Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taurus SHO revealed! AWD!

+5
SBF
thewalrus
1300ZUK
JaysonAych
big_jesus
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Taurus SHO revealed! AWD! - Page 2 Empty Re: Taurus SHO revealed! AWD!

Post by big_jesus Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 pm

honor man wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
Omni wrote:It looks like it's going to be pretty badass but that's way too fucking expensive.

what the hell are you talking about?

It may be comparably priced with more "premium" priced vehicles in that range, but it remains to be seen if the buying public will take a near 40K Taurus seriously. Many would probably expect that it would be budget-priced since it's "just a Ford."

so maybe they should have made this platform some sort of lincoln model and made the sho a less expensive v8 rwd model :talon2:

but nobody really buys lincolns.
i think this car is a great idea.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Omni wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
Omni wrote:It looks like it's going to be pretty badass but that's way too fucking expensive.

It may be comparably priced with more "premium" priced vehicles in that range, but it remains to be seen if the buying public will take a near 40K Taurus seriously. Many would probably expect that it would be budget-priced since it's "just a Ford."

Exactly. And honestly, how many people are going to buy a Taurus when they can get an Evo or Sti for about the same amount of money?
plenty of people who don't like imports or compact cars or jarring rides. comparing those two classes of cars is useless.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:02 pm

JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

well the only way to turn that viewpoint around is to start making great cars here again. that car looks plenty nice to me. inside and out. and the performance to boot. looks worth the money.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

big_jesus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

well the only way to turn that viewpoint around is to start making great cars here again. that car looks plenty nice to me. inside and out. and the performance to boot. looks worth the money.

Still seems risky to me. Maybe it's the Taurus name. But when I, and I'm sure others who are even less knowledgable about cars (if such a despicable creature exists), think "Taurus" I think about those creaky old mid-90s wagons with the wierdly rounded lights, and rusted out hulks populating automotive graveyards. When I think $40,000.00 car I think BMW, Lexus, Audi, Infinity, top end Toyotas and Hondas, and what not. This might as substantively good as any of those, but they are fighting a heck of a marketing battle against brands traditionally considered more luxurious and / or more reliable. Sure there are people who will always prefer domestics. But are those people enough? Is a good test drive or favorable review enough to win people over?
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:34 pm

big_jesus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

For the record, I think it's worth the money, and if I had $38K to spend on a car, I'd keep it on my short list. There are a lot of people however who would think it's not worth it because of the name or because it's American.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 pm

When I worked at Panda Express in college my Asian boss had a mid 90s SHO with leather seats, manual tranny, etc. I gotta admit, there is something kind of badass about those cars.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:50 pm

thewalrus wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

Still seems risky to me. Maybe it's the Taurus name. But when I, and I'm sure others who are even less knowledgable about cars (if such a despicable creature exists), think "Taurus" I think about those creaky old mid-90s wagons with the wierdly rounded lights, and rusted out hulks populating automotive graveyards. When I think $40,000.00 car I think BMW, Lexus, Audi, Infinity, top end Toyotas and Hondas, and what not. This might as substantively good as any of those, but they are fighting a heck of a marketing battle against brands traditionally considered more luxurious and / or more reliable. Sure there are people who will always prefer domestics. But are those people enough? Is a good test drive or favorable review enough to win people over?

firstly, the taurus was a fantastic car when it came out, and TONS of people bought one--at one time it was the best selling car in the US. it sold fantastically, and they won a lot of awards. so.

secondly, a lot of people remember the SHO fondly, and for what it was, it sold pretty well. Ford has gone to great lengths to keep those people pleased. that's how you wage this kind of marketing war--you start with your loyalty base and move outwards.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 pm

big_jesus wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

firstly, the taurus was a fantastic car when it came out, and TONS of people bought one--at one time it was the best selling car in the US. it sold fantastically, and they won a lot of awards. so.

secondly, a lot of people remember the SHO fondly, and for what it was, it sold pretty well. Ford has gone to great lengths to keep those people pleased. that's how you wage this kind of marketing war--you start with your loyalty base and move outwards.

Fine. Fair enough. But that's not my point. To the average person on the street my guess is that the word 'Taurus' is more evocative of basic, plebian transportation. The fact that it was a fantastic car when it came out in no way changes what I think is the majority belief that Taurus = Taurus SHO revealed! AWD! - Page 2 2002-Ford-Taurus-02113331990002
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 pm

that is a taurus, yes.
a base model taurus.

the $40,000 version is the SHO, which looks different, drives a lot different, and everyone knows it. the SHO is a cult sleeper car.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm

and i do realize the contradiction between "everyone knows it" and "sleeper" but it's kinda true.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:07 pm

big_jesus wrote:and i do realize the contradiction between "everyone knows it" and "sleeper" but it's kinda true.

I know exactly what your saying. But I'm still worried. I hope this works for Ford, and, in particular, I hope that the base Taurus is a really high quality car. The SHO, I'm sure, will be popular with people who already know what it is.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:24 pm

why are you worried? do you have stock in ford or something?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:29 pm

honor man wrote:why are you worried? do you have stock in ford or something?

As much as I like imported cars more than domestics, seeing the complete collapse of the American auto industry would be a bad thing. I want to see Ford do well, and I'd like to see them create cars I'd actually want to buy.

It not so much as I'm personally worried for the company, as it is that my hope is that a certain event takes place, and I'm worried when things occur that may cause problems towards that end.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 pm

thewalrus wrote:

As much as I like imported cars more than domestics, seeing the complete collapse of the American auto industry would be a bad thing. I want to see Ford do well, and I'd like to see them create cars I'd actually want to buy.

It not so much as I'm personally worried for the company, as it is that my hope is that a certain event takes place, and I'm worried when things occur that may cause problems towards that end.

Note to Wally you DON'T like the domestics, it's not about you liking imports more. You'd rather get aids then own a domestic. :shrug:
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 pm

thewalrus wrote:
big_jesus wrote:and i do realize the contradiction between "everyone knows it" and "sleeper" but it's kinda true.

I know exactly what your saying. But I'm still worried. I hope this works for Ford, and, in particular, I hope that the base Taurus is a really high quality car. The SHO, I'm sure, will be popular with people who already know what it is.

According to you it can't be because it's a domestic. And since you are a so called expert (even if never owning a domestic) you must be correct? :lol:
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:27 pm

big_jesus wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
big_jesus wrote:
JaysonAych wrote:
big_jesus wrote:

Oh no, you and the millions who bought Taurus models are wrong. Wally and a few other so called experts here :lol: know better that any domestic is junk? He'd rather get aids the own one. :sids motherfuckin a
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

hahaha you just don't get it...
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

Note to Wally you DON'T like the domestics, it's not about you liking imports more. You'd rather get aids then own a domestic. :shrug:

maybe you DON'T like imports, and already have AIDS. You have AIDS don't you.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Les_Vipers_rule wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

maybe you DON'T like imports, and already have AIDS. You have AIDS don't you.

Hey learn to read, I said nothing against not liking imports. Unlike you I've owned both domestics and imports and have liked things and not other things in both. My next car will likely be an import only because I like two models that just happen to be imports. I'm not an idiot making unfounded and foolish statements that domestics are crap.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:27 am

:roflmao:
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum