchros, actually. not more than decent acceleration.

If you want to throw a perfect heal/ toe every time you come to a stop light or stop sign. How many people can do that well? I could see doing it once, but through every gear is unnecessary.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:01 pm

My posts keep disappearing. Which is probably for the best, because I'm the one douchebag here who works through all the gears most of the time.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm

big_jesus wrote:

You needlessly use the clutch for no reason even if you are perfect in hitting the downshifts right. It is silly to downshift as you come to a stop.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

big j already answered that its the throwout bearing. i didnt know the name of it, you didnt know it existed. on that basis i seriously doubt your knowledge of anything to do with transmissions

You use the throw out gear when ever you engage and disengage the clutch. Your stupidity of declutching when at road speed as you then brake to be in a false neutral is STUPID and ILLEGAL in many places. BTW my brother-in-law's dad is a 28 year mechanic.

The best way to come to a stop safely in a manual is to and one more time for others here who want to treat their cars well is ease off the gas, apply the brake properly and once the revs drop to about 1500 or so rpm press your clutch peddle. Once stopped just place your shifter into 1st gear. BRAKES are designed to stop cars not clutches and gearboxes.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

You use the throw out gear when ever you engage and disengage the clutch. Your stupidity of declutching when at road speed as you then brake to be in a false neutral is STUPID and ILLEGAL in many places. BTW my brother-in-law's dad is a 28 year mechanic.

The best way to come to a stop safely in a manual is to and one more time for others here who want to treat their cars well is ease off the gas, apply the brake properly and once the revs drop to about 1500 or so rpm press your clutch peddle. Once stopped just place your shifter into 1st gear. BRAKES are designed to stop cars not clutches and gearboxes.

Only if you drive a crappy domestic car with crappy gearboxes and clutches.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:38 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

Hey even if you do not do it as you noted earlier you do not use your clutch and gearbox to stop except on icy roads, by all means pop your clutch all the time while you downshift to come to as stop and see how long your rice wagon's clutch/trannie survives as opposed to driving and using the clutch/trannie normally.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

Hey even if you do not do it as you noted earlier you do not use your clutch and gearbox to stop except on icy roads, by all means pop your clutch all the time while you downshift to come to as stop and see how long your rice wagon's clutch/trannie survives as opposed to driving and using the clutch/trannie normally.

Please don't refer to my car as a "rice wagon". That's an obvious racial slur aimed at the Japanese people and their culture. It speaks very low of you that you would find it funny, or at all fitting, to make such an obviously hateful generalization.

Also, I don't drive a wagon.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

Please don't refer to my car as a "rice wagon". That's an obvious racial slur aimed at the Japanese people and their culture. It speaks very low of you that you would find it funny, or at all fitting, to make such an obviously hateful generalization.

:lol: Look who's talking about insult and slurs, you mix calling domestic cars crap even though you've never owned any along with your using aids for added insult and yet you try to lecture me on calling your Honda a rice wagon. PLEASE! But again why do you hate America and aids victims so much?
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

:lol: Look who's talking about insult and slurs, you mix calling domestic cars crap even though you've never owned any along with your using aids for added insult and yet you try to lecture me on calling your Honda a rice wagon. PLEASE! But again why do you hate America and aids victims so much?

Domestic cars aren't a race Les. Unlike the Japanese people who you've callously insulted YET AGAIN.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

This is more or less what I do (as I already stated). If I am in 4th gear going 40, I will just push the brakes in until the car slows enough where the revs are ~ idle speeds, so maybe 10ish in 4th, put the clutch in and put the car in neutral. I leave it in neutral until the light turns before putting it in 1st. If the light happens to turn green before having to stop, only then will I downshift & rev match into the appropriate gear.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

Domestic cars aren't a race Les. Unlike the Japanese people who you've callously insulted YET AGAIN.

But you insult Americans and Canadians who build domestic cars and that is based on ignorance.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 am

I downshift sometimes, just as force of habit because it's what i was taught to do, but lately, I've been finding myself only going down to 3rd (from 4th or 5th) before I get lazy and pop it out of gear and coast it with the brakes.
Skipping a gear every so often under normal accel is supposed to help with fuel economy as long as the engine doesn't bog down, but I have tried shifting from 3rd to 5th and I never noticed any measurable difference.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:49 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

well my next door neighbour's brother's dog's cousin is a 29 year mechanic

ps my dad has been selling, working on and racing cars since before I was born. So have most of his friends. I'm going to bet they know just as much if not much more than your uncle's cat or whoever the hell it was

Pennzoil GT-R

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 am

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:

That is just nuts.

But you insult Americans and Canadians who build domestic cars and that is based on ignorance.
The ironing is delicious.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 pm

my dads deceased dads pet rocks son named junior the 3rd from wisconsin who won the kentucky derby, who rode a horse who's dad was part transformer car knows more than all u.

Needless to say, since all ya'll cars are still in one piece I assume what ya'll do works and therefore all u stfu.

yay.
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:30 pm

I wouldn't say that, my trans's main bearing wont spin any longer. Then again it was used for racing applicatoin where they use the trans as a main brake.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:33 pm

"uh, oh. corner coming, just jam it into first."
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 pm

dodge u did an engine swap, correct?

tuned? numbers?
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum