Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember that lost tribe?

+6
TheWoerus
TheLightedPath
ascona
dunnas
sonicmæse
xtine
10 posters

Go down

Remember that lost tribe? Empty Remember that lost tribe?

Post by xtine Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:27 pm

JK!

Remember that lost tribe? 0610776900xi7

THE man behind photos of warriors from an "undiscovered" Amazon tribe that were beamed around the world has admitted it was a publicity stunt aimed at raising awareness of logging.

Indigenous tribes expert, José Carlos Meirelles, said the tribe had been known of since 1910, and had been photographed to prove that they still existed in areas endangered by logging, The Guardian reported.

Mr Meirelles, who was working for Funai, the Brazilian Indian Protection Agency dedicated to finding remote tribes and protecting them, said he found the group, recorded how they lived, and planned the publicity to protect them from losing their habitat.

Mr Meirelles, 61, said the "chance encounter" that produced the famous photographs was no accident.

"When we think we might have found an isolated tribe, a sertanista (tribe expert) like me walks in the forest for two or three years to gather evidence and we mark it in our (global positioning system)," he told al-Jazeera.

"We then map the territory the Indians occupy and we draw that protected territory without making contact with them. And finally we set up a small outpost where we can monitor their protection."

He said the Brazilian state of Acre offered him the use of an aircraft for three days.

"I had years of GPS co-ordinates," he said.

"A friend of mine sent me some Google Earth co-ordinates and maps that showed a strange clearing in the middle of the forest and asked me what that was.

"I saw the co-ordinates and realised that it was close to the area I had been exploring with my son – so I needed to fly over it."

Mr Meirelles said he he flew a 150km-radius route over the border region with Peru and saw huts that belonged to isolated tribes. But he did not see people.

"When the women hear the plane above, they run into the forest, thinking it's a big bird," he said.

"This is such a remote area, planes don't fly over it."

On the third day , Mr Meirelles spotted a large community.

"When I saw them painted red, I was satisfied, I was happy," he said.

"Because painted red means they are ready for war, which to me says they are happy and healthy defending their territory."

Survival International, the organisation that released the pictures along with Funai, conceded yesterday that Funai had known about the nomadic tribe for around two decades.

It defended the disturbance of the tribe saying the international media attention surrounging the images had forced Peru to re-examine its logging policy in the border area where the tribe lives.
xtine
xtine
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Remember that lost tribe? Empty Re: Remember that lost tribe?

Post by sonicmæse Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:23 pm

thats really not that big of a deal to me. theyre still humans with no outside world contact

sonicmæse
Drinking a refreshing glass of my tears

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm sure this somehow vindicates part of whatever I said in my drunken ramblings in the original thread. :dunnas:
dunnas
dunnas
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 am

they should take them ouit of there, and go to las vegas, or california. . . . and film it.
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLightedPath Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 am

sonicmæse wrote:thats really not that big of a deal to me. theyre still humans with no outside world
contact

Yeah same here the basic idea of the thing is still the same to me i could care less if they were known of before cause until now i didn't know. :durr:
TheLightedPath
TheLightedPath
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 pm

it's like saying "you can't wear reebok, cause it's killing vietnamese kids"

who gives a shit bout vietnamese kids? i'm all over here in non-vietnam.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 pm

i don't care for reeboks, though
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWoerus Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:48 pm

sonicmæse wrote:thats really not that big of a deal to me. theyre still humans with no outside world contact

Yeah. I mean if it turned out they were just a bunch of painted up, out of work, actors from Fullerton I might have been disappointed. As it is, it's still really cool.
TheWoerus
TheWoerus

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:58 pm

i'd like to join that tribe. Woe
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Aristotle wrote:i'd like to join that tribe. Woe

let's do it
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:15 am

The fact remains Dunnas was right and you were all wrong...depending on what was actually said in that original thread.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by milleniahead Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:04 am

i see we have a fan club...
milleniahead
milleniahead
is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:05 pm

ContourSvtHead wrote:i see we have a fan club...

we should take it to south korea.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down