Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volvo

+2
JaysonAych
Swerve
6 posters

Go down

Volvo: better 20 years ago or today?

Volvo Vote_lcap11%Volvo Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Volvo Vote_lcap44%Volvo Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Volvo Vote_lcap44%Volvo Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 9

Volvo Empty Volvo

Post by Swerve Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Back in 1990, Volvos seemed to have the accountant market sewn up. They were boxy and distinctive and basically the cheaper alternative to a Mercedes.

Today rivals such as Audi have started stealing that market. Volvo sedans seem to be basically dead, but the XCs are hugely popular and are the modern evolution of the boxy old wagons.

How does modern Volvo compare to the old Volvo everyone loves to love/hate?

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Volvo Empty Re: Volvo

Post by JaysonAych Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Cheap enough, I'd buy an old used Volvo wagon because they're so uncool that they're cool.

But if I warped back to 1990 and wanted to buy an upmarket car, I would not have looked at Volvo at all. They never appealed to me at the time those models were actually new. Volvo nowadays, however, makes some good-looking cars. I used to see this black S60 in the company lot with a cream-colored leather interior that looked just stunning.

I'm not sure I'd actually buy one over an Audi or a BMW, but I'd definitely give it consideration.

Last edited by JaysonAych on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:23 pm

I like old school Volvo myself. P1800 please.

Volvo 021
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:54 am

Their hatchbacks are pretty well received here, as is the V70 estate or whatever its called now. I've liked them ever since my dad came home with an 850R about 15 years ago.

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:18 am

new volvos suck.
ascona
ascona
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 am

SBF wrote:I like old school Volvo myself. P1800 please.

Volvo 021

I was thinking of including classic Volvo as an option. The P1800 was good looking and there's a bit of rally heritage...plus I was watching Targa Tasmania 2010 highlights at the same time as creating this poll and an old Volvo cleaned up the classic category on handicap.

But really, this poll is about whether or not Volvo has taken a step back or forward in the last couple of decades. I think they've gone forward - Pennz reminded me of the C30 (which my girlfriend loves - couldn't say that about the old 360GLT) and I have considered an XC70 as a left field second car. I live in a suburb with a few private schools and XC90s seem to outnumber MLs and X5s. Even though they still make wagons (the V50 is quite good looking), I think the XC90 is the real modern equivalent of your friend's mum's 940 Estate from back in the day.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:41 pm

SBF wrote:I like old school Volvo myself. P1800 please.

Volvo 021
really the only Volvo I've ever loved. otherwise I'm completely apathetic to the brand.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down