Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you think about FIA going to the medal system?

4 posters

:: Sports

Go down

what do you think about FIA going to the medal system? Empty what do you think about FIA going to the medal system?

Post by big_jesus Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:37 pm

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=formula1/09/03/17/manual_140459.html

quick ref:

The FIA have agreed to award the Formula One world drivers' championship to the driver with the most race wins from this season onwards.

The governing body's World Motor Sport Council has agreed to the proposal from Bernie Ecclestne's Formula One Management to award the championship to the driver with most race wins, although there is no provision to award medals.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will go to the driver with the most points, based on the current system.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

what do you think about FIA going to the medal system? Empty Re: what do you think about FIA going to the medal system?

Post by big_jesus Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:37 pm

i don't think i like it.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

what do you think about FIA going to the medal system? Empty Re: what do you think about FIA going to the medal system?

Post by thewalrus Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't like it either. I guess we'll see though. I still have to decide whether i'm going to upgrade my cable package to get F1 this year.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Why do sporting bodies fuck around with things that ain't broke?
The awarding of the WDC to the driver with the most wins is STUPID! For example of how it is so:

Driver "A" wins 6 races but fails to score points or DNF's the other 12 on the season.

Driver "B" wins 5 races but scores say 6 more podiums and a few other points places.

Who wins the WDC? Well now Driver "A" does even if the other driver was the more consistent one and likely has many more points.

Pro sports at all levels are all going mental. It's as if the governors and other officials just can't keep their god damn fingers out of mucking things up.
We all can understand cost cutting in F1 and yet debate at what or how to do it. But there was no cry to change how a WDC was to be awarded. IT'S NUTS! :sonofscreamo:
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am

This is ironic considering they changed the points system to 10-8-6 for no conceivable reason last decade.

In some ways I like this, because it embraces the all or nothing attitude. ONLY PROBLEM IS the FIA has no idea what constitutes bad driving and it's very likely that someone who wins more races on the track will lose the title by way of having a 25 second time penalty handed down for overtaking a slower car.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 am

That said, my work fantasy F1 team this year included Alonso and it seems like there might be value in backing this up with some real money now.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Swerve wrote:This is ironic considering they changed the points system to 10-8-6 for no conceivable reason last decade.

In some ways I like this, because it embraces the all or nothing attitude. ONLY PROBLEM IS the FIA has no idea what constitutes bad driving and it's very likely that someone who wins more races on the track will lose the title by way of having a 25 second time penalty handed down for overtaking a slower car.

They went from 10-6-4-3-2-1 to 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 in order to keep the points race going longer. The 4 point gap between 1st and 2nd was allowing drivers who win more to build up a bigger lead sooner. By making the gap closer and extending it to 8 places brought the championship race in tighter and longer (in theory). The new wins based system is RETARDED! and will not go over well in reality, mark my words.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:55 am

I don't think that change was to make the points race last longer, as most seasons have been decided in the last race. The main reason was to provide more point-scoring positions, meaning lower end teams didn't always end up with shitty, sponsor-losing 0 point seasons. Plus the FIA is gay.

9 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 was the best and most logical points structure.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 pm

big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:19 pm

big_jesus wrote:wellp, never mind. they axed it for a year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7955790.stm

Yes, there is some sanity in F1. I doubt it will go to the stupid wins base system. I fail to see what the urgency was to change from the current point system anyways.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 pm

I think they should go to a system where the person who wins the last race of the season wins the championship.

But they don't tell anyone until half way through the last race of the season!
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:03 am

thewalrus wrote:I think they should go to a system where the person who wins the last race of the season wins the championship.

But they don't tell anyone until half way through the last race of the season!

I agree with all of the above, except that it should be the guy who comes third.

Swerve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down