Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F.E.A.R 2

+3
JaysonAych
thewalrus
Talon
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

F.E.A.R 2 Empty F.E.A.R 2

Post by Talon Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Just picked this pig up today. Will hopefully play it tomorrow. I thought the first one was phenomenal. Anyone else getting this (Jay I am looking at you)?

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/812/812587.html

F.E.A.R 2 Hgfd10
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

F.E.A.R 2 Empty Re: F.E.A.R 2

Post by thewalrus Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 pm

I used to play that all the time in elementary school. Before the other guy's started making fun of me and I was forced to spend my recesses watching seagulls.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 pm

I really want to get it...I've spent so much money the past month though and I've still got to renew my plates and will probably have to pay some taxes. Might have to wait a bit before I do, but I'm definitely going to pick this one up.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 pm

JaysonAych wrote:I really want to get it...I've spent so much money the past month though and I've still got to renew my plates and will probably have to pay some taxes. Might have to wait a bit before I do, but I'm definitely going to pick this one up.

Hurry up, son. I need someone to console in when it scares me. :zachsgotgas:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:16 am

too...many...games..
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 am

oh, yeah, i'm picki.....

fuck you guys
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 am

honor man wrote:too...many...games..

No... such... thing...
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:11 am

Put a reserve on Killzone 2 while I was there :talon2:

I think I might pass on SFIV, though. Looks too 'meh' to me. I really like SF2 HD thing I have.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:24 am

Talon wrote:

No... such... thing...

i just mean its hard to keep up with them because they release them so fast, not that im not interested in them
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

honor man wrote:
Talon wrote:

No... such... thing...

i just mean its hard to keep up with them because they release them so fast, not that im not interested in them

I know. Not a bad problem to have. :Ihaveatleastoneblac
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 pm

I played the first and I have to say it was fucking freaky. I can't wait to play this new one. :talon2:
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I've put a couple hours into it and it's really good. It's been pretty freaky thus far, but not so scary. I suspect this will change as the game goes one. There's a lot more Alma, that's for sure.

Game play is very good and the reactions of the enemy soldiers is very cool when they get shot up. So far, so good.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 am

So I beat this last night. It was pretty good; I'd say on par with the first. There are some things it's does better, but some that are worse. The game play is better and the story explains a lot. There is a lot more Alma that's for sure (and towards the end it shows her naked, teenie self and she looks pretty hot). The ending just was very confusing on the events that took place. The 50BMG sniper rifle as well as playing in one of those Mech Walker things were both awesome.

My only disappointment in this game was it really wasn't that scary. It was very freaky, but not as scary. There weren’t any parts that made me jump, where there were three or four in the first that made me jump. Worth a play, especially if you’ve played the first one.

…for anyone who gives a shit.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Talon wrote:My only disappointment in this game was it really wasn't that scary. It was very freaky, but not as scary.

I've heard that too...that they went so overboard on the freaky stuff that it diminished the impact, whereas the first game metered out the creepy bits so sparsely that when they did happen, you weren't quite ready for them.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm

You should rent it, Jay. It explains a lot... like everything. But you're literally in the final movie and it throws a huge wrench in the spokes. I didn't leave this one confused out of my ass like the last one, though.

The only other little thing I can nit-pick, is it's so dark 95% of the game you pretty much have to leave the flashlight on at all times...which gives the Replica Soldiers you position. There were more than a few times I was able to put the cross hairs of the 50 cal between one of their eyes before they saw me. But, again, I think I am nit-picking because it's supposed to be a dark game.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Talon wrote:You should rent it, Jay. It explains a lot... like everything. But you're literally in the final movie and it throws a huge wrench in the spokes. I didn't leave this one confused out of my ass like the last one, though.

The only other little thing I can nit-pick, is it's so dark 95% of the game you pretty much have to leave the flashlight on at all times...which gives the Replica Soldiers you position. There were more than a few times I was able to put the cross hairs of the 50 cal between one of their eyes before they saw me. But, again, I think I am nit-picking because it's supposed to be a dark game.

I was going to rent it this past weekend, but it wasn't in. :classicsad:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 pm

You wanna buy mine for $30? Very Happy
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Maybe in a week...might be able to when pay day comes and goes.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:17 am

JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:07 am

I think he was being a little too skepticle. I happened to love the slow mo' part of the game and wish I could have it on all the time, so fuck him for ragging on that.

One thing he mentioned reminded me that there were some parts of the game where the music would imply that something really scarey just happened, but I wasn't looking in the right direction or something. I still am glad I played it, but I am trading it in today towards Killzone 2.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am

Talon wrote:I think he was being a little too skepticle. I happened to love the slow mo' part of the game and wish I could have it on all the time, so fuck him for ragging on that.

One thing he mentioned reminded me that there were some parts of the game where the music would imply that something really scarey just happened, but I wasn't looking in the right direction or something. I still am glad I played it, but I am trading it in today towards Killzone 2.

I don't get how games like that could not be scary. Fucking resident evil on PS1 scared the shit out of me multiple times in 1996 yet people can't get it right in '09.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 pm

FEAR 1 did it pretty well. There were a couple times I woulbe waking my way through the game going down a hallway towards a door, but the door would be locked so I'd turn around and boom, something is right there. Or going down a ladder and as the screen flips to go down there is something there. Both of those got me because I had just walked past that area and it was empty, but as soon as I turned around :wtfsoliz?:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:51 pm

zombie mode in cod 5 can be pretty scary. nothing like thinking youre safe and alone and then turning around and seeing one three inches from your face.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 pm

:roflmao: this fucking guy hates everything now.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I got almost $40 for trading it in. GLad you're broke, Jay. ^_^
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Aristotle wrote:

Srsly
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 pm

honor man wrote:zombie mode in cod 5 can be pretty scary. nothing like thinking youre safe and alone and then turning around and seeing one three inches from your face.

Yeah, it really is. It's just frustrating that it takes so fucking long to get to the higher levels and if you die you're back to square one. They should at least let you skip over the first 5 or something.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Talon wrote:I got almost $40 for trading it in. GLad you're broke, Jay. ^_^

:smelly: Nice to know SOMEONE is glad...

Seriously, that's cool. I think my brokenness was going to continue to next payday.

Rarely do I get more than 20 bucks for a used game, even if it's a new release full-priced game, so that's awesome that you got that much for it.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Talon wrote:
Aristotle wrote:

Srsly

That's part of the fun!

He's very much against gimmicky things like quick time events and slo-mo. So I was expecting he'd give it some flak :lol:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 am

The slow-mo was awesome. Some of the guys you fight are like little monkeys who scurry around on all fours, and others that appear right in front of you, so slo-mo helped a lot... that and the shotgun.

Plus, even the soldiers would be like, "Ooooooohhhhh, shiiiiiiiiiiittttttt" after you hit the slow-mo button and to see them get shot up was sweet.

PS - Fuck that guy. I'll slo mo bang his mom.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Talon wrote:The slow-mo was awesome. Some of the guys you fight are like little monkeys who scurry around on all fours, and others that appear right in front of you, so slo-mo helped a lot... that and the shotgun.

Plus, even the soldiers would be like, "Ooooooohhhhh, shiiiiiiiiiiittttttt" after you hit the slow-mo button and to see them get shot up was sweet.

PS - Fuck that guy. I'll slo mo bang his mom.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: It's all entertainment. He makes fun of about everything. It's like a Friars Club roast of video games. I don't know of anyone who saw a ZP review and said, "Well I was going to buy it, but this guy said it sucked so I've changed my mind."

Side note: Last night I went to see if FEAR 2 was in but it wasn't so I checked out "The Last Remnant" instead. I go to play it and after about 5 minutes of cutscenes and a battle, it says to insert the second disc. I'm like...uhhh....hmm...there wasn't a second disc. So I took it back today and got a refund, and for giggles checked the games out again and there was one copy of FEAR 2 available. So I'll be putting that in the XBox pretty soon...
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Nice! It was fate you were able to get it. Let me know what you think...!
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:52 am

Well, I've finally gotten above ground in the city, and got to where you take out that first above-ground power armor walker thing. It's interesting how the difficulty shifts so much...I went through all of the hospital and outer area without using a medkit, and after stepping outside, I've used a few in the brief time I've been outside. I'd been keeping the pistol, as it's got some stopping power, but I had to chuck it topside to make room for other things.

I see now what Yahtzee was talking about in terms of missing spooky moments because you were looking elsewhere. I bet I've missed at least a half-dozen already.

Having fun with it so far. I only quit because I was getting tired.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 am

Finished the game tonight...pretty good game, but it didn't have the spooky impact the first one had...the first game teased you with bits and pieces of spooky shit that would take you by surprise when they happened, whereas the second game crammed horror elements in your face. Good room-to-room fights; those were probably better than the original, but there were only a couple of different enemies to fight, and they were used very sparingly. The environments were great...they went to great lengths to put believable fine details in the designs of the rooms and how they worked with the tension in the game.

The weapons largely sucked though...your core of the assault rifle and SMG were trusty, but the shotguns were lousy (terribly short-ranged even by shotgun standards....only effective at a range of about 1 foot, and by that time you're getting blasted to hell by whatever they have), my FEAR 1 favorite--the particle/energy rifle--was shitty due to its slow moving Quad Laser-like projectile and almost impossible to find, the laser was too unwieldy to use in a firefight, and you only found a missile launcher during those couple of times you were about to fight a powered armor unit.

Speaking of powered armor, I personally didn't like the powered armor/turret set pieces. They just didn't feel right for the game...arcade style blasting away in what's normally a methodical dark psychological horror game. Now if Monolith decides to make a separate much more in-depth Mechwarrior style title...I think they could make a damn fine game out of what they demonstrated, but all it felt like was just that...a demo of something else.

And at the end of the game, I found myself even more confused that I was at the end of the first one. I had fun with FEAR 2, but I think they kind of forgot what was good in the original game. They tried too damn hard to top it and tried fixing things that weren't really broken. It ended up feeling more empty than the original.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 am

Sounds like your review is similar to mine. I thought the game-play was pretty mint: controls, reactions, slo-mo, etc. I didn't even think about the weapons, but I agree with you. I hated the rail guns (as I did in the first game), and that super weapon was weak! I stuck to the SMG, Assault Rifle, and sniper rifle for 90% of the game. The shotties were good for those dudes that would scurry around on all fours.

I did find the intell pieces were kind of annoying, too. Felt like every five minutes I had to break to read a paragraph or two of the storyline. Though they were necessary, it could have been done better IMO.

I thought the robot was pretty cool, though a little too invincible. The inferred was cool.

I was actually following the story pretty well until the last cut-scene. Then back to confusing again.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 am

[quote="Talon"]Sounds like your review is similar to mine. I thought the game-play was pretty mint: controls, reactions, slo-mo, etc. I didn't even think about the weapons, but I agree with you. I hated the rail guns (as I did in the first game), and that super weapon was weak! I stuck to the SMG, Assault Rifle, and sniper rifle for 90% of the game. The shotties were good for those dudes that would scurry around on all fours.[quote]

Yeah the shotguns were good for them, but those enemies were sparse. There was one fight where the laser actually worked for me, near the end when your chasing Keegan through Still Island and there were those fights with the cloaked fuckers. I could back myself into a corner and let loose with the laser and fry 'em, but that's the only real use the laser got.

I did find the intell pieces were kind of annoying, too. Felt like every five minutes I had to break to read a paragraph or two of the storyline. Though they were necessary, it could have been done better IMO.

Totally agree. I imagine half of those could have been woven into the actual story through conversations and actions.

I thought the robot was pretty cool, though a little too invincible. The inferred was cool.

The robots were cool, but just not in the context of the game. They just didn't fit at all, to me.

I was actually following the story pretty well until the last cut-scene. Then back to confusing again.

Yeah I had to look up some things online and I'm still confused. So let's see:

Spoiler:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Alma has some nice tits as a teen, though. :miller:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Ah well, I am playing Killzone 2 right now and am not impressed with it thus far.
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Talon wrote:Ah well, I am playing Killzone 2 right now and am not impressed with it thus far.

Which is odd because a lot of reviews I've heard said the 2nd one is truly the "Halo killer" that the first one was supposed to be.

My dad loved the first Killzone. I watched him play it and it seemed to be a decent game, but I didn't see it as anything too special. Dad, however, would probably get a PS3 just to get Killzone 2.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 pm

I'd tell him to pass on buying a PS3 just for KZ2. It's nothing spectacular. The controls are difficult to get used to (there's a slight delay in both X & Y directions, though I've read you can d/l an update to fix it but I haven't yet) and there is nothing innovative about it. If he already had a PS3, I'd say go for it, but to buy one just for this game is a negative IMO.

The soldiers (good guys) look like a toned downed version of Gears of War wannabes and all I've done thus far is run around and shoot guys, who all look about the same (pale skin, black suits and red goggles). Obviously it is a FPS but as I said, nothing innovative. RUn to point a, shoot guys... more guys come, shoot them; run to point B, shoot guys... more guys come, shoot them; get yelled at by General on radio, run to point C, shoot guys, etc...

Another thing that annoys me is head-shots don't kill guys. You have to get them twice: first one just knocks their helmet off and you have to get another to kill them. Kind of defeats the purpose and fun, IMO.

I've had it for about a week now and am about 3-4 hours in. Hasn't grabbed my attention yet. I bought it so I have to beat it, but it's going back to Gamestop as soon as I do. I was looking forward to this one for a while, too. Woe
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum