Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon

+5
Dodge
JaysonAych
dunnas
Aristotle
xtine
9 posters

Go down

Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon Empty Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon

Post by xtine Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Gaming systems like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have advanced graphics capabilities that make racing games look almost like you're doing the real thing. While today's games are everything we've ever hoped for, iOpener Media appears ready to take the next step by letting gamers actually participate in race day. The Netherlands-based company has created a way of utilizing GPS signals of professional drivers from a live event to let gamers go head to head with the world's best on their TVs. Sweet! This technology could very soon give you the ability to participate virtually in a real race, provided that iOpener Media has set up track-side servers to communicate car positioning over the Internet and into your gaming console. The system is so accurate, it can determine the location of every vehicle in the race to within 30 cm.

iOpener Media doesn't intend to build the actual games, but it will offer its technology to game developers. It will also provide virtual reality software that blends real and virtual worlds by creating on-the-fly, real-looking crashes and take-over maneuvers that simulate the interaction between real and fake cars.

While such a game would give you a much better experience of racing in a real event, it isn't perfect. For example, Lewis Hamilton will never see you, so he won't react to your every move. Also, any real drivers that run into your virtual open wheel will go on untouched while you fly into a cement barrier. But it's still a new take on driving games, and if it provides enough real-life experience, hard-core gamers will love it. And the best part is that the technology has already been tested with an F1 car, and it could very well be a reality in time for the next Christmas shopping season.

http://www.autoblog.com/
xtine
xtine
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon Empty Re: Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon

Post by Aristotle Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:17 pm

it would be supremely awesome if you could interfere with the real race.
Aristotle
Aristotle
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon Empty Re: Real-time virtual racing against live professionals coming soon

Post by Aristotle Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 pm

i can imagine les sitting around his computer trying to sabotage ferrari drivers.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:04 pm

I think this sounds a lot cooler in theory than anything that actually comes from this will be.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:37 am

dunnas wrote:I think this sounds a lot cooler in theory than anything that actually comes from this will be.

Yeah...if they treated them like ghost cars, it would be somewhat neat, but wouldn't give you the full experience.

Now if they could take the race data, and after the race is over, use the information to extrapolate how each driver would run the race taking into account your presence there.

They could use...I don't know...equations and algorithms and stuff.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:40 am

Iracing has been talking about doing just that, taking GPS data from real races and imputing it into an AI, the challenge is getting the ai cars to do that, and interact with you at the same time

Not exactly real time like they are talking about in this article though, not exactly sure how that would work.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

http://www.racetrackcentral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

Back to top Go down

Post by Pennzoil GT-R Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 pm

JaysonAych wrote:
dunnas wrote:I think this sounds a lot cooler in theory than anything that actually comes from this will be.

Yeah...if they treated them like ghost cars, it would be somewhat neat, but wouldn't give you the full experience.

Now if they could take the race data, and after the race is over, use the information to extrapolate how each driver would run the race taking into account your presence there.

theyre talking about using ghost cars but getting AI to take over when you get close/in the same place as the real car.

The thing is....is this actually going to be fun? How many of us could really sit behind the virtual wheel for 70 odd laps and bang in perfect lap after perfect lap to keep up with Kimi & co every fortnight, let alone pass any of them.

Pennzoil GT-R
It takes rue to make a thing go right (yeaah...RUUE!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

theyre talking about using ghost cars but getting AI to take over when you get close/in the same place as the real car.

The thing is....is this actually going to be fun? How many of us could really sit behind the virtual wheel for 70 odd laps and bang in perfect lap after perfect lap to keep up with Kimi & co every fortnight, let alone pass any of them.

*whistles
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Dodge wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

*whistles

you can do the driving, but could you keep up ?
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodge Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:04 am

Ascona wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

*whistles

you can do the driving, but could you keep up ?

At some places probably, some places not so much.
Dodge
Dodge
Blah blah blah blah woe

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 am

Pennzoil GT-R wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:

Yeah, that might be a bit of a grind...
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 911 Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't think you'd have to worry much about hitting the other cars because he'll be way the fuck in front of you.

is full of anguish

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 pm

that force dynamics setup is pretty cool. i wonder how much it costs.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:05 am

911 wrote:I don't think you'd have to worry much about hitting the other cars because he'll be way the fuck in front of you.

yeah, the first 2 laps, then they'll be all pumpin your ass 'n shit
ascona
ascona

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:24 am

xtine wrote:While such a game would give you a much better experience of racing in a real event, it isn't perfect. For example, Lewis Hamilton will never see you, so he won't react to your every move.

In other words, it would be exactly like the real thing.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum