Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst model in each manufacturer's range?

+8
thewalrus
Dodge
Turbojett
JaysonAych
Pennzoil GT-R
Honor
SBF
Swerve
12 posters

Go down

Worst model in each manufacturer's range? Empty Worst model in each manufacturer's range?

Post by Swerve Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:51 am

I'll get started with the BMW X1. Clearly the Bavarian's worst car. It is too small to be a practical wagon, heavy for its size and awful looking.
If it was the exact same car only badged as a Kia, it would sell zero units. But it's not so it will likely be popular with clueless types.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Worst model in each manufacturer's range? Empty Re: Worst model in each manufacturer's range?

Post by SBF Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:23 am

I'll throw in Chrysler. Most of their lineup is crap, but the Caliber/Compass/Patriot is a piece of shit. They weren't well thought out. I actually like the looks of the Patriot, but they should have taken the way it looks, made it into the redesigned Liberty (which has more off road capability than a vehicle based off FWD architecture) and called it the Cherokee.

On the SUV side the Dodge Nitro/Jeep Liberty aren't excellent. The redesigned Liberty looks like it was made from Lego's and looks exactly like the Nitro. They have a shitty underpowered powertrain and get horrible fuel mileage. I'm still pretty disappointed they replaced the Cherokee with the Liberty.

On the Truck side, the Dakota is pretty disappointing. They have given up on it and it's currently on life support. For a truck that used to sell extremely well from the late 80's all the way to the redesign in 2005, it's disappointing that it's going the way of the dodo bird.
SBF
SBF
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Worst model in each manufacturer's range? Empty Re: Worst model in each manufacturer's range?

Post by Honor Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am

Toyota needs to start making sports cars again. Everything they make now besides the Lexus IS's are neutered.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 am

Swerve wrote:I'll get started with the BMW X1. Clearly the Bavarian's worst car. It is too small to be a practical wagon, heavy for its size and awful looking.
If it was the exact same car only badged as a Kia, it would sell zero units. But it's not so it will likely be popular with clueless types.

BMW's entire X range really, but i'll go ahead and give the nod to the X6 over the X1. Useless off road, useless on road, and just about the most ugly thing ive ever seen.

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:39 pm

SBF wrote:I'll throw in Chrysler. Most of their lineup is crap, but the Caliber/Compass/Patriot is a piece of shit. They weren't well thought out. I actually like the looks of the Patriot, but they should have taken the way it looks, made it into the redesigned Liberty (which has more off road capability than a vehicle based off FWD architecture) and called it the Cherokee.

Chrysler doesn't make it easy to choose, but I've got to go with the Sebring/Avenger twins. A huge step down from the previous models and they don't even try to compete with their horrible interiors and ugly exteriors. As bad as a lot of their other cars are, they all have at least a few positives, but I can't think of any reason anyone would even consider a Sebring.

Ford's lineup is quite solid, but that old C170 Focus they still sell here wears some pretty ugly clothes these days and is getting really long in the tooth. Thank goodness it's being replaced soon.

For GM, the Aveo is an obvious choice, but I'm going to go with the Cadillac DTS. A big floaty front wheel drive old-style Cadillac that doesn't fit at all with the current strategy of using Cadillac to fight BMW and Benz and letting Buick handle the floaty old folks cars. The CTS that ushered in the new strategy is now in its second generation and GM is still peddling the DTS as a competitor to the Euro brands' large car offerings and doing so with a straight face.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I was actually holding out some hope for the new Aveo because I liked the concept, but the production version doesn't nearly deliver the same stylistic drama. It just looks like another boring old B-car. Honsetly, who would buy that over a Fiesta? Hopefully if they make good on their promise to produce an RS version that's capable enough to go up against the likes of the GTI, et. al., that should give it a little more street cred, but I'm not holding out any hope any more. I agree however that Cadillac needs to just stop making the DTS altogether. it's probably the only remnant left of "Gee, cars like this put us in the poorhouse" GM. It doesn't matter that the XTS is still a couple years away from production. At this point an empty slot in the lineup would be better than that archaic landfill barge. The CTS is basically carrying Cadillac anyway, so what's it matter?

It's pretty sad for Honda when the most exciting car they make now is a Hybrid Hatchback that's not even as good as a GTI, but that's not the least of their sins. They're not going to replace the NSX or S2000, or even the Integra anytime soon, and they're just resting lazily on their boring, gouge-my-eyes-out-ugly laurels.

I disagree about Toyota however, because they're starting to do better in the sporty department. The LF-A is going to be a huge money hole, but it turned out to be a pretty stellar car, and the FT-86/Sprinter/Celica/wetf they're gonna call it looks promising as well. Also, theres still talk of a Supra replacement still in development (the LF-A was NOT it) based off of the FT-HS concept.
however...as far as Toyota goes, my vote goes to pretty much the entire Scion line. I never cared for rolling boxes, and I always considered the xB ugly as hell--even for a rolling box. The tC was great when it first came out, but then it got long in the tooth, and then when they redesigned it, they ended up building a 2000 Hyundai Accent. The xD is utterly useless as a car, but I'm sure it would at least make an awesome ice chest. And I'll say the same thing about the iQ that I say about the Smart--there's no possible way that thing could be anywhere near safe in an accident. It is a screaming deathtrap, plain and simple. Honselty, what's so "iQ" about that?

As much as I hate the Scion xB, I hate the Nissan Cube even more. Granted, I like Nissans, but this one's a stink bomb. It somehow manages to be flamboyant and grotesque at the same time. (Grotesquely flamboyant? Flamboyantly grotesque?) And we actually wanted Nissan to import this? I think the Juke looks like a catfish that's been three rounds in the ring with Oscar de la Hoya, but looks aside it may actually turn out to be a decent car.

And can somebody please tell me WHY they still make a Beetle based off of the Golf IV chassis that looks largely the same as it did in 1998? I mean yeah, they had the original Type 1 Beetle keep basically the same style for half a century, but what the way that the industry is run nowadays, they seem completely ignorant to the fact that they can't get away with that now. You'd think they'd get the message by the way the car is selling; not even sixteen year old girls who don't know any better want to drive it anymore. That and it's a J. Mays design: -1,000,000 points.

and a note to Mazda: If you don't replace the RX8 with something decent--I.e. better than an RX7, I will never forgive you. The RX8 is the best car you currently make, and the RX7 was the best car you ever made. Get it together.
/end rant. for now.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm

I think that most of the "blue collar" manafacturers are lacking a sporty small sedan or coupe. We need another 240sx or RWD Celica again. I would really dig a small or medium size RWD sedan with a turbo 4. It has to be affordable too.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm

The fact nissan has not produced another S chassis type car, and have probably missed the opportunity to do so, disgusts me..becuase they have the powertrains and the platforms to do it.

As far as their worst current? Guess i'll go with the sentra, its styling is just awfully proportioned, has poor engine choices, and the interior is like a page out of the GM booklet bad.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Dodge wrote:The fact nissan has not produced another S chassis type car, and have probably missed the opportunity to do so, disgusts me..becuase they have the powertrains and the platforms to do it.

As far as their worst current? Guess i'll go with the sentra, its styling is just awfully proportioned, has poor engine choices, and the interior is like a page out of the GM booklet bad.
not the Versa? Any car where air-con and an AM/FM stereo (no aux jack, no CD player, not even a cassette deck) are extra cost options in this day in age is just a vulgar insult. :sonofscreamo:
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Turbojett wrote:
Dodge wrote:The fact nissan has not produced another S chassis type car, and have probably missed the opportunity to do so, disgusts me..becuase they have the powertrains and the platforms to do it.

not the Versa? Any car where air-con and an AM/FM stereo (no aux jack, no CD player, not even a cassette deck) are extra cost options in this day in age is just a vulgar insult. :sonofscreamo:

I don't know, really depends on what they're asking for it. Honestly I'd love to see a resurgance of bare bones, truely basic models. Manual Transmission, no air, no cruise, no power windows, mirrors, manually operated cloth seats, etc. I suppose I'd draw the line at the lack of a radio. But seriously, how awesome would it be to pick up a base level BMW 3 series with no extraneous shit? Probably save a lot of weight too.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

I don't know, really depends on what they're asking for it. Honestly I'd love to see a resurgance of bare bones, truely basic models. Manual Transmission, no air, no cruise, no power windows, mirrors, manually operated cloth seats, etc. I suppose I'd draw the line at the lack of a radio. But seriously, how awesome would it be to pick up a base level BMW 3 series with no extraneous shit? Probably save a lot of weight too.
well it's going back and forth between the hyundai accent as the cheapest car sold in America, but there's just some things in a car you can't go without. I mean I always drive a manual, and I can take or leave power windows, mirrors, locks, seats, etc. I personally would choose aircon over a raido. You can always fit a radio in later, but when it gets hot, rolling the window down just doesn't cut it sometimes. likewise, I don't want to freeze my ass off in the winter, especially if i lived in a place that gets snow.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm

I think the versa is a fine car actually..and in 6 years of driving in florida, ive never had a car with a/c
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Turbojett wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

well it's going back and forth between the hyundai accent as the cheapest car sold in America, but there's just some things in a car you can't go without. I mean I always drive a manual, and I can take or leave power windows, mirrors, locks, seats, etc. I personally would choose aircon over a raido. You can always fit a radio in later, but when it gets hot, rolling the window down just doesn't cut it sometimes. likewise, I don't want to freeze my ass off in the winter, especially if i lived in a place that gets snow.

It must have a heater though, no? I mean isn't a heater just the venting of engine heat into the cabin? I could live without AC - I took enough trips through Death Valley in a non-AC'd Toyota to remember what it was like - and I could tough it out. Just need a lot of water. I'd miss the Radio the most though. Need tunes when you're driving.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:41 pm

thewalrus wrote:

your dream car:
Worst model in each manufacturer's range? Dacia_Logan_rd_vl
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:48 pm

those fake foglights are totally unnecessary, and whats up with the painted steel wheels, black steelies are where its at.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 pm

In Smart's lineup i really dislike the Smart.
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Dodge wrote:those fake foglights are totally unnecessary, and whats up with the painted steel wheels, black steelies are where its at.

you need the fake foglights to highlight you don't have them.

also, hubcaps are an option.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

It must have a heater though, no? I mean isn't a heater just the venting of engine heat into the cabin? I could live without AC - I took enough trips through Death Valley in a non-AC'd Toyota to remember what it was like - and I could tough it out. Just need a lot of water. I'd miss the Radio the most though. Need tunes when you're driving.
to each his own i guess, but i guess I'm just overly weather-sensitive.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 pm

GMC- Acadia
Chevy - Aveo
Cadillac - DTS
Buick - Lucerne
Ford - Focus or Econoline
Mercur.... fixed
Lincoln - Whatever the Flex is called
Dodge - Avenger
Chrysler - Sebring
Ram - Dakota
Jeep - Compass
Suzuki - Grand Vitara (what happened to the Wrangler Fighter?)
Mitsubishi - Everything (Excluding lancer)
Mini - Clubman
BMW - X6
Audi - A3 or Q5
VW - "new" Beetle
Acura - ZDX (the whole lineup is hideous)
Honda - Fit (they ruined it)
Hyundai - Azera (yes it still exists)
Kia - Rio5
Toyota - Venza
Lexus - SC (actually i think its dead for 2011)
Scion - Pick one
Mercedes - R-Klasse
Subaru - Forester
Nissan - Sentra
Infinity - EX35
Saab - 9 3 Conv.
Mazda - Why are they so god damn happy now
Volvo - They don't have one

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm

I had one for a month while my Corolla was in the shop getting repaired after an accident. It was an epic shitbox, with the only feature I miss being the ability to control the speed of the wipers to a much greater degree. Nothing else about that thing was in any way appealing.
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy
And so the woe continues.

Back to top Go down

Post by spaced cowboy Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Turbojett wrote:

The Sentra is the Versa, minus the extra room and practicality of the hatch configuration, with even worse styling...
spaced cowboy
spaced cowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:14 am

thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

You would love my Camry. V6, manual transmission, wind-up windows, no cruise. The one thing it does have is bloody cold air conditioning. Even on the lowest fan setting I kept switching it off because it was absolutely freezing. It made me realise that none of my other cars have ever had properly working A/C. I've always been the windows/roof down type, but air con with the windows up and a cd on was pretty handy on this road trip.
The Camry also had impressive grip for a $1400 car with undoubtably shit tyres. But the body roll left a fair bit to be desired.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:17 pm

1300ZUK wrote:Ford - Focus or Econoline
Mitsubishi - Everything (Excluding lancer)
As far as Ford goes, the Focus is absolute shit and has been around forever, but something else occurred to me: Don't they still make the Ranger? That I think definitely gets my vote for Ford. The damn thing hasn't been reengineered since the early years of the Reagan Administration.
With Mitsubishi, I'd take it a step further ans say that Everything is horrible except, specifically, the Lancer Evolution. Perhaps the RalliArt isn't so bad, but base Lancers are about as much to write home about as everything else in the lineup.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:19 pm

ford ka and fiesta. :puke:
but yeah, the ranger is shit
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

I like the fiesta
VS
VS

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 pm

VS wrote:I like the fiesta

the fiesta is acceptable for it's class, but when i configured one to my liking (but without satnav, as it's not an option..), i was at just south of 30k euro. for a fucking fiesta. that's the point where i say it's shit.

a good car turns to shit when it's ridiculously overpriced...
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 pm

I will agree with that point. All these supposedly low-end hatchbacks when properly optioned out are well above a 'low-end' pricepoint.
VS
VS

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:45 pm

1300ZUK wrote:GMC- Acadia

what's wrong with the Acadia. Out of all the CUVs out there this is one of the best looking ones. I've never heard a bad review of it. If anything, it's just too damn expensive.
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 pm

SBF wrote:

what's wrong with the Acadia. Out of all the CUVs out there this is one of the best looking ones. I've never heard a bad review of it. If anything, it's just too damn expensive.

Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave

Actually i probably should have made that the Canyon. :lol:

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by SBF Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:50 am

1300ZUK wrote:
SBF wrote:

Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave

Actually i probably should have made that the Canyon. :lol:

That would've been a better choice. :lol:
SBF
SBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum