Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built

3 posters

Go down

Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built Empty Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built

Post by JaysonAych Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:16 am

http://jalopnik.com/5101872/british-man-cobbles-together-last-jaguar-e+type-from-31+year+old-factory-leftovers

At the end of a production run of cars, there are inevitably bits and pieces left behind which aren't assembled and have to be taken off the production line in the boxes they came in. When production on the Jaguar E-Type ended at Browns Lane in 1974, just such a thing happened, and a Jag fanatic picked up those truckloads of leftovers and kept them — for 31 years. When he got tired of being their steward he sold them to an enterprising fellow who thought of another Jag fanatic who might be able to make something of these parts. Turns out the kit was complete enough to finish one final 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12. With truckloads of parts and a buyer in mind, then-owner Mike Wilkinson went to go see Ray Parrott, enthusiast and restorer extraordinaire. Together they took an exhaustive inventory of the parts included in the leftovers and discovered that about 95% of the components needed to actually build an original car were there.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built Empty Re: Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built

Post by thewalrus Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Beautiful car. Although the Series IIIs always seemed a little less sleek than the older models. And from what I understand the I6 was miles better than the V12.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built Empty Re: Add one more to the number of 1974 E-Types built

Post by thewalrus Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:37 pm

Still.... I'd love one.
thewalrus
thewalrus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Where'd my reply go? As I thought I'd said, the Series III E-Type looks nothing like those pics. That's a Series 1 with some other car's taillights.

The Series III is quite ugly, due to the taller cabin and 2+2 layout.

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Swerve wrote:Where'd my reply go? As I thought I'd said, the Series III E-Type looks nothing like those pics. That's a Series 1 with some other car's taillights.

The Series III is quite ugly, due to the taller cabin and 2+2 layout.

Were all Series III 2+2? I know in America they had ugly black bumpers. But the headlights look to be Series III as well. As does the interior.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down