Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra rare Bugatti find

+9
Swerve
Pete.Z
Aristotle
JaysonAych
Tailhappy
thewalrus
1300ZUK
Olds
Bluntman
13 posters

Go down

Ultra rare Bugatti find Empty Ultra rare Bugatti find

Post by Bluntman Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Bluntman
Bluntman
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Ultra rare Bugatti find Empty Re: Ultra rare Bugatti find

Post by Olds Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 pm

what kind of fucking DOUCHE would leave a car like that to get into such shape. what a fucking DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!
Olds
Olds
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Olds Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:53 pm

The orthopedic surgeon, who died at age 89, was described by relatives as an eccentric hoarder who never threw anything out. He also left behind an Aston Martin, which was sold, and a Jaguar sports car that was scrapped because it was in such poor condition.

Oh, okay. That kind of DOUCHE.
Olds
Olds

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 pm

I think when i buy a house, i'm only going to buy them if they have POS's in a barn/garage.

I'll be the richest man with a 84 Pontiac Phoenix, it will go to auction and sell for tens of dollars.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Olds wrote:
The orthopedic surgeon, who died at age 89, was described by relatives as an eccentric hoarder who never threw anything out. He also left behind an Aston Martin, which was sold, and a Jaguar sports car that was scrapped because it was in such poor condition.

It's well known that orthopedic surgeons are the primitive cavemen of the medical field.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:37 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Olds wrote:

It's well known that orthopedic surgeons are the primitive cavemen of the medical field.

All they do is collect bones.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 pm

1300ZUK wrote:I think when i buy a house, i'm only going to buy them if they have POS's in a barn/garage.

I'll be the richest man with a 84 Pontiac Phoenix, it will go to auction and sell for tens of dollars.
wub

Ultra rare Bugatti find 71138608_tp
My babysitter had one. I remember sitting in the front seat (where I shouldn't have, only being 8 or so) and marvelling at all the center stack gauges (that didn't work) and wondering what the "LJ" stood for. One time she slammed her kid's fingers in the trunk. Panel gaps were so big he didn't feel a thing.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:19 pm

the only reason why kids shouldn't sit in the front is because of air bags. Don't worry you were likely to die in it anyway.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tailhappy Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Airbags and fucking with the radio.
Tailhappy
Tailhappy

http://takurospirit.kinja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:11 pm

1300ZUK wrote:I think when i buy a house, i'm only going to buy them if they have POS's in a barn/garage.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm

man - all original parts and shit. that's pretty badass.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete.Z Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:28 pm

This car is not a real barn find,since the Bugatti club knew it was there.
it was only the owner who didn't want to sell it.
Pete.Z
Pete.Z
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.
Guess I'm still Ray Bolger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:14 pm

And there's probably a reason the poor guy didn't want his greedy relatives knowing about it.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:05 pm

smelly has 5 all in worse condition

fish
On some boards, you might have Jefferson's Status. Here, naught but misery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristotle Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 am

Swerve wrote:And there's probably a reason the poor guy didn't want his greedy relatives knowing about it.

haha i was thinking the same.
Aristotle
Aristotle

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Swerve wrote:And there's probably a reason the poor guy didn't want his greedy relatives knowing about it.

But at the same time, fucking look at it. It doesn't seem like he was overly concerned with keeping it in good condition. He could have at least kept a damn cover on it.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 pm

god you guys are fags. who cares? cars rot and die. at least he kept it in a real garage with a concrete floor instead of actually in some barn on the dirt.
big_jesus
big_jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 am

big_jesus wrote:god you guys are fags. who cares? cars rot and die. at least he kept it in a real garage with a concrete floor instead of actually in some barn on the dirt.

It sounds to me like you're the fag and not an auto enthusiast. Remember the title of the original forum? Considering that the guy kept the car secret from his family I'm sure he was well aware of its worth. Anyone who owns something like that, knows the value, and doesn't take excellent care of it is fucking retarded.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:06 am

Omni wrote:
big_jesus wrote:god you guys are fags. who cares? cars rot and die. at least he kept it in a real garage with a concrete floor instead of actually in some barn on the dirt.

It sounds to me like you're the fag and not an auto enthusiast. Remember the title of the original forum? Considering that the guy kept the car secret from his family I'm sure he was well aware of its worth. Anyone who owns something like that, knows the value, and doesn't take excellent care of it is fucking retarded.

See I don't agree. We don't know why he was holding on to it. The guy was old. I suspect he had a personal attachment to the car, but neither the time, ability, nor finances to really restore it. I'm sure he knew how valuable it was, and I'm sure he knew his family would try and force a sale (under the guise of being for his benefit, but, really, it would be for theirs).

Cars are things. We shouldn't forget that. We might be auto-enthusiasts... but that doesn't mean we should make cars more important than they are. They're very well organized hunks of metal, rubber, plastic, wiring, etc. They aren't people. They aren't animals. They don't deserve moral recognition.

Would I would love to have access to a Bugatti like that. Naturally. But I won't judge this guy on what he did with is. There are far too many unknowns, and it isn't my place anyway.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 am

thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:

See I don't agree. We don't know why he was holding on to it. The guy was old. I suspect he had a personal attachment to the car, but neither the time, ability, nor finances to really restore it. I'm sure he knew how valuable it was, and I'm sure he knew his family would try and force a sale (under the guise of being for his benefit, but, really, it would be for theirs).

Cars are things. We shouldn't forget that. We might be auto-enthusiasts... but that doesn't mean we should make cars more important than they are. They're very well organized hunks of metal, rubber, plastic, wiring, etc. They aren't people. They aren't animals. They don't deserve moral recognition.

Would I would love to have access to a Bugatti like that. Naturally. But I won't judge this guy on what he did with is. There are far too many unknowns, and it isn't my place anyway.

There may be many unknowns but the dude was a doctor and owned a car that is worth 4 million dollars. I'm going to guess he could afford to maintain a car he never used. Cars may just be things but something like that is an investment. You wouldn't buy a 200k house and not maintain it so why not maintain a 4 million dollar uber rare car?
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:22 am

Omni wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:

There may be many unknowns but the dude was a doctor and owned a car that is worth 4 million dollars. I'm going to guess he could afford to maintain a car he never used. Cars may just be things but something like that is an investment. You wouldn't buy a 200k house and not maintain it so why not maintain a 4 million dollar uber rare car?

You don't know what his finances were like. A lot of docs struggle. Especially in retirement since they usually don't have a pension. And who knows. Maybe he threw his money after other things - kids, etc and is now just getting by. Similarly, it might be an investment to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean he looked at it as an investment. People - especially older people - keep things around simply because they like them. Because they have some significance - emotional, historical, etc. A lot of these things are incredibly valuable. Just watch antique road show. They won't sell them, ever. They aren't investments to them. They approach the whole situation from an entirely different perspective. Can't fault them for that.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:25 am

thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:

You don't know what his finances were like. A lot of docs struggle. Especially in retirement since they usually don't have a pension. And who knows. Maybe he threw his money after other things - kids, etc and is now just getting by. Similarly, it might be an investment to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean he looked at it as an investment. People - especially older people - keep things around simply because they like them. Because they have some significance - emotional, historical, etc. A lot of these things are incredibly valuable. Just watch antique road show. They won't sell them, ever. They aren't investments to them. They approach the whole situation from an entirely different perspective. Can't fault them for that.

Regardless of his finances I think you or I could afford to keep that car cleaned up and covered up if we had the will to do so. You're probably right about his reason for keeping it around though. His family did describe him as "an eccentric hoarder."
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 am

Omni wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Omni wrote:

Regardless of his finances I think you or I could afford to keep that car cleaned up and covered up if we had the will to do so. You're probably right about his reason for keeping it around though. His family did describe him as "an eccentric hoarder."

I think that 'hoarding' is just a symptom of getting older. I mean when I was 10 years old I only had one or two possessions that I really really didnt' want to get rid of. My cold war microscope, and a letter from Dr. Ballard. When I was 20 that increased to more than a handful. My guitars, my piano. The same things I had at 10 years old, my degree, etc. 5 years later I have even more things I don't want to let go of and will probably have for years, decades even. I think that's normal. After 7 decades of life experiences I imagine that you can aquire quite a few priceless possessions.

In terms of not looking after it, I think that keeping it clean is a viable comment. But even if you put a car cover on it, if you leave it for a year or longer it'll get dirty. The guy's old, tired, etc. For someone in the later years of life, I'm sure even cleaning a car regularly is a fairly tough job.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:36 am

Shit I saw the picture and thought it looks pretty good. It's not that bad, someone will restore it and still make a profit.
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down