Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This picture is just so compelling to view

+6
Talon
dunnas
big_jesus
ascona
VS
Les_Vipers_rule
10 posters

Go down

This picture is just so compelling  to view Empty This picture is just so compelling to view

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

This picture is just so compelling  to view Lunch1

It is amazing how things were so different. I highly doubt workers today would be sitting without safety gear on so many stories up on an iron I-beam to have lunch/break together. I look at this pic and it makes me so want to see more of what was going on that day and to also want to get into the minds of the workers depicted in it. Who are they and how did they get use to and or deal with such things and heights and to appear to take their safety so simply. I am assuming it's a photo likely in NYC based on the albeit faded back ground in the photo and what appears to be from so high up. I bet it's an image from the Empire State Building (built during 1930-31) as it was being built, but that is only an assumption on my part as per this photo.

Anyways I figure you all would enjoy having a look at this piece of history in black and white.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule
The only thing that excites me anymore is ennui.

Back to top Go down

This picture is just so compelling  to view Empty Re: This picture is just so compelling to view

Post by VS Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Most likely the empire. The guys are immigrant workers, there were no other jobs to be had....desperate times. Just look at the burj dubai (or whatever it's called now) and the guys who built it.
VS
VS
Woe woe bo-boe, Banana fana fo foe, Fee fi mo-moe. Woe!

Back to top Go down

This picture is just so compelling  to view Empty Re: This picture is just so compelling to view

Post by ascona Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:42 pm

that's a pretty old thing, though... it's even on the canteen wall at work. i'd've thought everybody had already seen it heaps of times, as it's a pretty cliche thing to have on the wall....
ascona
ascona
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

http://tutter.net

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:48 pm

VS
VS

Back to top Go down

Post by big_jesus Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

those guys ALL hate black dudes, les. is that why you posted this? racist.
big_jesus
big_jesus
You have a long way to go before achieving total failure, but you're on the right path

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm

IT IS FUCKING SPAM

DO NOT CLICK THAT\

FUCKING HELL< I THING BJ IS TAKEN TOO
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Talon Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 pm

One big gust of wind... that's all it'd take. :undies:
Talon
Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by VS Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Talon brings this shitshow right back on track.
VS
VS

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 pm

This picture is just so compelling  to view Maxi-Posters-Asleep-on-girder-71806
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by dunnas Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Somehow VS's profile has been taken over. Delete this now.
dunnas
dunnas

Back to top Go down

Post by Les_Vipers_rule Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:23 pm

ascona wrote:This picture is just so compelling  to view Maxi-Posters-Asleep-on-girder-71806

Yeah another cool pic. It's amazing stuff. I doubt many people would be so cavalier about their safety especially today but like it was noted earlier, it was a different era and one of rough times for all too many workers especially immigrants of the day.
Les_Vipers_rule
Les_Vipers_rule

Back to top Go down

Post by ascona Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Les_Vipers_rule wrote:I doubt many people would be so cavalier about their safety especially today but like it was noted earlier,

plenty people still are, but most of them are outside the US. the ones inside the US, i'd assume they'd just be in the business for the payout for their families.
ascona
ascona

Back to top Go down

Post by Honor Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:51 am

just looking at those pics makes me nervous. those guys were nuts.
Honor
Honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbojett Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 am

srsly. I'm afraid of heights, i get the creepy crawlies just looking at that.
Turbojett
Turbojett

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Edge Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:22 am

This picture is just so compelling  to view 1299613079410
The_Edge
The_Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by 00ranger Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

In a class in college I was told that many of those pictures where staged. Still scary as shit though
00ranger
00ranger
No no...more like RUE WOEger
No no...more like RUE WOEger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down