Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the new beetles

5 posters

Go down

the new beetles Empty the new beetles

Post by Honor Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm

its funny they are so far away from the concept of the old beetle. They are expensive front wheel drive front engine turbocharged liquid cooled premium gasoline and they can be had with lots of options and luxury.they have the same name and a slight similarity in appearance only. otherwise they really couldn't be much more different than they already are.
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

the new beetles Empty Re: the new beetles

Post by Honor Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:11 pm

shit the new Beatles probably have more in common with a 911 then an old beetle
Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Honor wrote:shit the new Beatles probably have more in common with a 911 then an old beetle
Aside from the engine and the transmission and the drive wheels being on opposite sides of the car, I guess.  If anything I'd say that the old Beetles have more in common with a new 911 than a new Beetles does.  New Beetles being far closer to Golfs and Jettas now.

That said, I really like what they've done with the redesign.  It's a good look for the car.  Sportier.  Way better looking than the old "three overlapping domes" style of the previous generation.  The Beetle Turbo was also a whole ton of fun to drive.  About as much as my GTI was...
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Thats true, yeah.

Can you even get a non turbo beetle anymore?
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by thewalrus Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Honor wrote:Thats true, yeah.

Can you even get a non turbo beetle anymore?
Oh yeah dude. They still have the 2.5, I believe. That's the basic engine, and I think that's their best seller. And they just introduced a TDI (I guess, technically turbocharged). The TDI is pretty cool - lots of torque. Lots of fun to drive.
thewalrus
thewalrus

Back to top Go down

Post by 1300ZUK Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Yeah I had a rental beetle a few months ago with the 2.5. That shit was slow and heavy feeling.

1300ZUK

Back to top Go down

Post by JaysonAych Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Honor wrote:its funny they are so far away from the concept of the old beetle. They are expensive front wheel drive front engine turbocharged liquid cooled premium gasoline and they can be had with lots of options and luxury.they have the same name and a slight similarity in appearance only. otherwise they really couldn't be much more different than they already are.
The thing is in the heyday of the original Beetle, if you wanted a simple, small, economical, no-frills piece of transportation, the Beetle had little worthy competition in the American market.  Most automakers were still building giant land barges, and even what was considered a "small" American car was pretty big.  Buyers wanting a cheap small car didn't have much of any place else to turn.

Now in 2013, with all the changes in the market in the last 50 years, changes in customer expectations, more diversified lineups, and strong competition, if VW of 2013 sold a basic, cheap, no-frills econo-Beetle, there's no way they could price it to be a better alternative to a 5-year old Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla that does have nice toys, comfort options, respectable power, safety, etc.
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Swerve Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 am

Is the forum ordering posts wrong again? This one must be circa 2001...

Swerve
My hope has been emancipated, and I'm reconstructing my anguish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum