Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues

+13
Tailhappy
JaysonAych
Olds
VS
big_jesus
Bluntman
Turbojett
SBF
1300ZUK
Spinal
Aristotle
Honor
Talon
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues Empty Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues

Post by Talon Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Ok, try and stick with me.

My dad called and told me his car is having water temp issues (it's an 04 Golf, 1.8 NA). When he's on the freeway going 60 mph, the water temp sits about 200*, but as soon as he tries to go above 60 he can actually watch the water temp gauge start climbing; it gets to 230 within 10-20 seconds. So, he slows back down to 60 and it returns to ~ 200*.

So, he replaced the thermostat thinking it was stuck closed or something. Didn't help, same thing. Now here's the kicker that really confuses me... say at 60 mph in 5th gear the car is at 3,000 rpm and at 70 it's at 4,000 rpm, which is when the temps start rising. I suggested that if he is on a city street, leave the car in a lower gear and rev it out to see what happens. So, he leaves it in 3rd doing 4,500 rpms for a good minute and the water temps stays at 190*! That contradicts everything I can think of. At a higher rpm, and slower speed, it doesn't overheat. The water pump is belt driven at higher rpms and the radiator is getting less air, but it stays cooler?! Why is it overheating in 5th gear at 4,000 but not 3rd at 4,500?

I mentioned to pop the radiator cap while the car is idling to see if any air bubbles are coming through,which would point to a blown head-gasket, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

I am at a loss...
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues Empty Re: Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues

Post by Honor Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 pm

See, the problem with the car is that it's a Volkswagen. Tell him to get a Honda or Toyota, or if he wants to stay German to get a BMW or egads! a Porsche, and it will all sort out nicely.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues Empty Re: Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues

Post by Honor Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Seriously though, if I were you I would post on a VW forum. Maybe it's a common thing.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 am

there's some equation involving the combustion temp, based on the amount of gas/oxygen burned, per rpm relative to the speed of the car, due to the drag. low speed/high rpm still burns a lot less gas than high speed/low rpm.

i only vaguely remember an argument about this on c&d years ago, but i bet his water pump is fucked.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinal Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:39 am

Is he noticing anything in the overflow tank?

Maybe it is just a bad temp sender?
Spinal
Spinal
And so the woe continues.
And so the woe continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:05 am

Talon wrote:Why is it overheating in 5th gear at 4,000 but not 3rd at 4,500?

that makes sense, in 5th gear there is a heavier load on the engine to keep the car moving, so more heat.

I would guess it to be a water temp sender possibly. Or does he do lots of "muddin" so his radiator is full of mud and dead frogs? Or all the fins fell off the radiator?

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:03 pm

^^ yeah, what they said ^^ :unsure:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 pm

I thought about the sensor, but I would have assumed that the mechanic had checked that before suggesting the thermo to him. Where are those located, anyway?

I thought maybe the fan wasn't kicking on at higher speeds, though I don't see why speed would even be an issue whether the fan kicks on or not.

Only thing he said was the radiator cap was really easy to turn and take off, and probably wasn't sealing the best.

Fffffffffffffuck where's CK when I need him?
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm

well if you think the cap is suspect buy a new one, because if its not pressurizing right it won't run at the right temp either.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Talon wrote:I thought about the sensor, but I would have assumed that the mechanic had checked that before suggesting the thermo to him. Where are those located, anyway?

you trust a mechanic??? :lol:

they are located in several spots, some cars may have more then one. Usually on 4cyl's they run coolant thru them and typically thats where you may find a Water temp sensor. (usually you can test them to see if they work)

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:53 am

I'd say make sure there isn't anything stuck to the front of the radiator like a plastic bag. Also, 4-cyl VWs used to be notorious for getting air pockets in the coolant system so maybe make sure that while the engine is running after its at operating temp the hoses feel firm.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm

check out SBF dropping some science on deez niggas
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Yeah 4 years of tech school helped dat shit
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm

When you find out what it was, be sure to let us know
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Yeah really, we get tired of being left hanging in the wind.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:50 am

I will. He was about to take the car on a 1700 trip. Obviously the car wasn't up for it so he had to take his truck. When he gets back I will find out what it was...
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Does the car smell like its running hot? You know that smell. It smells bitter and putrid, from the coolant and engine oil boiling away.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntman Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 am

Is the fan kicking on? Ok when you start it have the hood up and crank the AC on max, the relay should kick the fan on in about 15 seconds, if it doesn't kick the fan on, the relay is bad. Thats they way it works on alot american cars. But may be the same with vw. If relay is good then the culprit would more than likely be the the temp sending unit that sends the signal to the ecu , which in turn sends the signal through a fuse then the relay. Not the temp sending unit for the guage. Now that is basics. I hope it helps with vw. :cheers:

Oh and if you are not sure about the fan motor/motors, unplug them and jump them to make sure they work.
Bluntman
Bluntman

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm

the fan doesn't HAVE to kick on when you're at speed. guess why.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 pm

*bites lip* ...........because it's union?
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 pm

hahaha! ba-ZING!
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:41 pm

:lol:
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:56 pm

"Made in Germany. You know Germans always make good stuff."

I knew that Sham-Wow guy was full of shit. :smelly:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntman Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 pm

big_jesus wrote:the fan doesn't HAVE to kick on when you're at speed. guess why.
I didn't know if they were coming at all. I was trying to deduce things over the net, which is not always easy without looking at it and testing. :cheers:
Bluntman
Bluntman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Talon wrote:"Made in Germany. You know Germans always make good stuff."

got his ass kicked for it, too

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues 0327092sham1
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:03 am

Aristotle wrote:

Dad's V-Dub is having odd overheating issues 0327092sham1
]

"You're going to love my nuts"
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:58 am

Aristotle wrote:

His parents certainly weren't German.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluntman Tue May 05, 2009 8:41 pm

Well what did it turn out to be?
Bluntman
Bluntman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Tue May 05, 2009 8:56 pm

water pump got slap chopped is my guess.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm

Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 am

Bluntman wrote:Well what did it turn out to be?

Good question... I will ask next time I talk to him.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 am

Talon wrote:

:facepalm:
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Wed May 06, 2009 11:49 am

oh for fuck's sake, talon

GET ON THE STICK! :curses:
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 pm

SBF wrote:
Talon wrote:

:facepalm:

srsly :curses:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Bluntman wrote:
big_jesus wrote:the fan doesn't HAVE to kick on when you're at speed. guess why.
I didn't know if they were coming at all. I was trying to deduce things over the net, which is not always easy without looking at it and testing. :cheers:

sure. also, talon's post is about the car overheating when it's moving.
i mean... that's the point. that's when the problem happens. so...
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Thu May 07, 2009 5:44 am

A girl at work bought a new Golf last week. Already had two electrical gremlins...

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 am

Swerve wrote:A girl at work bought a new Golf last week. Already had two electrical gremlins...

:speedowethimself:
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu May 07, 2009 8:58 am

lulz, I haven't talked to him in a while. :lolplus:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 am

I called him for you assholes... he said it was the water pump. Replaced that and the timing belt. Runs good now.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 am

Benfolio wrote:

That video is awesome :roflmao:
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum