Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lotus Elite Concept

+8
Pennzoil GT-R
1300ZUK
spaced cowboy
SBF
Olds
Turbofrog
Dodge
Turbojett
12 posters

Go down

Lotus Elite Concept Empty Lotus Elite Concept

Post by Turbojett Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 pm

From Top Gear

topgear.com wrote:Lotus’s DB9 rival revealed
Under new boss Dany Bahar, Lotus has big plans. Many big, fast, expensive plans.

And this is perhaps the biggest, fastest and most expensive of the bunch. This is the Lotus Elite (read it carefully), a front-engined, 2+2 super-coupe to rival the Aston Martin DB9 and due to launch in 2014.

See more pics of the Lotus Elite

The Elite will be officially revealed at the Paris Motor Show next week, and spearheads a slew of new Lotuses aiming to take on Porsche, Ferrari and Aston in the next few years.

That's a big aim, but the Elite has some big credentials. Under that long bonnet, though behind the front axle, is a Toyota-sourced 5.0-litre V8 - the engine found in the mighty, and mighty sounding, Lexus IS-F - developing 610bhp at 8,000rpm. And, unlike the IS-F version, which is awesome enough, this one is supercharged. Lotus says it'll haul to 62mph in around 3.5 seconds which, if true, puts the Elite in some pretty serious company.

The shape is by a team operating under Lotus’s new head of design, Donato Coco. He began at Lotus in January 2010, and it’s no coincidence that he came from Ferrari, where he was head of Concept Design & Development. No coincidence for two reasons. One, the boss of Lotus, Dany Bahar, also came from Ferrari. Two, Coco was at Ferrari when the California was taking shape.

There's tech here, too. The full 610bhp Elite will, says Lotus, use an optional full complement of hybrid gubbins - integrated electric motors and an F1-style ‘KERS' regeneration system. In hybrid guise, it weighs 1,650kg, about 100kg less than the DB9 but portly by Lotus's own featherweight standards.

The Lotus is 10cm shorter than the Aston, but the most significant gap between the two cars comes in the form of the CO2 emissions: the Elite is predicted to cough out just 215g/km of CO2, a massive 40 per cent less than the DB9.

One more ambitious figure for you: £115,000. That's the price that Lotus has tagged on the Elite, and a clear indication of its intention to head upmarket, although note that's the base price for the non-hybrid version, which is predicted to put out a slightly meeker 550bhp (to be fair, that's still officially "a lot"). The Norfolk firm will have to raise its game hugely in terms of interior fit, finish and cabin gizmos to justify that price tag and tempt buyers away from their Porsches, but Bahar sounds confident.

"Make no mistake, there's a definite market requirement for the Elite," says the ex-Ferrari man.

"It's the ultimate sports car feel with comfort and space. There will always be those who believe Lotus should stick to small sports cars, but we didn't take the decision to design something like the Elite lightly. This sector has been very successful for us in the past, and now the Elite raises the benchmark higher still."

What do you reckon? Can Lotus really take on the big boys at their own game? Or should it stick to lightweight, no-frills track monsters?
Lotus Elite Concept Lotus-Elite_Concept_2010_photo_01
Lotus Elite Concept Lotus-Elite_Concept_2010_photo_02
Lotus Elite Concept Lotus-Elite_Concept_2010_photo_03
Lotus Elite Concept Lotus-Elite_Concept_2010_photo_04
Turbojett
Turbojett
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Lotus Elite Concept Empty Re: Lotus Elite Concept

Post by Dodge Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I love the front and rear, great design there..not crazy about the side profile but I can accept it
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 pm

All the people on Autoblog were raggin' on it for being 3600 lbs, despite the fact that there isn't a single 2+2 GT on the market that comes close to its power:weight.

I think it's pretty awesome, but it's expensive, so I don't really give a shit about it.

Turbofrog
mis'-e-ry (n.) 1. wretchedness of condition or circumstances. 2. Me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Looks like a piece of shit.
Olds
Olds
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 pm

The front end head on looks like an Rx-8.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Turbofrog wrote:All the people on Autoblog were raggin' on it for being 3600 lbs, despite the fact that there isn't a single 2+2 GT on the market that comes close to its power:weight.

I think it's pretty awesome, but it's expensive, so I don't really give a shit about it.
It's a 3600 pound Lotus. Unless Lotus gets into the tank building business, that amounts to heresey, so yeah, it should be ragged on...
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy
And so the woe continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm

I think Colin Chapman is rolling over in his grave.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 pm

spaced cowboy wrote:
Turbofrog wrote:All the people on Autoblog were raggin' on it for being 3600 lbs, despite the fact that there isn't a single 2+2 GT on the market that comes close to its power:weight.

It's a 3600 pound Lotus. Unless Lotus gets into the tank building business, that amounts to heresey, so yeah, it should be ragged on...
The Lotus Carlton weighed that much, and people don't rag on it because it's heavy. Sure, it was a mid-sized sedan, but you have to compare within its class.

Turbofrog

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

So if Lotus Started to make an SUV to compete with a Land Cruiser that would be cool?

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 am

its looks and peformance dont matter one iota. theyre always going to be good. what will make or break this car is the interior and how well its put together. theyll never compete with porsche/ferrari so long as their interiors feel like theyve been glued together in a shed

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 am

Something about it makes it seem more like an RX8/370Z competitor. It has no class and the proportions aren't supercar interesting.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:its looks and peformance dont matter one iota. theyre always going to be good. what will make or break this car is the interior and how well its put together. theyll never compete with porsche/ferrari so long as their interiors feel like theyve been glued together in a shed
which they basically are...
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

I'd rather a Miata
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:04 pm

VS wrote:I'd rather a Miata

+1
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbofrog Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 pm

VS wrote:I'd rather a bicycle
+1

Turbofrog

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Turbofrog wrote:
VS wrote:I'd rather a unicycle
+1

+1
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:26 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Turbofrog wrote:
VS wrote:I'd rather a menstrual cycle
+1

+1

+1
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:33 pm

VS wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Turbofrog wrote:
VS wrote:I'd rather a celestial cycle
+1

+1

+1

+1
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 pm

bunch of cyclopaths :smelly:
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Turbofrog wrote:
spaced cowboy wrote:

The Lotus Carlton weighed that much, and people don't rag on it because it's heavy. Sure, it was a mid-sized sedan, but you have to compare within its class.
The Lotus Carlton was also a Vauxhall, hot-rodded by Lotus.

[moronic soapbox]This is an actual Lotus, and therein lies the difference. It may be lighter than its competitors, but Colin Chapman is an automotive absolute, and so are the standards Lotus cars must live up to [/moronic soapbox]...
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down