Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Brian O'Conner

+6
ryguy79
Tailhappy
Pennzoil GT-R
thewalrus
Honor
Talon
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RIP Brian O'Conner - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Brian O'Conner

Post by JaysonAych Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:44 am

I see what SBF is trying to say, that at that particular point in Jackson's life, he wasn't dominating entertainment news, radio stations, and MTV like he did in his heyday.  I understand what SBF means though I would argue Jackson was never relegated to C-status.  He was still a huge deal and he still sold the shit out of every album he released leading up to his death, and I remember him still getting a decent amount of airplay in the 90s.  Yes, he was maybe a bit lower profile as the 90s went on and as newer acts came along and general music tastes changed and the child abuse allegations started coming out, but he was still Michael Jackson and whenever there was a release or some news, people talked about him.  Maybe it's because I'm a few years older, and as a kid I started noticing pop music right as the Thriller album blew up (and he'd already made a name for himself in the 70s leading up to that), but I totally get all the fanfare around his death.  If you were young enough that you might not have started noticing Jackson until after Bad (and I'm just speculating, I don't know), then I can see where he may not have seemed all that big a deal at the time.  But he was every bit as big of a sensation as Elvis, if not more so, and I'd say he had a pretty solid 8 years or so where he was the biggest deal in pop music by far and that affected a LOT of people.

Last edited by JaysonAych on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaysonAych
JaysonAych
Administrator of Rue and/or Woe

https://aflite.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 am

SBF wrote:Why so serious Honor? I never said he wasn't popular.

Maybe I didn't phrase it properly, but what I meant to say he had completely fallen off the radar, almost completely. He only emerged when he started all the rehersals for his tour that didn't happen because he died.

My whole point was that nobody talked about him, nobody played his music, and when he died, it was the second coming of Christs death.

IMO, up to his death he was not that popular anymore, at least here in the US and that was what I was getting at.

I'm not being super serious, sorry if I came off that way. just passing the time ya know?

Honor
Honor
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 am

I probably know like three MJ songs. I always thought he sucked, and his creepiness always outweighed any talents that he had.
Talon
Talon
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm. I was going to say that I love that this topic was about the other guy. Which I do.

I read the first 10 or so posts and they were all good. Then I saw Talon's post above about knowing three MJ songs and how he sucked. I'm not sure what happened in the 20 posts I didn't read, but apparently it went hugely off topic.

Talon, I don't listen to music at all, yet I know a lot more Michael Jordan songs than that and they are all awesome. I'm not sure what is wrong with you.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:04 pm

dunnas wrote:

Talon, I don't listen to music at all, yet I know a lot more Michael Jordan songs than that and they are all awesome.  I'm not sure what is wrong with you.  

:sids motherfuckin a 
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:32 pm

I was just me being stupid there.  I know the difference between Jordan and the singer guy :roflmao: 

It is potentially far less stupid than someone claiming that they only know three Michael Jackson songs though.  That said, I could probably only come up with a few names of them, but I would know a dozen more when heard them (maybe).  I just don't listen to music myself and just listen to podcasts instead, but used to hear some music. I think I know MJ from that.  

Well, that depends on how Bad I am, and how Black or White you see things in this day and age.  You probably think things are thrilling even if they aren't that exciting, and probably talked to Billie Jean about them.  You might think things are easy these days with all the technology we have, but are they as easy as A B C, or 1 2 3?  We'll never know.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm Bad
Thriller
That Free Willy song
Billie Jean

Maybe I've heard more, but I couldn't name another. Hell, I don't even know what the Free Willy song was but I saw that movie when I was younger so I'm counting it.  :highfive: 
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Haha.  you questioned me saying Michael Jordan.  I like that.  I was just fucking about.

I wasn't aware of "you will be there".  The free willy song apparently".  That was nice.  I like the few songs that you did have, although I am disappointed you didn't have the quintessential Jackson Five, which I did end with with D and 4. But things got too confusing.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum