Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer? Empty Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer?

Post by JaysonAych Sun May 30, 2010 12:40 am

Atmospherically, I haven't played a survival horror game that sucks you in like this since the original Silent Hill. Not saying it's as good, but it hasn't been since then that I felt this immersed.

Gameplay-wise, it can be really tedious and does some stupid shit, and tends to suck you right back out. Like in one episode you have a bunch of weapons, and then after a cutscene where you're transported across town 10 minutes later in game time, you no longer have your weapons anymore. There's so far not enough variety in the environments.

Think I'm getting close to the end, and if that's the case, it's also a bit short and seems like it's wrapping shit up pretty quickly. But it could be waiting to throw me a huge curveball. I hope it is, anyway.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer? Empty Re: Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer?

Post by Honor Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 am

I am waiting to get it from GameFly.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer? Empty Re: Anyone else playing Ford Motor Company's Alan Wake: A Verizon Game Brought to You by Energizer?

Post by SBF Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

I do want to play this game.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

wat?
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 pm

So is there alot of Ford Vehicles in this game? I thought I saw an 1st gen Ford Explorer in the preview.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:55 am

SBF wrote:So is there alot of Ford Vehicles in this game? I thought I saw an 1st gen Ford Explorer in the preview.

You actually don't drive too many of them. The initial cutscenes feature Alan with a Lincoln MKT. At one point you can drive a Ford Super Duty, and another MKT, but a lot of the vehicles you'll end up driving are actually non-licensed cars (including one that's obviously an analogue of an early '70s Ford truck, but for some reason, not licensed) and the scenery prominently features Fusions, Fiestas, Mariners, etc.

And there's an achievement you can get by watching a fucking Ford commercial.

I don't mind product placement in a game if it's done well and feels natural, like billboards for auto parts in Forza. It was not done well here.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 am

what are we talking bout? link?
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:19 am

ascona wrote:what are we talking bout? link?

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/743/743608.html
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:55 pm

i am very early in the game but so far it seems like it's a bit rushed and unpolished. the voice acting kinda sucks and doesnt sound very convincing either.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:35 pm

The voice acting is okay, I think. Certainly not A+, but I've heard much worse. I was shocked at how bad the lip synching was. They were heavily playing up how awesome the facial animations were leading up to release, and half the time the mouth just opens and stays open in the same position during entire sentences.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm

i am playing this now and this guy can't jog for more than 50 feet or so without needing to slow and catch his breath. what an out-of-shape turd.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Says the out of shape turd.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 am

Hey I'm not that out of shape now. I walk 2 miles a day 6 days a week. And even when I was close to 400lbs I'd still leave Alan Wake in the dust. He's pathetic.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 am

Yahtzee's review of the game perfectly encapsulated it (a mild plot point spoiler or two): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1756-Alan-Wake
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 am

that guy rules
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:28 am

ok so alan wake can push a massive steel and wood mine cart with rusty wheels attached to rusty axles that havent moved in 40 years filled with hundreds of pounds of debris like it's a walk in the park but he can't jog more than 50 feet without doubling over and gasping for breath..
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

this game is pretty easy, even on nightmare difficulty. there are a couple tricky parts but never died on any one part more than a few times.

it does get pretty annoying how it zooms in/goes to slow mo every time you encounter an enemy though. ok yeah maybe good for the first time you encounter one in the game, but after that it just gets old and annoying since it wastes time and can disorient you since the camera changes angles. just play enemy music and have them make sounds, that's all the warning i need.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down