Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regal GS = half fail.

+5
Dodge
ascona
1300ZUK
Swerve
Turbojett
9 posters

Go down

Regal GS = half fail. Empty Regal GS = half fail.

Post by Turbojett Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:34 pm

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_buick_regal_gs-official_photos_and_info
Regal GS = half fail. 2012_buick_regal_gs_2_cd_gallery
Regal GS = half fail. 2012_buick_regal_gs_3_cd_gallery
So that new Regal GS is a go.
While I was always sorely disappointed that it didn't come with the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia OPC/VXR's V6, I was willing to settle for the 255hp 2.0L Turbo that apparently delivers similar performance. I loved the way they redesigned the fascias and skirts, and the interior looks promising too, with a GS-spec all-black interior, metal pedals, Recaro-esque front seats (The actual Recaros from the concept would have reportedly been too expensive) and the flat-bottomed steering wheels so prevalent in sports cars and sports sedans these days. It's even going to be offered solely with a 6-speed manual for the frst year (a 6A will be available either mid-'12 or for MY '13).

Now here's the disappointment: remember the trick AWD system the concept GS had, and the OPC/VXR's have?
You guessed it. Fistfucked by the hand of GM. Instead, it comes with a trick MacPhereson Strut setup called HiPerStrut (High Performance Strut) that will combat the inevitable torque steer of a 255hp FRONT-DRIVE "sports sedan".

How the hell are domestic buyers going to drop $35K on this car? More importantly how is this going to get Import buyers out of their cars and into a Buick. Sure, it's main competitors, The Acura TL, and Audi A4 are FWD as well, but only in base form, thier top line models are AWD. Then GM dangles the AWD carrot out in front of us, promising us a serious sports-sedan, only to replace it with a leek.

This, I am sorely disappointed in. I'm still interested to see how it drives, but I don't think it will do better than the TL, and certainly won't come close to an A4, especially since the models it will most likely compete against in those lines come with QUATTRO or SH-AWD.
And what about Volvo S60, Lincoln MKZ? Oh wait...Top models AWD.
GM tried to catch the boat on this one but it crash-landed on the side of the hull, just shy of the railing.</rant>

Last edited by Turbojett on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Regal GS = half fail. Empty Re: Regal GS = half fail.

Post by Swerve Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Is this really a better car than the Pontiac G8? I sort of liked the Vauxhall in the Top Gear review, but it was pretty forgettable - a niche product similar to what GM already provide through Saab (assuming they still own it).

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Actually sadly, my dad is a gluten for punishment. And he's currently looking at replacing his CTS with a Regal Turbo.........

I don't know what to say to him. 30K+ for a small buick with a turbo. Woe

Meanwhile, he refuses to look at Hyundai's (even though his son works for the Hyundai Kia Group) all because he doesn't think the dealership in his town is going to make it. And all my life he has bought GM because he brother works for GM, but then been sadly disappointed. I sensing a repeat.

1300ZUK
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:45 pm

saab is dutch nowadays.....

also, i would not buy another american car.
not even if it's just badge engineered.

ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Swerve wrote:Is this really a better car than the Pontiac G8? I sort of liked the Vauxhall in the Top Gear review, but it was pretty forgettable - a niche product similar to what GM already provide through Saab (assuming they still own it).
No, Koenigsegg owns Saab now. GM is only providing platforms for models that were already in development before the sale, and Koenigsegsegseg has to redesign the models within five years in order to cut GM loose. And other than the CTS, there's not a sedan that GM makes, that is better than a G8. We want our Pontiacs back. Fucking GM, killing off the only real (and competitive) cars you had.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Turbojett wrote:
Swerve wrote:Is this really a better car than the Pontiac G8? I sort of liked the Vauxhall in the Top Gear review, but it was pretty forgettable - a niche product similar to what GM already provide through Saab (assuming they still own it).
No, Koenigsegg owns Saab now.

No, Spyker owns Saab now.
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:02 pm

ascona wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

I thought it was Koenigsegg. I forgot that the talks fell through and Spyker bought them instead. Two similarly eccentric independent supercar makers, can't blame me for getting them confused, especially considering both of them were involved.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Turbojett wrote:
ascona wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

I thought it was Koenigsegg. I forgot that the talks fell through and Spyker bought them instead. Two similarly eccentric independent supercar makers, can't blame me for getting them confused, especially considering both of them were involved.

and you are the one with the hard on for GM cars ^_^

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:55 am

1300ZUK wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
ascona wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

born and bred. still bowtie till the day I die.
but part of being a big fan is being a tough critic when they do something this stupid. plus I've soured on them since they killed my other favorite division.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:03 am

sharp lookin car though..takes what was good about the aura and intensifies it
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:47 am

That's not a Turbo Regal

This is a Turbo Regal: wub

Regal GS = half fail. T
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:20 am

Turbojett wrote:
1300ZUK wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
ascona wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

but part of being a big fan is being a tough critic when they do something this stupid. plus I've soured on them since they killed my other favorite division.

Saying you are a bowtie implies you only like Chevrolets (Sorry they don't want it referred to as Chevy anymore)

And yes, i was born and raised on GM cars, then i owned one.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:20 am

SBF wrote:That's not a Turbo Regal

Regal GS = half fail. T

wub

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:34 am

1300ZUK wrote:

Regal GS = half fail. T

wub

Damn right you better show love.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm

too bad they didnt come in a stick though.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:38 pm

1300ZUK wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
1300ZUK wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
ascona wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

Saying you are a bowtie implies you only like Chevrolets (Sorry they don't want it referred to as Chevy anymore)

And yes, i was born and raised on GM cars, then i owned one.
I own two, I'd own a third, and fuck those guys I'm still calling it Chevy.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Regal GS = half fail. T
mmm T-Type.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 am

Clockbreaker wrote:too bad they didnt come in a stick though.

Actually, I have to give Buick credit to keep them all automatic. People would have been going through clutches constantly.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Auto or not, that generation Regal/Grand National/GNX was the last real muscle car of the old school.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Turbojett wrote:Auto or not, that generation Regal/Grand National/GNX was the last real muscle car of the old school.
True, very true. :hmmm:
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Swerve wrote:Is this really a better car than the Pontiac G8?
No it isn't better than the Commodore. But for some reason GM killed that in North America (even though I saw a lot of them on the roads, so it seemed to be selling pretty well to me). The car looks nice, seems a decent ride, but AWD would have made it pretty cool. FWD-only? Bleh...
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy
And so the woe continues.
And so the woe continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Edge Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Turbojett wrote:http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q4/2012_buick_regal_gs-official_photos_and_info
Regal GS = half fail. 2012_buick_regal_gs_2_cd_gallery
Regal GS = half fail. 2012_buick_regal_gs_3_cd_gallery
So that new Regal GS is a go.
While I was always sorely disappointed that it didn't come with the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia OPC/VXR's V6, I was willing to settle for the 255hp 2.0L Turbo that apparently delivers similar performance. I loved the way they redesigned the fascias and skirts, and the interior looks promising too, with a GS-spec all-black interior, metal pedals, Recaro-esque front seats (The actual Recaros from the concept would have reportedly been too expensive) and the flat-bottomed steering wheels so prevalent in sports cars and sports sedans these days. It's even going to be offered solely with a 6-speed manual for the frst year (a 6A will be available either mid-'12 or for MY '13).

Now here's the disappointment: remember the trick AWD system the concept GS had, and the OPC/VXR's have?
You guessed it. Fistfucked by the hand of GM. Instead, it comes with a trick MacPhereson Strut setup called HiPerStrut (High Performance Strut) that will combat the inevitable torque steer of a 255hp FRONT-DRIVE "sports sedan".

How the hell are domestic buyers going to drop $35K on this car? More importantly how is this going to get Import buyers out of their cars and into a Buick. Sure, it's main competitors, The Acura TL, and Audi A4 are FWD as well, but only in base form, thier top line models are AWD. Then GM dangles the AWD carrot out in front of us, promising us a serious sports-sedan, only to replace it with a leek.

This, I am sorely disappointed in. I'm still interested to see how it drives, but I don't think it will do better than the TL, and certainly won't come close to an A4, especially since the models it will most likely compete against in those lines come with QUATTRO or SH-AWD.
And what about Volvo S60, Lincoln MKZ? Oh wait...Top models AWD.
GM tried to catch the boat on this one but it crash-landed on the side of the hull, just shy of the railing.</rant>

Bean counters man, they brought down GM and they will again if they're not controlled...
The_Edge
The_Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down